Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Need Help with 1st PVP Build (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=408451)

sonulinu2 10-07-2012 05:14 AM

Need Help with 1st PVP Build
 
I posted my first cut of this in the Fed Shipyards, and after some helpful replies was instructed to post here to get the final blessing from you PvP gurus before making my move to the dark side. Would, therefore, greatly appreciate your feedback on any and all aspects of my build. PvE has been 99.9% of my sto online life so I'm really a PvP newb. I have 4 Fed VAs; tac/escort, 2 eng/cruisers, and sci/mvae; but tanking STFs in a cruiser has been the most fun for me. I'm hoping to bring that cruiser experience over here, however, I recognize these are different animals and I will need to change my ways...by becoming a healer/support cruiser captain.

So here is my build for a Sci Odyssey Engineer:

BOFF set up
Cmdr Eng: EPtW1, EPtS2, AuxSIF2, ES3
Univ Lt Cmdr: EPtW1, EPtS2, ET3
Lt Tac: TT1, TgtShields2
Lr Sci: HE1, ST2
Univ Ens: TSS1

DOFF set up
2 Purple TT Conn Officers
3 Purple BFI Shield Distb Officer

Weapons Layout
3x Phased Tetryon BA Mk XI [Acc]x2 (fore and aft)
Tricobalt Torpedo Mk XII [Acc]x3 (fore)
Tricobalt Mine Mk XI [CrtH]x3 (aft)

Engines, etc.
3x Borg, MACO XII Shield

Consoles
Eng: 2x Neutronium Mk XI, Monotanium Mk XI, Borg
Sci: 4x Field Gen Mk XI
Tac: 2x Tetryon Mk XI

Devices
Red Matter, Subspace FM, Deuterium, Eng battery

STO Academy Skill Planner
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...onulinuoddy3_0

Power Levels
I assume Aux emphasis but what should the specific % breakdowns be?

Thanks for the assistance!

caffran607 10-07-2012 06:20 AM

For a support vessel, I would put 2x Emitter Arrays in your Sci slots to help shield healing and 1 or 2 SIF generators in Engineering for hull. Also try Maco Shield and Deflector with 2x borg set, for extra healing goodness.

Rest looks spiffin.

sonulinu2 10-07-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caffran607 (Post 5980121)
For a support vessel, I would put 2x Emitter Arrays in your Sci slots to help shield healing and 1 or 2 SIF generators in Engineering for hull. Also try Maco Shield and Deflector with 2x borg set, for extra healing goodness.

Rest looks spiffin.

Thanks! I'll put in the Emitter Arrays and a SIF Gen; good to know.

Do you have any suggestions on Power Levels, what % settings for Aux, Eng, Shield & Weapons?

Also, I expect to be going back and forth between PvP and PvE alot which will require me to change some of my BOFFs. I notice whenever I do this, however, my skill trays get all messed up and I have to rearrange them, which might screw up my keybinds (if I ever get around to doing them). It also makes ppl wait while I fix things back. Is there a way to get around this, maybe save tray/skill positions for diff boffs? I would hate to get a second ship just for PvP, but even then there will be a need to share some Boffs so things will get messed up anyway... Arggh! Any solutions here?

guriphu 10-07-2012 08:09 AM

I think you're better off with the Borg 3set you have. There is nothing to be done for toggling between ability sets except manually reset all your power bars. Switching ships will not help.

Sci Team should be downgraded to 1. You will be using this skill to clear Subnucleonic Beam and Scramble Sensors, not as a heal.

Beam Target Shields 2 looks like a waste to me. You could slot a second TT in there and get rid of your TT DOffs, or pick up an Attack Pattern Delta and use it to boost the resistances of whoever you're healing and debuff their team, or a Dispersal Pattern Beta 1 and run a second trico mine, so that you can pump out a dispersal pattern of tricos every 30 seconds (your sixth beam isn't doing any damage in your broadside, anyway, only procs). Or make your ensign universal a Tac, and run two TT1s AND a delta or dispersal pattern beta, and get two DOff slots free anyway.

Having four emergency power skills is a waste of two emergency power skills, because you can only cycle two. Ditch the EPTW, and either downgrade both of your EPTS to 1, or get EPTS1 on one of them, and EPTS3 on the other one, downgrading your Engineering Team to ET1.

Speaking of Engineering Team, you will be using this to clear Viral Matrix, not as a heal. If you're still running just one tac team, keep it as ET1. If you're running two tac teams, you might not want an ET at all. Still, there's not much else that's worth taking in an Ens. Engi slot, so you might as well take it anyway, if you aren't running two EPTS1s there.

You can have Aux2SIF 3 in your Lt. Commander slot. Look on the exchange for a BOff candidate who has it.

Get at least one Reverse Shield Polarity 1 in your newly opened LT slots. Two of them isn't a bad idea either, but less than one is suicide for a tank and inefficiency for a healer: you can't heal your team if you're healing yourself, and you can't heal your team if you're dead.

hyprodimus 10-07-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guriphu (Post 5980711)
I think you're better off with the Borg 3set you have. There is nothing to be done for toggling between ability sets except manually reset all your power bars. Switching ships will not help.

Sci Team should be downgraded to 1. You will be using this skill to clear Subnucleonic Beam and Scramble Sensors, not as a heal.

Beam Target Shields 2 looks like a waste to me. You could slot a second TT in there and get rid of your TT DOffs, or pick up an Attack Pattern Delta and use it to boost the resistances of whoever you're healing and debuff their team, or a Dispersal Pattern Beta 1 and run a second trico mine, so that you can pump out a dispersal pattern of tricos every 30 seconds (your sixth beam isn't doing any damage in your broadside, anyway, only procs). Or make your ensign universal a Tac, and run two TT1s AND a delta or dispersal pattern beta, and get two DOff slots free anyway.

Having four emergency power skills is a waste of two emergency power skills, because you can only cycle two. Ditch the EPTW, and either downgrade both of your EPTS to 1, or get EPTS1 on one of them, and EPTS3 on the other one, downgrading your Engineering Team to ET1.

Speaking of Engineering Team, you will be using this to clear Viral Matrix, not as a heal. If you're still running just one tac team, keep it as ET1. If you're running two tac teams, you might not want an ET at all. Still, there's not much else that's worth taking in an Ens. Engi slot, so you might as well take it anyway, if you aren't running two EPTS1s there.

You can have Aux2SIF 3 in your Lt. Commander slot. Look on the exchange for a BOff candidate who has it.

Get at least one Reverse Shield Polarity 1 in your newly opened LT slots. Two of them isn't a bad idea either, but less than one is suicide for a tank and inefficiency for a healer: you can't heal your team if you're healing yourself, and you can't heal your team if you're dead.

Sci team II works great as a heal, but you gotta have the Development Lab scientists for it. Id say swap out the Conn officer doffs for them.

You can have 2x(2) emergency powers cycling. For the first 15 seconds you will only have one emergency power going, but after that both are on.
As you are newer to PvP, if you do find that you are dying still, take out the EPtW and move abilities around to fit the RSP. Just dont rely on it like a crutch. Sometimes its just a beacon saying, "Nuke me!"

cmdrparthos 10-07-2012 09:43 AM

Hi there!

I recommend going thru this set of posts for a really good discussion on a pvp setup for just about any cruiser youd like to run

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=561845

I personally would have your ET3 on global cooldown, possibly run 3 damage control engineers so you can run one copy of eps2 and epw1, giving you more boff power options. (You can still have 95% uptime of both your Emergency power skills running 2 purple DCE and a blue).

support power 25/75/25/75 as a start. keep shields full and aux high :)

ghostyandfrosty 10-07-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonulinu2 (Post 5979791)
I posted my first cut of this in the Fed Shipyards, and after some helpful replies was instructed to post here to get the final blessing from you PvP gurus before making my move to the dark side. Would, therefore, greatly appreciate your feedback on any and all aspects of my build. PvE has been 99.9% of my sto online life so I'm really a PvP newb. I have 4 Fed VAs; tac/escort, 2 eng/cruisers, and sci/mvae; but tanking STFs in a cruiser has been the most fun for me. I'm hoping to bring that cruiser experience over here, however, I recognize these are different animals and I will need to change my ways...by becoming a healer/support cruiser captain.

So here is my build for a Sci Odyssey Engineer:

BOFF set up
Cmdr Eng: EPtW1, EPtS2, AuxSIF2, ES3
Univ Lt Cmdr: EPtA1, EPtS2, ET3
Lt Tac: TT1, Attack Pattern Delta1
Lr Sci: HE1, Transfer Shield Strength2
Univ Ens: Hazard Emitter 1

DOFF set up
2 Maintainence Engineers. Purp and Blue (will still get you to ET3 shared)
2 Purple BFI Shield Distb Officer
1 Warp Core Engineer. (either one really)

Weapons Layout
7x Phased Tetryon BA Mk XI [Acc]x2 (fore and aft)

Tricobalt Mine Mk XI [CrtH]x3 (aft)

Engines, etc.
3x Borg, MACO XII Shield

Consoles
Eng: 2x Neutronium Mk XI, 2SIF Generator,
Sci: 2x SIF Generators, 2x Emitter Arrays
Tac: 1x Tetryon, 1x Borg.

Devices
Red Matter, Subspace FM, Deuterium, Eng battery

STO Academy Skill Planner
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...onulinuoddy3_0

Power Levels
I assume Aux emphasis but what should the specific % breakdowns be?
75 Weapons, 50 Shields, 25 Aux, 50 Aux. Solid damage, great shield tanking great healing. And with the bonus power level warpcore doff you get a +25 across the board with the purple doff. Or with the extend warpcore you have +20 SDR anyway.


Thanks for the assistance!

First, Come to my Cruiser thread. It will help you. Though you picked mostly solid choices :)

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ild=MavMod22_0

That should be your spec.
And changes to you ship are quoted.

Reason I ditched Sci Team? you have 2 team abilities already. one of which should be in it's shared CD quite often anyway. Target Subs2 is kinda bupkiss, so the extra HDR from APD1 is more reliable. And it provides a debuff to whoever shoots the guy you boost with it.

SIF Generators, up your hull healing Tremendously. (and also boost the dmg resist bonuses of HE, and ASIF).

hyprodimus 10-07-2012 09:59 AM

Sonu was posting in the Fed Fleetyards. I told him to come here for specific pvp help. I linked him the cruiser thread and a basic heal build.

I suggested the three teams, as well as a variety of healing skills so he can get used to what clears what, how abilities stacks, and the limitations of abilities. Im sure as he gets more experience hes going to be able to swap abilities to ones that will compliment his play style and team.

ghostyandfrosty 10-07-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyprodimus (Post 5981741)
Sonu was posting in the Fed Fleetyards. I told him to come here for specific pvp help. I linked him the cruiser thread and a basic heal build.

I suggested the three teams, as well as a variety of healing skills so he can get used to what clears what, how abilities stacks, and the limitations of abilities. Im sure as he gets more experience hes going to be able to swap abilities to ones that will compliment his play style and team.

Well with 2, you're going to find yourself over stretched out of the gate. There's going to one you almost Never Use by default.

hyprodimus 10-07-2012 10:15 AM

Everyone has their own play style. I think I use two quite effectively. Tac team mostly for myself, plus a global ST II, for heals and for clears.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.