Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Mini Projects! A small solution to the small fleet problem. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=401531)

centersolace 09-28-2012 12:50 PM

Mini Projects! A small solution to the small fleet problem.

We should have an option for "Mini" Starbase Projects. How these would work, is that they are projects that give the same amount of XP, but have half the requirements, and take three as long to complete. In other words the provision projects would take 60 hrs instead of 20, but have half the cost.

It would be nice for small and inactive fleets (a lot of people only log in once a week), while at the same time very impractical for large or active fleets.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it would help level the playing field a bit.

voporak 09-28-2012 12:56 PM

I second this as part of a four person fleet (which I am happy with, don't start trying to recruit me).

It takes far longer than 60 hours for us to finish a project.

crusty8mac 09-28-2012 01:09 PM

I don't think this is really necessary.

What would be a huge help though, would be the ability to cancel projects before funding is complete.

entnx01 09-28-2012 01:31 PM

Why 3x as long rather than 2x? Or why half rather than one-third?

onenonlydrock 09-28-2012 01:32 PM

Oh god yes would I like it very much! It's kinda hard to gather up 120 officers per assignment.

bluegeek 09-28-2012 01:33 PM

I think there's some merit to the suggestion of new projects with more flexible requirements.

It's hard for us to come up with 30 duty officers sometimes, let alone 30 of one type. Those assignments are really difficult for us to get done.

Fleet marks have gotten much easier since they introduced Bonus fleet marks and made them more available. But Dilithium seems to be getting harder to come by as time goes on.

I think 60 hours is too long, but 40 hours to complete seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me, maybe for a third less requirements to fill?

I also wouldn't mind seeing mini-projects that only give out 250 XP instead of 500 or 1000.

pyryck 09-28-2012 02:50 PM

As a single "business" owner I'm taking so much longer to get projects started that I could get behind having projects take longer to complete provided they have slightly less requirements needed to start. :)

centersolace 09-28-2012 02:54 PM

I was originally considering 40 hours but I can see crafty larger fleets using this to their advantage. 60 would only benefit the small fleets that really need help.

Of course, the Devs could tweak the numbers anyway they thought would be fair anyway. I just thought this would be a nice way to throw the smaller or highly inactive fleets a proverbial bone so to speak. :)

azurianstar 09-28-2012 03:25 PM

Personally, I always felt that the system should've scaled according to Fleet Size.

Right now we hear Large Fleets are trucking along and people are lucky to even contribute. Or small fleets that are now bankrupt from doing these projects and would literally take years to see Tier 5. (Which means small fleets would fracture because people don't want to wait that long).

Another option is Cryptic making various types of starbases based on their fleet size and smaller bases have smaller project costs, but eventually being able to get to Tier 5 in the same speed as Larger Fleets.

chikahiro 09-28-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azurianstar (Post 5883061)
Personally, I always felt that the system should've scaled according to Fleet Size.

I think the problem would be accounting for active members/contributors versus inactive members/non-contributors.

Anyhow, I think this is a great idea. I pick some of my DOFFs based on how long until I know I can log on again for similar reasons. If I'll be playing a while, or will log on again "soon," I'll go with shorter ones because I know I'll be able to cycle through and get new ones. If I know I won't be on for a day or three, I'll go for long ones.