Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Art of Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   Enterprise-A has wrong image on Starbase (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=425711)

kyrandman 10-25-2012 05:10 PM

Enterprise-A has wrong image on Starbase

Yesterday, everyone's best friend in STO, Butts, made a post in the Game Bugs forum about a blatant error of one of the images on the Enterprise Mural on the Fleet Starbase. Due to the lack of responses/views, and the severity of the error. I felt it was appropriate to re-post the issue in a higher traffic forum to inform the public of the issue at hand, and hope that it gets corrected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeballs (Post 6253021)
The image of the U.S.S. Enterprise-A in the Federation Starbase is incorrect. The nacelles and deflector should have their colors switched. This is incorrect and breaks the game's immersion.

A screenshot of the infringing image: http://i.imgur.com/cu4aM.jpg

An image of the accurate U.S.S. Enterprise-A: http://i.imgur.com/mKYzn.jpg

I hope that in the update of Season 7, a lot of these graphical errors will be fixed. I also have a complaint on the quality of the Enterprise-C. It is an obvious copy of the Memory Alpha image. Why not just use the actual image if CBS gives you the rights?

To me, the deflector looks more like the Enterprise-D's deflector, and it never looked like that through Star Trek 6 when the Enterprise-A was decommissioned. I'm kind of surprised that no one else noticed this oversight until now.

Also, the underside of the saucer never looked like that in the movies either.

I do apologize for re-posting this topic, but we just want this issue brought to the attention of the developers & public and hope that the oversight gets corrected shortly.

sovereign256 10-25-2012 10:40 PM

You do realize that if you're going to split hairs like this, the Enterprise-B is also incorrect, as well as the D, in terms of the paint job? Furthermore, it's a copy/paste from an in-game screenshot and none of the available skins would fully reproduce the A's proper deflector? Oversight on part of the devs? Maybe, but if anything should be brought to the attention to the devs about the Enterprise images, it should be to the horrid blocky text. Might as well fix a big problem before fixing the tiny ones.

futurepastnow 10-26-2012 07:26 PM

It's an image of the Tier II cruiser in the game. Obviously, the ship is wrong, but it was probably much easier to use than finding a photo of the studio model.

psycoticvulcan 10-26-2012 09:10 PM

I'd hardly call it a "severe" error - 99% of players won't notice and/or care. And what's wrong with using the MA image for the C?

nikkyvix 10-26-2012 10:33 PM

Some of us noticed. We're anal about those details.

Still some others grumbled for a moment and moved on largely because we don't see it changing any time soon, and because it's a small detail. Missions that involve the franchise ships don't resemble them either because, as mentioned, the models and textures in-game don't exactly replicate their originals. They are enough to be recognizeable, and that will do.

P.S.: The Enterprise-C in the mural is all shot to hell, if you noticed. Primarily because The 'Yesterday's Enterprise' battle damage Enterprise seems to be the only image they could grab of that ship class, I think. :p

extremis0 11-06-2012 06:47 PM

butts is not my friend. i sit on him and he must smell my daily produce he practically hates my guts.:D

but all things aside every ship in this game is wrong!!!! and its gonna stay that way for a long time to come :(

connectamabob 11-07-2012 01:25 AM

Created using the Foundry costume editor:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/8...4b82a38213.jpg
R-1 by connectamabob, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7110/8...c05914a5ec.jpg
EB by connectamabob, on Flickr

Not entirely studio model accurate, but the closest approximations I could get. Side note: these are supposed to be the original Refit and Ent-B schemes, for the E-A and pre-refit Excel the green should be replaced with with blue (and for the pre-refit Excel some of the scheme patterns selections should be a bit different as well). This is also possible in game, but the Foundry editor lets you pick colors and plating options for each individual ship component separately, while the in-game costume editor only lets you pick mesh and scheme.

The screenshots used in the starbase display is just the default refit Connie and refit Excel panel/scheme layout, which like with all the in-game ships, is mostly just a blank grey/white hull, and needs tarting up in the costume editor in order to resemble the actual studio model/CG ship schemes. I'm always a little bit surprised at the number of people who don't do that and just leave their ships totally bare white/grey, especially with C-store ships like the Excel. But then I'm an old modeler, so I'm probably a lot more aware of the movie/show paint schemes than most casual viewers/players.

All that said, the starbase display pics are a very minor cosmetic detail, and looking through the threads, it appears cosmetic details need to be pretty dang big in order to get fixed. Just not nearly enough devs to go around, it seems, so anything non-gamplay breaking has to get triaged fairly harshly.

psiameese 11-08-2012 12:12 AM

Well done, connectamabob! I wouldn't mind those finer, Foundry customization options at the Shipyard.

connectamabob 11-08-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks. And yeah, having the extra options in game would be really, really, really welcome. It actually helped a lot with these, as some of the scheme selection combos only look right when the colors are flip-flopped between different sections, or when one of the colors needs to be greyed out on one section but filled in with blue/green/darker grey on another.

It may not be visible in the pics, but the hull plating on the 1701-refit I did is actually mix-n-matched: the engineering hull is I think option 2 (the dingy warm white one with the more industrial looking panels), while the rest is option 1 I think (the pearly one with the next-gen style deflector). The option with the offending next-gen deflector is actually the closest to the overall specularity, underlying color, and paneling of the actual movie ship, but it has the least accurate defector. The option I used on the engineering hull is actually better overall for that component (the filming model actually does have slightly more industrial looking panels and warmer base color on the engineering hull), but for the rest of the ship it looks to chunky and the specularity's too flat.

Trying to the the same in-game would require harsh compromises to an already harshly compromised likeness.

None of the available textures replicate the distinctive "aztec panel" patterns most fed ships have had between TMP and FC, and they all appear to represent either pearl white or bare metal surfaces. Pre-FC next gen era ships are all light blue or blue-green in base color, not pearl white like movie era or flat white like post-FC next gen. Only Ent-era starfleet ships are bare metal. This makes it difficult to approximate the Galaxy, Intrepid, Olympic, Defiant, etc.

It looks like there's only one single generic texture map in the entire game for each of the four Fed plating options (plus another three or four for the Klinks), and the rest is all just creative UV mapping. Same with the schemes (except I think fed and klink share the same scheme textures). Great resource management, but it does limit the ships to a kind of toy-like impressionistic looseness.

But this also means that simply swapping the deflector circle from one panel texture map to another to give the refit 1701 the ideal panel and deflector combo (for an in-game edtor that can't mix-n-match panel textures) would risk, say, borking the the Galaxy's ideal deflector/paneling combo.

TL,DR: Yes, patching the in-game shipyard costume editor to have the same options as the Foundary costume editor would be bloody fantastic.

flyingcatman 11-08-2012 08:40 PM

The only thing that really bothers me, actually, is the phasers on the Enterprise.

The image is of the in-game Enterprise (no problem with that), but it has phaser strips, like that of a TNG-era ship. In TMP-era they used those bulb emitters. That has bothered me in STO, but I hide that bother with the assumption that it is merely a refit. The Enterprise-A, though, should have those older style phasers!

This isn't a big problem, and I don't care if anything gets put ahead of this, but it would be nice if this did get looked at :)

I'm not sure how it would be fixed, though, short of releasing an entire new skin for the Constitution (which would be great), but hardly worth the time to fix a sort-of issue on a limited-time featured project on the Starbase.