Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Entering and Exiting Ship Bridge/Interior (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=410291)

avarseir 10-09-2012 05:42 PM

Entering and Exiting Ship Bridge/Interior
 
Not sure if anyone has brought this up.. but i find it a little disturbing to be transporting into my bridge/interior.. i mean aren't i supposed to be in the ship in the first place and most likely be on my bridge, why then would i appear to be "transported" into my bridge.

Just kinda irks me..:eek:

sumghai 10-09-2012 06:08 PM

This irks me as well.

What I'd like to see is:

- When entering from a space map, show the player Captain sitting his/her chair on the bridge

- When entering from another ground map, beam into the Transporter Room.

- When exiting to a space map, play a cutscene of the player Captain walking to his/her chair on the bridge

- When exiting to another ground map, play a cutscene of the player Captain beaming out of the Transporter Room.

Since this is a valid point you've bought up, I'm going to add this to my ongoing ship interior proposal.

dareau 10-09-2012 09:09 PM

From what I understand, the beam-in and beam-out steps/effects are part and parcel of the transition from space to ground.

Just as if you "rush" onto a new level (before the computer gets a chance to populate due to a lag spike), you can watch your crew "beam in". Spawning = transporter effect...

And, if I remember the last time this was mentioned, the statement was made that there is no feasible way to bypass this effect, without blowing up something, somewhere else.

Also, if I am remembering correctly, entering one own's bridge is the only transition from space map to ground map where beaming in/out is not desired. Even joining a fellow player's bridge "deserves" the transporter effect, so the first though "hey, let's bypass the beaming effect from all bridge maps" is going to draw commentary...

Now, I saw the "cutscene" bit. IIRC, the only other transition from space to ground where beaming is inappropriate is the early Vulcan Pilgrimage mission (taking the Undine Vulcan to P'Jem), because of the whole "shuttlecraft" bit. And that gets a bypass via cutscene. I wonder how bad a 1-second cutscene would be for self-bridge transitions (called from dropdown, those called by bridge-invite should still get beaming effect...)

jevikfett 10-11-2012 08:41 PM

The iconian gateway iirc bypassed transporter effect from space to ground.

k3ll3ndrak391 10-16-2012 12:42 AM

i would love to see a Bridge commander, or Bridge Simulator for those who don't want to play as a ship at all, but actually command the ship from the bridge

anazonda 10-16-2012 08:03 AM

Old discussion... Never going to change...

yreodred 10-20-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avarseir (Post 6014611)
Not sure if anyone has brought this up.. but i find it a little disturbing to be transporting into my bridge/interior.. i mean aren't i supposed to be in the ship in the first place and most likely be on my bridge, why then would i appear to be "transported" into my bridge.

Just kinda irks me..:eek:

I fully agree, beaming on and off your bridge (while you are technically never left it) is completely anti-immersive.


I hope my english is understandable, since most of the time i find it difficult to find the right words in my native language.

stargazer918 10-25-2012 09:05 AM

Entering and exiting ship interior
 
I agree!

I find it a bit strange that commanding your own ship rom the bridge then beaming onto it! In that case you must have two ships then or it`s the many worlds interperation happening in STO!!!

(Please can you check Wikipedia to make sure I got that right please!).


James Andrew Highland
WASIC
1st Fighter Command
Commander

topset 10-28-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3ll3ndrak391 (Post 6109241)
i would love to see a Bridge commander, or Bridge Simulator for those who don't want to play as a ship at all, but actually command the ship from the bridge

Has been suggested time and time again, and we've been repeatedly told by the Devs that this simply ISN'T POSSIBLE USING THE CURRENT GAME ENGINE so stop asking for it.

The way the engine works you are either in space, or on the ground. Your bridge is a ground map. You cannot be in space, and on the ground, at the same time. It's a direct limitation of the engine.

So basically... tough.

archofwinter 11-02-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topset (Post 6294791)
Has been suggested time and time again, and we've been repeatedly told by the Devs that this simply ISN'T POSSIBLE USING THE CURRENT GAME ENGINE so stop asking for it.

The way the engine works you are either in space, or on the ground. Your bridge is a ground map. You cannot be in space, and on the ground, at the same time. It's a direct limitation of the engine.

So basically... tough.

In theory, you can have your computer running the space and ground 'engine' at the same time by running two engines.
However, in practicality, the dev will have to make a system where data from the two can intertwine with each other and the player's computer must be able to handle running basically two game client at the same time.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 PM.