Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Regent class Performance (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=395941)

raj011 09-23-2012 11:16 AM

Regent class Performance

Hi All

This is to those who have the Regent Class (Sovereign Class Refit), I was looking on the regent class page on sto wiki and nothing is mentioned about the performance of this ship and i can't still make up my mind on rather to buy her or not so can you guys and gals tell me what is she like, the good and bad?

Thanks. :)

orondis 09-23-2012 02:46 PM

Good point:-
* Lt Cmdr Tactical AND Ensign Tactial - That lets you take 2x tact team and 2x cannon rapid fire which is great for a cannon build. True it comes at a cost of Lt Cmdr engineering station, but to be honest that's no great loss.
* If the fight is pretty casual with no real risk (say general PvE) you can use the universal slot as another tactical station (giving the ship 6 tac boff powers).
* It comes with a nice 180 degree quantum torp launcher.

Bad point:-

* It doesn't turn as fast as an Excelsior

As someone who has the Regent and the Excelsior I've got to say I prefer the Regent.

raj011 09-23-2012 03:38 PM

what is she like in PVP? Also is she more powerful then the sovereign class or about the same and does she compete with the new Odyssey Class? What about the 2nd console that comes with the regent, meteron gas?

f2pdrakron 09-23-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj011 (Post 5812721)
what is she like in PVP? Also is she more powerful then the sovereign class or about the same and does she compete with the new Odyssey Class? What about the 2nd console that comes with the regent, meteron gas?

Its a Sovereign refit, you can even go with the Sovereign costume if you want and naturally its better that the Sovereign if not just because of the Torpedo Launcher.

As a multirole cruiser its not as good as the Odyssey but no no cruiser is going to touch the Flasgships on versatility due to their Lt. Cmdr universal.

corsair114 09-23-2012 10:38 PM

Stats... shield mod, turn rate, impulse modifier, crew, hull hp, weapon options, and consoles are as the RA Assault Cruiser.

You trade an LTC Engineering BOff power for an LTC Tactical BOff power straight across, and pick up the option two swap what would normally be an LT Science BOff for one of Engineering or Tactical should you wish to, though either of those are not normally as optimal the classic LT Science officer. The BOff layout also means you can eschew Tactical Team Conn Officers in favor of other Duty Officers.

The 180 Degree Quantum Torpdeo launcher provides fantastic synergy for a 7-beam broadside, giving you what is, funtionally, a wide-arc classic Photon Torpedo Launcher damage-wise with an increased crit chance and severity.

The Metreon Gas Canister is an interesting hybrid of snare plus reasonable to good damage, but is easily detonated early and does not continue to slow and damage once a target leaves the initial cloud. It shares a small global cooldown with Eject Warp Plasma.

If you want to use Tricobalt mines on a cruiser, this is the one to use them on, IMO. The Excelsior remains a better ship for cannons and turrets, however, thanks to its higher turn rate.

razellis 09-23-2012 10:55 PM

It's fun. The ability to spam T:spread 3 and T:spread 2 is very nice for PVP and PVE play, the torps will clean out STF content nicely. It wouldn't serve much purpose but I wish both Lt. slots were universal, that's just me being greedy. For PVE/PVP game play using the two sci officer powers for offensive things like TB/TBR or CBP can spice up your game a lot.

red01999 09-24-2012 12:06 AM

The Regent is a very solid ship. It is a "side grade" to the standard Assault Cruiser. With its Lt. Cmdr tactical slot it has a lot more room for firepower and versatility in a tactical sense than the standard AC. However, it sacrifices some tanking for this ability; this is unfortunate but unavoidable.

The universal slot can also be fitted with a tac officer if you like to live dangerously - this will make it the most tactical-ability rich cruiser short of a fully tac-loaded Odyssey class (with both of its universal slots switched to tactical). This means that you are substantially more vulnerable, though, as you would lose out on science.

In terms of the extras, the arc QTorp is awesome. I highly recommend it for any cruiser. The slight loss in DPS is a small price to pay, and it's a nice bonus in that it comes with a regular qtorp launcher as well, which you can use as you see fit (and means you get a two-qtorp set to work with for free). Most will want to get a better one but it's a nice little perk for a new player with little cash that just made VA.

Unfortunately the Metreon Gas is not worth very much IMO. It's difficult to use, and does little damage, although if you have some science skills spec'd it will help. Otherwise it's similar to Eject Warp Plasma.

Compared to the three main competitors it has - the Odyssey, Excelsior-R, and regular AC - it's a good bit slower than the Excelsior. Not HUGELY, but enough that you'll notice. (I have both) However, this is not an insurmountable difference. As a previous poster indicated this makes the Excel-R a superior cannon-ship, although I believe a DBB is viable on the Regent if you put thought into it. It is ALSO, at least by default, slightly slower than the Assault Cruiser. This is due to the differences in power. With a purple Mk X RCS (equiv to Mk XI RCS blue), the Borg Engine, and 6 ranks in Impulse Thrusters and 6 ranks in Starship Engine Performance, my Regent puts out 12.1 deg/sec and the Assault Cruiser puts out 12.3 deg/sec. Not much, but it's there. The Odyssey is more flexible, and a LOT slower - I'd like to compare it to the Odyssey with saucer separation, really. Unfortunately the Odyssey in sep'd mode is faster and has better shields, but worse hull, relatively speaking. However, sep mode has cooldown and other aspects that you have to deal with there.

So in short I would say that the Regent is a very good ship. I'm glad I got it, and although I'm uncertain as to which is better - the Odyssey three-pack (note - three-pack - I don't know that I'd like it as much if I picked up just one Ody) or the Regent - they're both solid ships. Although the Regent is somewhat pricey at $25, I believe it will serve you well.

pottsey5g 09-24-2012 12:10 AM

I do not agree with the Odyssey being more flexible as I feel a Lt. Cmdr tactical a must most of the time leaving the Regent to have the universal slots on anything you like. Plus the extra turn rate opens up more builds then like dual beams which are hard to use on the Ody.

raj011 09-24-2012 06:02 AM

wow thanks all for all the information you have given me. :D When it comes to mixing the other AC's ship parts to the regent, do they fit well?

I not sure though, I still want to buy this ship but for the price they are asking for its a bit high, what would you players addto make it worth the price, or should they just lower the price?

Also has there been any would on the Fleet AC yet?

red01999 09-24-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj011 (Post 5818141)
wow thanks all for all the information you have given me. :D When it comes to mixing the other AC's ship parts to the regent, do they fit well?

I not sure though, I still want to buy this ship but for the price they are asking for its a bit high, what would you players addto make it worth the price, or should they just lower the price?

Also has there been any would on the Fleet AC yet?

In terms of components, I would say most configurations would work, provided they don't use one of the AC's tac slots to house a non-tac universal console. In fact, I literally just stripped out the components from my AC and dumped them into the AC-R and it worked just fine. The Metreon Gas console is rotting my bank, though, unfortunately. Note however that the Metreon Gas console and Arc QTorp can be stuck on your original AC, so if you dislike the AC-R you can go back to your original AC and get some of the benefits anyway.

If you refer to hypothetical things to "add" to it, were we in charge over at Cryptic, I would add a shield modifier to bring it closer to a separated Odyssey, but that's just me, and unlikely to happen with it; either that, or I would lower the price, or possibly lower the minimum rank to command it. That said, I am (or was, before I got used to the Odyssey - now I'm torn) a big enough AC-classic fan that I'd just pay the extra $5. Perhaps not the smartest, but I'm glad I did it, and it means I get an AC variant for every toon for free.

In terms of the Fleet AC, there has been no word. Given the Regent seems to have only done middlingly well in sales (any number of reasons may be possible for this, including possibly "teasing" us with the originally proposed Fleet AC configuration, and keeping the AC fans waiting too long, causing many to just buy other ships), combined with backlash as to its BOff configuration, it's possible there won't be one, although this is unlikely. However, if I understand correctly, it costs one Fleet Ship Module to buy a Fleet version of a ship you own a C-Store version of, and four to buy one you don't, you'd be getting a discount should it show up in the future - especially important if you want it on multiple toons. That said, you will almost certainly need a T5 starbase, which is starting to look like a very unlikely achievement for many fleets, at least if you want to get it sooner than 18-24 months, although as some fleets are already selling access to their starbases for fleet ships you may yet be in luck.