Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Grav Well Question (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=401101)

zanthe25 09-28-2012 08:24 AM

Grav Well Question
 
A quick question about grav well...

I know Grav Well radius is increased by 'Graviton Generators' skill...

But does its pull strength also increase? ie making harder to throttle away?

rodentmaster 10-04-2012 12:49 PM

Not sure. I maxed out my skill points on that one, then on top of that added 3 sci consoles boosting me about an extra +80 skill points total, and using Grav Well 3 (fired with high aux levels), it still barely slows down most borg probes or spheres... I have to eject warp plasma on top of it to get any real damage.

From what I've heard they totally nerfed sci skills, including grav well, before I ever rolled a sci character, so I don't know what it was like in the good old days, I just know NOW it's still pretty weak.

grouchyotaku 10-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmaster (Post 5952951)
... From what I've heard they totally nerfed sci skills, including grav well, before I ever rolled a sci character, so I don't know what it was like in the good old days, I just know NOW it's still pretty weak.

If you really want to see what 'Gravity Well' can do, have 2 Science Players with 'Gravity Well 3' fire it at the same target at the same time... A place with lots of enemy ships flying around close together, (such as the Fed Mirror Event) is a good place to try this...

knocky 10-04-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanthe25 (Post 5876841)
A quick question about grav well...

I know Grav Well radius is increased by 'Graviton Generators' skill...

But does its pull strength also increase? ie making harder to throttle away?

Nope, just increases radious

rodentmaster 10-05-2012 04:56 PM

Graviton Generator doesn't help Grav Wells, though. Particle Generators do.

Graviton Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starsh...ton_Generators

Help tractor beams or repulsors, among other things.

Particle Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starsh...icle_Generator

help damage to grav well, warp plasma, aceton assimilators, isometric, tykens rift, theta vent, and feedback pulse as well as a couple others. I think the repulsors on that link is a mistake.

So, when I started my KDF sci what I did was max out the particle generator, but I knew what skills I would focus on from the start (TR, VM, GW, Iso, Magnetometric pulse, etc) and they all benefitted from particle. So I didn't spec any points into Graviton.

Should I not have done that? Or what?

ericsonxx 10-05-2012 09:18 PM

Then why the hell do you need 6 points in Graviton Generators to get GW3 if it does nothing for it?

rodentmaster 10-06-2012 02:19 AM

that's stupid as heck. I think they mixed them up, personally. So many bugs/oversights in this game. Which sucks because I spec out for GW3 my entire build, but can't train it when all is said and done!

stofsk 10-06-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmaster (Post 5967561)
Graviton Generator doesn't help Grav Wells, though. Particle Generators do.

Graviton Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starsh...ton_Generators

Help tractor beams or repulsors, among other things.

Your link to the wiki says it helps Gravity Well. What do you base your assertion on?

rodentmaster 10-06-2012 11:27 AM

Reading past discussions, talking to people in-game, as well as thoroughly reviewing everything I could before starting my sci build. I put a lot of research into it because my first builds were "see what points I want as I go" and I knew to get the most out of the weak sci build I'd need to be very specific.

EDIT: Also look at it in-game. Particle Generators has a comprehensive list. Graviton just has 3. 2 of them tractor beams, and photonic shockwave. None of which were important to my builds.

maelwy5 10-09-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stofsk (Post 5973401)
Your link to the wiki says it helps Gravity Well. What do you base your assertion on?

Player Testing --> Link

(Graviton increases GW's pull, but Particle increases its damage)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 PM.