Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Literary Challenge #30 Discussion Thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=416681)

pwebranflakes 10-16-2012 04:26 PM

Literary Challenge #30 Discussion Thread

Quote:

Literary Challenge #30 : The Tau Dewa Sector Block

This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #30 : The Tau Dewa Sector Block.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:

soriedem 10-16-2012 04:41 PM

i have an issue with this premise. sorry, but i'm going to be knit picky for a minute. although this sector block is new to sto, it isn't new to canon. It's a disputed, well populated, and well known region of space situated between the federation, klingon, and romulan borders. powder keg comes to mind, not so much unexplored space. so, the idea of a reconnaissance probe seems a bit out of place. I'm just saying.

grylak 10-16-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soriedem (Post 6120191)
i have an issue with this premise. sorry, but i'm going to be knit picky for a minute. although this sector block is new to sto, it isn't new to canon. It's a disputed, well populated, and well known region of space situated between the federation, klingon, and romulan borders. powder keg comes to mind, not so much unexplored space. so, the idea of a reconnaissance probe seems a bit out of place. I'm just saying.

It doesn't say reconnaissance probe, just a

Quote:

A probe in the vicinity of one of the systems (of your choosing) there has reported activity that is out of the norm and you must investigate.

It could be any kind of probe, a sensor probe, a message relay probe. And the system must be somewhat known, to have a norm for it that activity is outside of.

pwebranflakes 10-16-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grylak (Post 6120561)
It doesn't say reconnaissance probe, just a

It could be any kind of probe, a sensor probe, a message relay probe. And the system must be somewhat known, to have a norm for it that activity is outside of.

Yep :) As always, the backstories are up for interpretation and you can use that as a base for whatever story you would like to tell (trying to keep within the theme).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

wraithshadow13 10-17-2012 04:30 AM

As always my story is building on what was written in my previous entries, and this one ties in to the last as well as an upcoming change to the game, although it explains the change game wise it doesn't explain it canon wise. As always any feedback is welcome.

soriedem 10-18-2012 09:34 AM

Archer IV

I got my story posted last night. I welcome feedback. Thanks. Archer IV

wraithshadow13 10-18-2012 12:40 PM

I hinted a little bit with the asteroids being used as bases and holding ships, but if i'd waited i could have used the tholians to tie it to the new mission lol

wraithshadow13 10-18-2012 01:24 PM

Soriedem: It's funny because i just watched that episode the other day so it's still fresh in my head. Good tie in to it as well as i liked the story. I often forget to add in character development so seeing some tossed in for Marok was a really nice touch. Heads up though, you might need to read through and replace the extra ?'s with ' because it did the same thing to my story and i had to fix it earlier.

soriedem 10-19-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 (Post 6147921)
Soriedem: It's funny because i just watched that episode the other day so it's still fresh in my head. Good tie in to it as well as i liked the story. I often forget to add in character development so seeing some tossed in for Marok was a really nice touch. Heads up though, you might need to read through and replace the extra ?'s with ' because it did the same thing to my story and i had to fix it earlier.

Thank you for your kind words. As for the ?'s, I do try to get them all, but I do know that's it's not always easy to catch them all.

I wonder if the issue with the " and ' and some of the other symbols are related to language and keyboard encoding. Perhaps if we knew what encoding the STO forums were using, we can match it when we write our entries in external word processors to eliminate the issue.

lazarx 10-19-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soriedem (Post 6120191)

Space is a big place... it's really really big. Think of your biggest concept of big, stretch it out and you still won't be able to grasp how big it is.

Even if we allowed every player to have canonical existence, the fact that the matter is that that the Galaxy is a lot of space to cover, even within the Federation's borders. And Starships are limited in number.

There are also many tasks that simply don't merit the presence of a Starship or in even a manned crew. Many of these tasks are handled by probes, the number of which exceed that by of the total Fleet by 100 times or more. They handle for the most part routine tasks, reporting to Starbases, Relay Stations, and Starships assigned on patrol within given sectors. They are much less resource intensive to operate and can be left on station for years at a time. Among such tasks.

1. Long term monitoring of a planetary system. Also useful for long term climactic observations of targeted planets being considered for colonization or terraforming. Also used in long distance observations of pre-warp cultures.

2. Scientific observation of targeted phenomena. Especially in cases that would be considered hazardous in terms of long term exposure due to things such as Berthold rays, etc. Even in the far future, there will always be a place for unmanned space science.

3. Supplement manned observation stations in monitoring various Neutral Zones or established hotbeds of hostile activity. It is also suspected that hostile powers such as the Romulans may have used cloak ships to deploy probes used in monitoring Federation activities. With the account of the lone survivor of the civilian transport Mercury Rising, it is now suspected that mysterious losses of at least some civilian freighters can be due to unfortunate encounters with Romulan ships engaged in deploying such probes in Federation space.

4. Supplemental communication support in remote fringe areas.

In short, there are a lot of reasons for probe deployment, especially in low priority areas which don't merit Starship assignment.