Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   My first foray into the foundry , help ? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=407571)

hippiejon 10-05-2012 06:21 PM

My first foray into the foundry , help ?

Hey everyone.

I have toyed around with the Foundry a little, admission that I have made a couple of those clickies strategically placed for my daily dilithium runs, which have since been deleted as I have been wanting to develop some actual content rich stories for people to enjoy. (I hope)

So, my first foray into foundry storytelling I am jumping into the deep end i guess by entering the latest foundry challenge. While I find I am able to do most of what I am trying to do, I am finding some things terribly clunky, and just in general probably need some advice from veteren foundry authors.

If you're willing to tutor a newbie who thinks he has a pretty strong storytelling background, please send me a private message, so we can discuss.

Thanks in advance guys

Seriously , SPECTRES, Episode Six : Whatever Happened to the U.S.S. Reuben James? is gonna rock. (I hope :)

psycoticvulcan 10-05-2012 10:04 PM

Welcome to the Foundry! Starbase UGC is a great place to get started. Many well-known authors hang out there, and there's a ton of tutorials as well.

markhawkman 10-06-2012 07:20 PM

Um, sure ask away, I'm @marhawkman. In terms of being a vet I'd only give myself a 6 or 7 though.

nagorak 10-06-2012 07:26 PM

You might want to also try watching Kirkfat's tutorials. That can help get you up to speed.

Clunky is a pretty good description of a lot of things in the Foundry. It can be pretty powerful if you master the nuances (and learn how to sidestep the shortcomings and/or bugs), but doing that isn't always easy.

hippiejon 10-07-2012 11:56 AM

Well, I've already watched a bunch of the video tutorial stuff (not sure if it was Kirkfats) and I think I have the basics mastered, and even a couple "tricks" , like placing a bloodwine cup inside of an object to interact with.

Honestly, the one problem I am having is around moving from map to map. At this point I am pretty much ready to just skip the visit through Drozana Station on Cryptic's map.
What I really want is for the player to "beam" out from behind the crates in the hall, and appear on one of my maps. Thus far I cannot seem to make this happen.

Thanks for the replies guys.
@marhawkman, I may well be sending you an email. Do you prefer here on the forums or in game ?

zorbane 10-07-2012 12:04 PM

Are the crates something you can interact with? Just have it be the last objective in the map

hippiejon 10-07-2012 12:08 PM

yeah there are two interactable crates. I have set interacting with one as the last objective, and even with my map qued and set up next , when trying to run the mission in the editors test bed, I click the interact , and the mission just stops.
No transport to next map.

markhawkman 10-07-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiejon (Post 5982961)
Well, I've already watched a bunch of the video tutorial stuff (not sure if it was Kirkfats) and I think I have the basics mastered, and even a couple "tricks" , like placing a bloodwine cup inside of an object to interact with.

Honestly, the one problem I am having is around moving from map to map. At this point I am pretty much ready to just skip the visit through Drozana Station on Cryptic's map.
What I really want is for the player to "beam" out from behind the crates in the hall, and appear on one of my maps. Thus far I cannot seem to make this happen.

Thanks for the replies guys.
@marhawkman, I may well be sending you an email. Do you prefer here on the forums or in game ?

Either's fine.

If you mean crates in the Drozana Social zone, no. you have certain "doors" you can use to transition from Cryptic maps to Foundry.

hippiejon 10-07-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhawkman (Post 5983061)
Either's fine.

If you mean crates in the Drozana Social zone, no. you have certain "doors" you can use to transition from Cryptic maps to Foundry.

That's kind of what I figured sadly.
It will just require some ... minor rewrites.

So, from your own maps then , no doors ? Just transport from whole map ? or do you place doors ?

markhawkman 10-07-2012 01:18 PM

You can do either. I usually use whole map for convenience, but you can make the exit a specific location.