Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Do you label boffs in dialogues or just leave them blank? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=397491)

nagorak 09-24-2012 11:19 PM

Do you label boffs in dialogues or just leave them blank?

With the new ability to label who is speaking in dialogues, we can now name our contacts. Obviously this is pretty straight forward for most contacts (just put whatever their name is, or some other description if it's a mystery).

However, it's a little bit more difficult to decide what to do with bridge officers. Obviously we don't know their names, we don't really know their position on the ship (Chief Engineer, Helmsman, etc). You can label them as "Engineering Officer", but then sometimes a different officer with be substituted if the person doesn't have an officer of that type on their team.

My solution is just to leave the label blank for boffs, but I was wondering what other people thought about this?

markhawkman 09-24-2012 11:51 PM

Regular NPC dialogiue is marked, but i don't bother with Boffs. I can't put in their actual name anyways.

kirksplat 09-25-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagorak (Post 5831341)
With the new ability to label who is speaking in dialogues, we can now name our contacts. Obviously this is pretty straight forward for most contacts (just put whatever their name is, or some other description if it's a mystery).

However, it's a little bit more difficult to decide what to do with bridge officers. Obviously we don't know their names, we don't really know their position on the ship (Chief Engineer, Helmsman, etc). You can label them as "Engineering Officer", but then sometimes a different officer with be substituted if the person doesn't have an officer of that type on their team.

My solution is just to leave the label blank for boffs, but I was wondering what other people thought about this?

I may be the only one, by I name them: Your Tactical Officer, Your Science Officer, etc.

slickrick1707e 09-26-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhawkman (Post 5831671)
Regular NPC dialogiue is marked, but i don't bother with Boffs. I can't put in their actual name anyways.

Since my episodes and stories are in 3rd person, I usually use my bridge officers to be a part of a story. So I label every one of them.

rogueeenterprise 09-26-2012 12:06 PM

This is an interesting issue, it's nice to hear others' opinions on this.

I actually don't label them, mostly because it's nebulous what players think of their own officers. There's the tactical officer, sure, but maybe you think of them more as a security officer... or maybe you have a science boff that is specced medical officer. I realize that the dialogue can't be exact in that way either, but having it spelled out in text just makes it more obvious.

Since you can't put their names in as well, I just think it looks better keeping it blank. You know your boffs by their look... other story NPCs you may not.

markhawkman 09-26-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogueeenterprise (Post 5850031)
This is an interesting issue, it's nice to hear others' opinions on this.

I actually don't label them, mostly because it's nebulous what players think of their own officers. There's the tactical officer, sure, but maybe you think of them more as a security officer... or maybe you have a science boff that is specced medical officer. I realize that the dialogue can't be exact in that way either, but having it spelled out in text just makes it more obvious.

Since you can't put their names in as well, I just think it looks better keeping it blank. You know your boffs by their look... other story NPCs you may not.

that's what I thought.

designationxr377 09-26-2012 01:17 PM

Yeah, I've left them blank for Boffs as well. Better safe then 1 starred by an idiot because he brought all tactical officers on his away team and then blames you.

bazag 09-26-2012 05:39 PM

I use science officer/engineering officer/ tactical officer for away team Boffs and BOFFs while in space.

I use Shipboard X Officer when using ship-based BOFFs on the ground.

The BOFF substitution is exactly why I name them in dialogues because I want it to be clear that is meant to be this type of officer. It also helps avoid confusion when two boffs have differening points of view yet appear as the same BOFF.

psycoticvulcan 09-26-2012 06:55 PM

I leave them blank.

paxfederatica 09-27-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirksplat (Post 5835631)
I may be the only one, by I name them: Your Tactical Officer, Your Science Officer, etc.

I do this too. In my case I use slightly different labels depending on the map type:
  • "Science officer" (space and ground)
  • "Chief engineer" (space)/"Engineering officer" (ground)
  • "Tactical officer" (space)/"Security officer" (ground)

On a related note, this is one more reason why we need dialogue modifiers for BOffs. Of course the dialogue title fields may need to be tweaked to support these modifiers too.