Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Really?? Really?!? (Rant Regarding Ratings) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=427961)

zorbane 10-28-2012 05:46 PM

Really?? Really?!? (Rant Regarding Ratings)

So I just released two new missions. Duritanium Man and The Galaxy's Fair. I haven't officially announced it yet because I want them to get a few plays to get the bugs ironed out first.

The Galaxy's Fair is a non-combat, run around and talk to people and interact with objects. I put it in the description as well, in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS because I knew some people might pick it up expecting pew pew.

My second review...

http://i.imgur.com/eIoR8.jpg

I didn't know whether to laugh (okay I did laugh) or cry (I did not), but after the initial feeling of amusement I became very discouraged. This might be more of a rant thread than anything else because I don't think there's much we, as foundry authors can do about things like this.

I'll post a different thread with cohesive thoughts on the rating system separately...

brb while I smash some consoles :mad:

kirksplat 10-28-2012 07:00 PM

I just got two-starred for not having nudity at my gentlemen's club.

markhawkman 10-28-2012 07:08 PM

Yeah I know the feeling. :( I got one starred once by someone simply because he hated ground combat.

zorbane 10-28-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhawkman (Post 6299251)
Yeah I know the feeling. :( I got one starred once by someone simply because he hated ground combat.

He should meet the guy who gave me the 1star and duke it out

nagorak 10-28-2012 11:19 PM

I got a one star review from someone on Dereliction Duty that said something about how bigotry and hatred had no place in Star Trek. I'm not even sure what the hell he was talking about? :confused:

fulleatherjacket 10-29-2012 05:24 AM

Bad reviews from idiots are inevitable. All you can do is be happy if the majority of reviews are positive, and improve your mission if the majority of reviews are negative.

scottaprice 10-29-2012 11:59 AM

I was rated 1 star in my mission because it included a temporal rift and the player told me that this mission would be "impossible because a photon torpedo detonation from the space combat near the rift would have caused it to close and therefore the rest of the adventure would not have been possible."

I mean... we gladly suspend disbelief enough to play and enjoy Star Trek Online, watch the shows/movies, read the books... but a mission is ruined all because of the fictional physics of a photon torpedo detonation.

sfhq 10-29-2012 12:26 PM

Yea, I've been 1 stared with absolutly no comment before and other not 1 star but un-helpful comment saying "very hard".. to which I just laughed imaging a skittle tac or airheading beam boat trying to do the missions, towards that end any multi-color weapon builds are gonna have a tough time with any foundry mission especially with us having so little control over spawns.. pretty much there's nothing much you can do except laugh it off, and maybe replay that mission with your friends so they can encourage you again.

markhawkman 10-29-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfhq (Post 6307981)
Yea, I've been 1 stared with absolutly no comment before and other not 1 star but un-helpful comment saying "very hard".. to which I just laughed imaging a skittle tac or airheading beam boat trying to do the missions, towards that end any multi-color weapon builds are gonna have a tough time with any foundry mission especially with us having so little control over spawns.. pretty much there's nothing much you can do except laugh it off, and maybe replay that mission with your friends so they can encourage you again.

My rainbow boat will destroy your puny NPCs. :p

But yeah, it's hard to get the difficulty of a mission just right. There's a grey area where some people will ROFLstomp the enemies and some will have a hard time not dying.

designationxr377 10-29-2012 01:57 PM

You know, it sounds really mean and ignorant saying it, but I bet every game company or software developer has said it at some time. It's that one bit of advice I feel I should give to every new author that shows up in the foundry starry eyed.

Your players are idiots.

Not all of them mind you. But, for every 20 intelligent people who play your mission there is going to be at least 1 who's mannerisms make it questionable if they know how to breath properly without assistance.

As for my favorite stupid one star: "...nope."