Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   It's all about the Money. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=419751)

flash525 10-19-2012 01:03 PM

It's all about the Money.
 
Just curious (whether anyone actually has the answer I don't know, but I'm asking anyway).

Does anyone know (or can anyone make a fair guess) at just how much Cryptic Studios is worth? Lets say that someone won some money (be that a lottery win, casino win ect) and decided to remove Cryptic from Perfect World and revert back to a stand-alone company.

Thoughts on how much the process would cost? Essentially to purchase Cryptic Studios so you could do what you want with it.

?

anazonda 10-19-2012 01:05 PM

PWE cashed out 50,000,000 for them... You can bet PWE wants at least 50% more than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXMhwF4EtQ

sirsitsalot 10-19-2012 01:09 PM

You can only remove Cryptic from Perfect World IF Perfect World is willing to sell Cryptic. Perfect World bought Cryptic for $50,000,000.00. So don't expect them to part with Cryptic for anything less than $50,000,000.01. Frankly, I would expect it to be significantly more than that. Like more towards $100,000,000.00. I doubt they would let it go for anything less than half again what they paid for it.

collegepark2151 10-19-2012 01:15 PM

No offense, but if I was going to spend that much on a game company, I'd just start one from scratch.

anazonda 10-19-2012 01:19 PM

Yea, but he did'n ask "How much money would it take to make a new game studio", did he?

stf65 10-19-2012 01:23 PM

PWE paid $50 million and has spent millions more funding the development of NWNs. Even if PWE were willing to sell, which everyone knows they won't do until well after NWN launches, their stockholders would not want them to sell for less then what has been put into the company.

CBS would need to approve the sale and would be within their rights to void the STO license contract if PWE sold Cryptic. I would not be surprised to see the same agreement with Hasbro for the NWN license. That means any sale could leave Cryptic's new buyer with only Champions Online. That is certainly not worth even $5 million.

stf65 10-19-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collegepark2151 (Post 6169661)
No offense, but if I was going to spend that much on a game company, I'd just start one from scratch.

Considering how much it costs to produce MMOs at this time $50 million is quite cheap for 3 established games. Bioware has put somewhere between $100 and $200 million into SWTOR, alone. I seriously doubt any new studio could produce a comparable game to STO for less then what Cryptic is worth.

rdm1958 10-19-2012 01:32 PM

yes it is all about the money. that is why i go to work. ;)

collegepark2151 10-19-2012 01:45 PM

ok, ok. I'm an engineer, not a game designer. ;)

flash525 10-21-2012 06:22 AM

[quote=anazonda;6169491]PWE cashed out 50,000,000 for them... You can bet PWE wants at least 50% more than that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirsitsalot (Post 6169551)
You can only remove Cryptic from Perfect World IF Perfect World is willing to sell Cryptic.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirsitsalot (Post 6169551)
Frankly, I would expect it to be significantly more than that. Like more towards $100,000,000.00. I doubt they would let it go for anything less than half again what they paid for it.


You're both probably right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirsitsalot (Post 6169551)
You can only remove Cryptic from Perfect World IF Perfect World is willing to sell Cryptic.

Blackmail? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by collegepark2151 (Post 6169661)
No offense, but if I was going to spend that much on a game company, I'd just start one from scratch.

But if you wanted to create a game called Star Trek: Online, you could hardly go out and do that with an already existing one in the works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stf65 (Post 6169881)
CBS would need to approve the sale and would be within their rights to void the STO license contract if PWE sold Cryptic. I would not be surprised to see the same agreement with Hasbro for the NWN license. That means any sale could leave Cryptic's new buyer with only Champions Online. That is certainly not worth even $5 million.

Maybe I should have asked, specifically how much it would cost to 'buy' Star Trek: Online.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 PM.