Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Romulans Battleships (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=395571)

gwendoline1 09-23-2012 12:36 AM

Romulans Battleships
 
I need some advice on how to take down Romulan Battleships with a Cruiser. What happens is tht I fly towards him, weaken his shield a litle and then: Tractor Beam, 3-5 Plasma torpedoes, Boom! I am defeated again.

It does not matter if I put my shields on 100, try to escape the lock with fancy maneuvering, strrengthen shields etc. It remains Boom, Defeated, Rinse and repeat. So how do I defeat them? I mean there are only so many missions you can skip and it is kinda disheartening. :confused:

vegeta50024 09-23-2012 01:24 AM

They can be tough if you are not aggressive with them. Just keep trying to throw every weapon you can at them.

baudl 09-23-2012 01:57 AM

do not get closer than 5km, otherwise he will tractor you and unload all his power.
you should have atleast one fire at will if you use beams...to take down torpedos fast. Torpedo spread can be helpfull too.

keep your shields up at any time, with BOFF powers such as: Tactical team 1, Transfer shield strength, Reverse shield polarity, Emergency power to shields.

clear plasma dots and eventual hull damage with Hazard emitter 1.
Other hull heals that should be on a cruiser: AUX to Structural integrity field, engineering team (or you use a sci team to keep your shields up)

try to avoid the front of the Warbird, circle it at long distance.

harryquinn 09-23-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwendoline1 (Post 5805661)
I need some advice on how to take down Romulan Battleships with a Cruiser. What happens is tht I fly towards him, weaken his shield a litle and then: Tractor Beam, 3-5 Plasma torpedoes, Boom! I am defeated again.

It does not matter if I put my shields on 100, try to escape the lock with fancy maneuvering, strrengthen shields etc. It remains Boom, Defeated, Rinse and repeat. So how do I defeat them? I mean there are only so many missions you can skip and it is kinda disheartening. :confused:

Rule #1: Stay further out than 5 kilometers. That's the range of the Tractor Beam. If they can't root you, they can't shoot y... No, I lie. They'll shoot you regardless. But by being able to maneuver, you at least have a ghost of a chance.

Rule #2: Don't let them get her bow-on toward you. This is vital. All of those Heavy Plasma Torpedoes are forward-mounted. If you have to cross her, cross her along her aft quadrant. Turn to her aft if you get too close for your own comfort. Never ever let those pointy bits get a clean look at your hull.

Rule #3: Beams are defensive weapons, too. Your most common active defense against the Heavy Plasma Torpedo is Beam Array: Fire At Will. Click that, and all of your beam banks become a massive Point Defense System. Yes, I know. The goal is to kill the enemy ships. Yet you have to be alive for long enough to be able to cause enough damage. And dead ships cause 0 DPS. So take a few moments, survive for another 30 seconds, and keep working that D'deridex down.

Rule #4: The D'deridex is a mean, vicious, cruel, and senseless {CENSORED} whose only love in life is to eat puppies. Cute puppies. With those huge eyes and wiggly butts. And without even adding A-1 Steak Sauce. Always, always, always, ALWAYS remember that.

Rule #5: Does your ship have a Science slot? Of course it does. But did you know that you can buy yourself a Get Out Of Brig Free card by slotting a BOff with Jam Sensors? That essentially kills off their opportunity to swat you out of space for either 12 seconds or 9k damage, whichever comes first. (EDIT) Also, too: Polarize Hull makes you immune to Tractor Beams, as well as increases all damage resistances of your ship. Not too shabby. (/EDIT)

Rule #6: Don't listen to Escort captains. They only know how to kill fast while they're in Escorts. You're not in an Escort, so all their advice will be completely useless to you.

stf65 09-23-2012 06:11 AM

Popping brace for impact before the plasma torpedoes hit will also add 33% to 55%, depending on your rank, kinetic damage resistance to your ship for 6 seconds.

c0nd1t10nr3d 09-23-2012 07:01 AM

Another good defence for those plasma torps is "Eject Warp Plasma". Use this if your "Beam Fire at Will" is on cooldown. Sometimes you may have to hit Evasive first in order to bring your aft to the path of the torps, especially if your in a cruiser with a very low turn rate. Once your in position, hit EWP and puke warp plasma into the path of the torps... They'll die when they make contact with your warp plasma!

Again, this is only one other option available to you and one that you can add to the advice you've already been given above. Use all the above advice wisely and you'll soon be kicking Romulan butt! ;)

PS: Also, it may help if you also invest in Shields with Disruptor resistance and some armour and / or hull plating with Disruptor, Plasma and Kinetic resists.

Good Luck! ;)

ericandrewross 09-23-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baudl (Post 5806001)
do not get closer than 5km, otherwise he will tractor you and unload all his power.
you should have atleast one fire at will if you use beams...to take down torpedos fast. Torpedo spread can be helpfull too.

keep your shields up at any time, with BOFF powers such as: Tactical team 1, Transfer shield strength, Reverse shield polarity, Emergency power to shields.

clear plasma dots and eventual hull damage with Hazard emitter 1.
Other hull heals that should be on a cruiser: AUX to Structural integrity field, engineering team (or you use a sci team to keep your shields up)

try to avoid the front of the Warbird, circle it at long distance.



Quote:

Originally Posted by stf65 (Post 5807391)
Popping brace for impact before the plasma torpedoes hit will also add 33% to 55%, depending on your rank, kinetic damage resistance to your ship for 6 seconds.

These two have it covered. Plus using Evasive Action (think that is what it is called... the crooked arrow icon that makes you super fast and agile) can help you get away from the Torps while you shoot them down.

gwendoline1 09-23-2012 01:00 PM

Some good suggestions, I tried some like using fire at will (failing) and all sorts of defensive acitons (Problem is I get confused with all those icons and often press the wrong one instead)

But trying to get out of his 5km zone sounds like a splendid idea. WIthout his tractor beam, I might have a chance to not be vaporized in scant seconds.

Must look for polarize hull and jam sensors consoles.

Does using evasion help againt tractors? And inertial compensators?

stf65 09-23-2012 01:32 PM

Polaize hull and jam sensors are science boff skills. Evasion will not help you once you have been grabbed, so the best way to avoid being grabbed is staying 5km away. Attack pattern omega will help with the tractor if you have a boff with that ability.

An important ability to have is tactical team. TT will automatically adjust your shields to more strength at whatever side is being attacked. The more sheilds you have up the less damage you will take from torpedoes. Coupling that will brace for impact and/or polarize hull should keep you alive.

lomax6996 09-23-2012 01:50 PM

I've generally found that if I buff my shields then hit Brace for Impact as soon as the Plasma Torps are launched (they're very slow moving) I almost always survive and, often, take only minimal damage from the full spread. It did take me a few tries, though, to get the timing down just right. I have also, on occasion, managed to outrun them by hitting evasive and head away at top speed. Once you get outside the 10k limit they almost always die. Then swing back in and resume fire. As someone pointed out if you keep 5k or farther out you won't trigger that attack. If you get within the 5k just know that it's coming and get ready to buff and/or run.

Never tried the EWP trick... will have to try that one sometime :P


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 PM.