Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Season 7 Dev Blog #9 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=425481)

pwebranflakes 10-25-2012 12:00 PM

Season 7 Dev Blog #9

The Federation News Service report contained in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series reveals information about the Romulans search for a new homeworld.

Link to the blog.

walshicus 10-25-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwebranflakes (Post 6263791)
The Federation News Service report contained in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series reveals information about the Romulans search for a new homeworld.

Link to the blog.

Wish you guys had the "Federation News Network" in-game. I mean you don't have to write new fiction every week, you could just put some words around random PvP match results or random character promotions. e.g.

1) "A Starfleet task-force comprised of the USS x, USS y, USS z, USS a and USS b successfully defended Federation assets in the Neutral Zone on Starbase 12345.67. Captain [Highest scoring player on winning team] won particular praise for his/her bravery"

2) "Chancellor J'mpok today approved the promotion of [random set of players] to the rank of Brigadier General. The warriors demonstrated exceptional honour and skill at arms."

starfish1701 10-25-2012 12:16 PM

Excellent opening to the new season. Sets the scene very nicely. :)

I also like the idea of there being a chance for peace here. Much better than all the doom and gloom talk of wars and invasions. This comes as a refreshing change to STO.

Thank you. :D

typhoncal 10-25-2012 12:21 PM

In reading this small bit, is it to imply that we the community will physically building this new planet "homeworld" in the same manner that we are building the stations?

reichwald12 10-25-2012 12:21 PM

Pretty neat background. Looking forward to it..

Just please don't blow up plans for a third faction. If you must, make the Roms a mini faction. But at least come up with an actual third. If you do so, you open up a major appetite for gamers who want open world [space...] pvp.

Plus, if you do make that a possibility, you only need to create the zones (in game politics handles the rest).

johnny111971 10-25-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walshicus (Post 6263971)
Wish you guys had the "Federation News Network" in-game. I mean you don't have to write new fiction every week, you could just put some words around random PvP match results or random character promotions. e.g.

1) "A Starfleet task-force comprised of the USS x, USS y, USS z, USS a and USS b successfully defended Federation assets in the Neutral Zone on Starbase 12345.67. Captain [Highest scoring player on winning team] won particular praise for his/her bravery"

2) "Chancellor J'mpok today approved the promotion of [random set of players] to the rank of Brigadier General. The warriors demonstrated exceptional honour and skill at arms."

I really like this idea... I think it could also give a nod to directing news specific about the players fleet as well,,, I've looked at the Fleet News stuff... once... made no impact an moved on...

ebonytevilo 10-25-2012 12:29 PM

Poor D?Tan, J'mpok will kill him on the steps of the Great Hall.

dontdrunkimshoot 10-25-2012 12:29 PM

the more this story line progresses, the less likely we will every see a romulan faction, but instead this tag along to the current fed and kdf faction :( i really have grown to hate JJ abrams for destroying the romulans, this game would be much more interesting with them as strong as they ever were.

drkfrontiers 10-25-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny111971 (Post 6264131)
I really like this idea... I think it could also give a nod to directing news specific about the players fleet as well,,, I've looked at the Fleet News stuff... once... made no impact an moved on...

Let me understand this.

You think that news functionality that will take an enormous developer resources is really something to desire given the current lack of content?

You would rather read arbitrary, repetitive, and 100% pointless lists of people & SB-related information that makes absolutely no impact to gameplay whatsoever?

drkfrontiers 10-25-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonytevilo (Post 6264161)
Poor D?Tan, J'mpok will kill him on the steps of the Great Hall.

Personally I hope so. This is not the Romulans I know or desire. Everything about the Romulans surrounds their marshal history.

"By the 24th century, the government of Romulus is dependent upon the Tal Shiar, the Romulan Secret Police, to maintain order and stability among both civilians and the military. The Tal Shiar is known for its brutal tactics, which include routine kidnapping, torture, and assassination. Many Romulans fear even expressing dissenting opinions as not to spark the interest of the Tal Shiar. There also seems to be some degree of tension between the military and the Tal Shiar.

Romulan society is based upon a highly structured caste system. Unlike most of the highly evolved species in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, Romulans still practice slavery, and frequently use conquered races for forced slave labor and shock troops.

Romulans tend to be highly xenophobic, engaging in extended periods of isolationism, and can be perceived as outright racist to other species, believing themselves to be superior. At least some Romulans believe that one day the Romulan Empire will rule the entire galaxy.

Romulan society does not appear to be gender biased. Both males and females command warships, can obtain high political positions and can be members of the Tal Shiar."

I'm sorry, but somewhere down the line Cryptic have super-imposed the Cardassian Depata Council post-Dominion storyline over that of the Romulan.

They could have come up with something a little more original that "Please feed me."

If anything, one of the following would have fitted into the storyline:

A Romulan-Cardassian alliance would be more plausible, given that they aided one another during the Battle of the Omarion Nebula, and given that the Cardassian True Way are themselves trying to return Cardassia to militaristic rule.

The Klingon Empire cannot abide weakness. They would have launched at full scale attack against the Romulans when they were at their weakness not sent diplomats!

The Romulans efforts to subjugate the Reman's would have intensified. This makes the Remans appear on equal footing to the Romulans. They are not, and their own planet was also destroyed making them even weaker.

The Federation I could see living-up to the humanitarian effort.

This was a HUGE PvP opportunity, that Cryptic has failed to capture on. HUGE.