Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Are we allowed to use canon locations? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=428971)

diotw 10-29-2012 11:52 PM

Are we allowed to use canon locations?

I know the game restricts us from depicting characters featured in the Star Trek TV series and movies, but I'm wondering if there is any restriction on using a location from one of the movies? My idea for a Foundry mission is that your ship is sent back in time to the events of Star Trek VI, and has to stop a saboteur aboard the USS Excelsior who is trying to stop Sulu getting to Khitomer to save the day (thereby having the Federation/Klingon peace talks collapse). I don't plan on including Sulu or any of the Excelsior senior staff, as the player would beam in on a lower deck to search for and confront the saboteur.

I suspect that this should be allowed, although I know we're restricted from using the names of famous ships for our own player ships, so I'm hoping that depicting areas aboard the Excelsior wouldn't be against the rules.

zorbane 10-30-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:
You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).
Doesn't say anything about ships, looks like you're fine

diotw 10-30-2012 03:14 PM

So what I'm getting from that is that I would be able to include a ground portion on the Excelsior's lower decks, but not a space portion where you fly up to the USS Excelsior and beam aboard it, because that would be portraying a canon ship?

zorbane 10-30-2012 03:19 PM

It only says actors, as in people. So you should be able to put ships too.

diotw 10-30-2012 04:36 PM

Ah, excellent. That will be a big help. :)

rangerryu 10-30-2012 05:00 PM

you can put ships in yes, CBS owns all the names of everything Star Trek,the only reason you can't create a actual actor is all down to image rights., you could even have a conservation with Sulu if you wanted just as long as you don't create him (something like an audio only channel would do the trick)

nagorak 10-30-2012 05:18 PM

Yeah, it's all about image rights. The model of the Excelsior doesn't expect a royalty check. Outside of this game we wouldn't be allowed to use any of this stuff for ourselves, except as fan fiction.

Technically we're just not allowed to show the actor's likenesses, so if you were to have someone playing Sulu who looked totally different that would also be OK. However, it's not really worth it, because to most people the actors are the characters and it would just be weird having Sulu look differently. Better just go the audio only route, or avoid the characters entirely.

chicochavez 10-30-2012 09:30 PM

Characters in game are free to use (ie, Drake, Admiral Quinn) correct?

psycoticvulcan 10-30-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicochavez (Post 6325371)
Characters in game are free to use (ie, Drake, Admiral Quinn) correct?

Yes, I believe so.