Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Salami Inferno KDF News (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=391791)

majesticmsfc 09-20-2012 12:33 AM

Salami Inferno KDF News

I skimmed the interview, as I often don't like reading all the useless nonsense regards what the Federation is getting. However I picked up a few key points that I thought I'd post here.

Now I could comment on all this, but in the mood I am in, it's be very negative and frustrating. KDF content as an option, other things take priority. Not surprised but clearly the Dev's have their heads in the clouds. What more can I say without saying something unkind?

I'll let you all read it and see for yourself.

Quote:

Creamy: Alright. I think I?m just going to go in order, basically. I actually don?t have the names of the people who asked these questions, so I apologise to everybody out there who may be listening, but if you recognise your question you can kinda give a silent ?whoohoo? and then know that your question?s being answered, so right off bat we?re going to go with, with the end of Star Trek Online in Vegas and the rumours of very good positive growth of Cryptic for the future seasons, can the KDF look forward to some KDF specific growth in their factional gameplay?

Salami: Ah, I hope so. It?s been bounced around, we?ve been talking about it. As usual, I can?t confirm or guarantee anything, but we would definitely like to add some specific KDF content in the future.

Creamy: Okay. So, it?s kinda on the board that KDF is going to be getting an update, there?s going to be some more KDF stuff coming, that?s definitely a direction that Cryptic wants to go in?

Salami: It?s a direction we want to go but, you know, we have to see which things take priority. It?s on the board as on option.
Quote:

Creamy: Alright, and one player here, and again I apologize for not having a name for whoever you might be out there, was asking about specifically about, will it be a better version of Barrell(sp?) that puts them on par with the Defiant, and speaking of the Defiant, where there be a battle cloak option on it? In deep space nine, the defiant you tried to or successfully cloaked or tried to in heated battle was able to get away, it just seems kinda fanatic that the defiant doesn?t have the battle cloak, can you share any light on that?

Salami: I love the defiant and when we were designing the defiant, I begged for it to have a battle cloak, I wanted the battle cloak so bad. We decided to leave it out for balance purposes, and faction harmony, klingons only feature, we are taking the cloak from them so we can have it, we didn?t need to take their best cloak that?s out there for them, so that, that was a balance and design decision to just have a standard cloak, but believe me, I fly my defiant and I absolutely would love for it to have a battle cloak instead of the standard cloak. For the Barrell, it?s possible we could make a upgraded version or possibly even a fleet version of that ship that has some better stats that can bring it up there, but, never count it out.
Quote:

Creamy: Question the Romulan Faction the probably the number one long term question on players minds if not the number one long term question on the minds of the producers of STO. It has been said that more work needs to be done on KDF to flesh out that faction before any considerations can be made for a third faction although this is an ethical stance taken but in reality some may say this is impractical. Some would say that the KDF ship has already sailed some time ago that no matter what Cryptic does not put in the KDF side that the KDF players will not be satisfied. I have noticed that the despite every improvement, addition or adjustment to the KDF faction people are not satisfied. It is never enough some people sometimes, people are down right thankless no matter what work is put into the faction to bring it up to par with the Federation side. However from the business prospective this is an albatross around Cryptics neck there is no moving forward achieving goals of KDF cos the players move the goal post each time that progress is made. Lets not kid ourselves that there is a gold mine staring Cryptic in the face in when it comes to playable Romulan faction and there are a lot of players who finally want to be able to fly that D'deridex. My question is this in your opinion what specific criteria need to be met on Cryptics side before producers should say ?OK the KDF has had enough lets devote resources to a Romulan Faction??

Salami: We just have to say that we are going to do it. It is something that we have talked about even since launch. Well like OK we will do this with season 1 and when we get the level increase it is just a significant amount of work and so we have just got to decide that we want to do it and the Klingon content even though we compressed where they start but the progression they have from I believe is it from 22-50 is solid it is not a grind anymore there are episodes filled in there you have the duty officer system you have got a lot of systems in place to make sure that it is not a content grind. I think the only thing that is holding us back now finally deciding that we need to out in the herculean effort to actually create a new faction.

Creamy: Alright I am actually going to tack on one of my own questions and ask, is the fact you know a lot players want to jump in and create a KDF character right away and they can?t do it I have to level a Fed to 22 and they do that and they go and play there KDF and all is well. What I am wondering is why isn?t Cryptic - KDF players kind of feel a little betrayed and a little thrown off to the side and as a Federation player I have always loved Fed ever since I was watching Star Trek since I was a kid and I loved the Federation the Klingons were always nice but they where not my primary cup of tea I have my KDF character which I enjoy playing but I like my Fed more I am going to be an advocate for the KDF here and say why isn?t cryptic devoting some serious attention to the KDF and say you know what we are going to do we are gonna kinda put some Fed stuff aside and do some KDF only content flesh out the levels 1-22

Salami: overhauling that it is a significant amount of time and the vast majority of players even now after free to play are Federation so if we spent a ton of time making enough playable content to fill out levels 1-22 that is a ton of time that the majority of the payer aren?t getting anything new. So that is again just another judgement call that we have to make.

Creamy: I see that but my question is where is the? Maybe theres, Maybe I am too idealistic or maybe I feel like build it and they will come philosophy is a little more, maybe I put too much stock into that but I feel that if there was some serious effort and Cryptics where to say ?Hey we are looking after you guys we are trying to make you guys happy? I feel like there is new missions in general attract players new content if you where to say ?hey we have 5 new missions over here on the KDF side that we put a lot work into. Why don?t you guys come over and play ?em?? I really think that the players would move over and at least maybe try and maybe get some more KDF content out there. Is that something that has been discussed or is that just not how it works and maybe I am a little to optimistic?

Salami: We have discussed it as recently as this week at the leads meeting about ways to fill out Klingon content so that they can have a complete experience. So it is not something that we have forgotten, its just like forget its that is Klingon?s it is something always on our minds. How can we fill this out with the resources we have how can we really get them going so that it is a full and complete faction.
The full interview: http://subspace-radio.net/menu-lates...salami-inferno

Just in case you want to check it out, no guarantee I didn't miss something. :P

travelingmaster 09-20-2012 02:28 AM

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

"Some would say that the KDF ship has already sailed some time ago that no matter what Cryptic does not put in the KDF side that the KDF players will not be satisfied. I have noticed that the despite every improvement, addition or adjustment to the KDF faction people are not satisfied. It is never enough some people sometimes, people are down right thankless no matter what work is put into the faction to bring it up to par with the Federation side. However from the business prospective this is an albatross around Cryptics neck there is no moving forward achieving goals of KDF cos the players move the goal post each time that progress is made."

Oh, I'm terribly sorry. Are we not being sufficiently grateful enough for the occasional crumbs that are thrown at what' is SUPPOSED to be the 'opposing faction'? Shall we just roll over and grovel at your feet, self-righteous fedbears? You, who get a new friggin ship every 2-3 months, tons of customization options, and having all the new content biased towards your storyline (2800, anyone?).

All the KDF has asked is that the faction be treated as an equal to the Federation, on equal footing. That is something the faction NEVER got, and its membership and activity suffers for it. We've had to be content with occasional paltry scraps thrown our way and empty promises. We've had to be content with buggy KDF content, buggy battlecloaks (oh, sorry, it's a 'intended feature' now), etc. On top of that. . .whenever the KDF gets new content, the Feds ALWAYS get something to satisfy their pathetic outrage. . .while we KDF get nothing when the Feddies get new ships, costumes, etc.

We haven't moved the goalposts, the game simply hasn't REACHED the damn posts.

/rant

majesticmsfc 09-20-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelingmaster (Post 5767281)
snip...

I really couldn't put it better myself. Half the reason I didn't want to comment before when I posted the above, just goes to show how one sided everything is here on STO and Cryptic. The game would be so much more successful if Cryptic developed two factions equally like most other MMO's (SWTOR, WoW etc).

Really I wished that Cryptic hadn't gotten the rights to STO, I wished Perpetual had regained the rights, some of their early work was fantastic. If they had kept that quality going and transferred it into the game we'd all would be better off.

jnohd 09-20-2012 06:04 AM

Wow. Remind me to never trust them to conduct an objective interview. Did he seriously work Fed feature requests into a KDF-centric session? AND criticize the community, AND lead the guest repeatedly into answers?

Ok, l get that the news industry is now filled with a ton of bad examples in biased news gathering these days, just shocked to see it here.

EDIT - Just realized thisis not the interview I was expecting. Salami, be careful not to let these hacks lead you too much. That interview was a great ego stroke for the interviewer, addressing predominantly their own concerns and opinions, and while I recognize professonalisim in the age of citizen-journalism is scarce, reading a severely subjective piece like this can really infuriate the players it slights.

cliftona91 09-20-2012 06:09 AM

That was just bull. It wasn't objective at all.

I think another Podcast show should of done the interview

levi3 09-20-2012 06:30 AM

After the Ask Cryptic - I posted that every KDF player should should basically just wash their ears/eyes out from anything that DStahl said about doing something with the KDF

"Oh no he said they are planning things" - yah right

Some people were saying that I was trying to darken the mood of players into giving up the fight. Really? I think when you hear what the rest of the dev's who are much more candid and less like a polititan talkng you hear what they really have planned - nothing!!

at least they don't give fake promises any more "yeah well we are thinking about it"

All I can say is that they need to see some money - if they come out with the lock box KDF time ship then every single KDF player should open their 150 boxes to get the ship - show them how much the players really will pay for something new which is KDF.

bitemepwe 09-20-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohd (Post 5768781)
Wow. Remind me to never trust them to conduct a subjective interview. Did he seriously work Fed feature requests into a KDF-centric session? AND criticize the community, AND lead the guest repeatedly into answers?

Ok, l get that the news industry is now filled with a ton of bad examples in biased news gathering these days, just shocked to see it here.

Yes. It appears he did.

I personally hate the fact that I am labeled ungrateful becuase I complain on the state of the KDF. I have enjoyed everything given the KDF and bought almost everything they have sold to us specifically (hell, I even bought the special Envirosuit thingy)
My only complaint is COMPLETE US before you sell the whole KDF to the feds in a lockbox.

What about all the fed cries for more and more? Are they not being just as greedy and ungrateful? Or is this overlooked becuase they are the majority and the Devs do not wish to poison thier milk?

It seems the crawfish days aproach again for anything not fed.:(
Makes me wonder why we as a fanbase support this travesty at times?
It makes me wonder why Cryptic doesn't just listen to the fanbase, finish the job they started and let us enjoy what they would create so they could move onto other things to grow the game?

bitemepwe 09-20-2012 06:40 AM

Be forewarned, the negative nature of this interview and this thread will draw those whom will post in it just to rattle our cages for the sport of doing so.

Do not give in to thier pokes and prods.

cliftona91 09-20-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitemepwe (Post 5769211)
Be forewarned, the negative nature of this interview and this thread will draw those whom will post in it just to rattle our cages for the sport of doing so.

Do not give in to thier pokes and prods.

That's okay, I'll just use my Lethean mind tricks to scare them off lol

*waves hand*

"This is not the thread you want to troll on"

jnohd 09-20-2012 06:54 AM

I think the ungrateful thing bugged me the most. I am enormously grateful for the sustenance we have recieved. At this point however, it is clear some cage rattling will be neccissary to keep attentions on KDF if we are to achive parity before Romulus comes in, and to insist the impact on us is considered when designing them.