Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Could use Science Officer advice (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=435131)

nimloh 11-04-2012 08:30 AM

Could use Science Officer advice

I'm currently a free-to-play player and I need some advice for science players, particularly in Space combat. I now realoze how complex this game is and how planning is important. Here are important considerations:

Science Captain (level 33) / Long Range Science Vessel
PvE Solo only right now
Free-to-play
Advanced difficulty setting

I understand I don't need to use a science vessel but I want to stick with it. While I love being in groups, I don't think I can commit to that right now. Basically I'm taking it slow as a ftp player wanting to play through the Cryptic made episodes. I may be willing to make some purchases (I do need to respec) but basically I'll be relying on the normal dilithium / EC that a player like me would get.

I started out on normal but really want to try advanced difficulty. I found the space combat to be too much of a drag. I've identified some ways that I haven't been playing well but I also have a gimped skill allocation (I didn't know what I was doing when I started). So I need to rebuild.

How do you build a Sci officer for solo play since Sci is made for group play? That's my dilemma.

Skills

Here is a skill planner link to what I've been thinking about. It has a way to deal with enemy packs and single target encounters. I also has shield regen and hull protection. Not a lot of the abilities share the same cooldown which is good.

Drawbacks: Jam Sensors, Scramble Sensors, and Viral Matrix are all enhanced by tier 5 Admiral skills. I'm only a Captain right now. Perhaps a should select other abilities?

Would Tyken's Rift be better for a solo officer?

Weapons

I'd like to use disruptors for the debuff but I can't craft them though I could requisition them. I will probably go Plasma beams / Quantum torps for the extra damage potential. Sound OK?

Consoles

For Sci, I'll get Graviton, Particle, and Countermeasures. Tac: beam damage increase and plasma damage increase. Eng: I'll get whatever I can get my hands on for cheap.

Do all of these ideas cohere well? Thanks in advance for any advice.

akaar2 11-04-2012 06:35 PM

There are people far more knowldeable than I to give you advice. I would trade out gravity well for tykens rift, since your soloing at this time it's better IMHO. Also maybe think about energy siphon in exchange for jam sensors. Yourdoubling of hazard emitters is a waste as they share the same cool down, maybe SCI team I instead. You need to put more of your power to AUX for the Sci powers to work well (as your well aware). I'm sure you'll get better advice soon but until then... Good hunting

khayuung 11-04-2012 06:52 PM

Flip tactical team and HYT around, without attack patterns the buff from TT2 is useless.

When soloing, grav-well is good. Bring some tractor beams and tachyon beams with the tractor beam and gravwell doffs.

Once you get into the higher levels, the Tyken's doff, Rift 3, 2 copies of energy siphon 2 and polaron turrets with either rapid reload transphasics or quantums are a better idea.

dareau 11-04-2012 08:52 PM

I know I'm pushing this a bit...

Thing is, to help you plan a little bit better now, it would be nice to know / at least have an idea as to what you'll be flying at "end game"...

As each end-game ship uses / needs a slightly different build...

Recon Science Vessel is slightly more "tactical" oriented (4 Sci 3 Tac 2 Engie consoles, Cmdr & LtCmdr Sci, Lt Engie, and Lt & Ens. Tactical), and runs a little less hull for better turn rate, while the Deep Space Science Vessel inverts the "secondary" - 3 Engie / 2 tactical Consoles and the lonely ensign is engineering instead of Tactical, with a hair more hull but less turn rate...

On this note, I'd be recommending / gearing a build differently for the RSV than the DSSV, the DSSV might want slightly more "control" and let a heal shift over to the engineering slots while the RSV tends to want as much damage as possible, to go with the tactical orientation and lack of healing (best defense = good offense)...

I'd recommend Gravity Well now and maybe shift to the Tyken's rifts later rather than using Tyken's now (as Tyken's needs admiral-level skills to finish boosting it while GW uses I think Cmdr-level skills), and GW also is a useful small-target trap power for the smaller ships that tend to start clustered but split apart in late PvE. Tyken's really needs the skill along with energy syphon, polaron weapons, and maybe even Viral Matrix to really hurt while the GW does decent damage as soon as shields go down (which, on smaller targets, is usually somewhat early in a BFaW/Torp spread volley...)

nimloh 11-05-2012 05:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have some follow up questions.

1. Will Hazard Emitters I and Hazard Emitters II both taken with the Lt. Sci officer share the same cooldown?

2. Should I scrap Viral Matrix as a Captain (even with a countermeasure sci console)? The skill is improved with Admiral tier skill points. If I keep it, should I switch positions with Gravity Well or Tyken's so I could get GW III or TR III with Viral Matrix I?

3. A lot of interesting Sci abilities share the same cooldown: Gravity Well, Tyken's Rift, Tachyon Beam, ect. I've tried to avoid getting more then one of these which I why I chose Viral Matrix--it doesn't share a cooldown. It this a mistake? I am worried too much about avoiding abilities sharing the same cooldown>

nimloh 11-05-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dareau (Post 6409131)
I know I'm pushing this a bit...

Thing is, to help you plan a little bit better now, it would be nice to know / at least have an idea as to what you'll be flying at "end game"...

As each end-game ship uses / needs a slightly different build...

I appreciate that. I've discovered how important planning is in this game. Unfortunately I really don't know what I'll do at end game yet. I'll probably try the Klingon side and/or play through as an Eng officer.

I'll probably spend more time with end game content after that. By then I hope I'll will have learned a lot more about the game.

maelwy5 11-05-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimloh (Post 6412391)
Thanks for the replies. I have some follow up questions.

1. Will Hazard Emitters I and Hazard Emitters II both taken with the Lt. Sci officer share the same cooldown?

2. Should I scrap Viral Matrix as a Captain (even with a countermeasure sci console)? The skill is improved with Admiral tier skill points. If I keep it, should I switch positions with Gravity Well or Tyken's so I could get GW III or TR III with Viral Matrix I?

3. A lot of interesting Sci abilities share the same cooldown: Gravity Well, Tyken's Rift, Tachyon Beam, ect. I've tried to avoid getting more then one of these which I why I chose Viral Matrix--it doesn't share a cooldown. It this a mistake? I am worried too much about avoiding abilities sharing the same cooldown>

1. Yes, there'll be a slight overlap. You won't get full uptime out of both powers, but you'll get better uptime than with just one copy.

2. Personally, Gravity Well, Tykens Rift or Tractor Beam Repulsors are all I'll bother taking for offensive Science BOFF powers. And Transfer Shield Strength, Hazard Emitters and Polarize Hull 1 for defensive powers.

3. Don't worry quite so much, test it and see what setup you prefer.

Generally speaking, you can expect a bit of negative impact between two powers that share the same system cooldown. Example: if Power A and Power B both recharge in 60 seconds, using one will likely mean that you need to wait 45 seconds before using the other. There are certain exceptions (Emergency Power to X being an obvious one), but it's a good rule of thumb for science powers.

If you're soloing a bit in PVE, there are a lot of viable space setups. And a Science Captain is probably the best soloist for ground combat. Find a ship you like the look of, and ask around. For levelling up, you can get by extremely well with just 1-2 copies of Tac Team 1, plus 1-2 copies of Emergency Power to Shields and one copy of Hazard Emitters. Aux2SIF and TSS are nice additions if you fly something a bit squishier.

shaeply 11-13-2012 04:33 PM

i like this with sci+intrepid
against one strong target (pvp, bosses) energy siphon 2 (or tachyon beam 3) + viral matrix 3
against multiple targets (most of pve except bosses) scramble sensors 2 + gravity well 3
for the rest take heals, tractor beam 1, photonic officer 1.

tractor beam + tykens rift works nice too.

snowpig74 11-15-2012 03:45 AM

if you are looking for a low weapons-energry-/high aux-build, try slotting tractor beam (equip the tractor beam officer, who adds the shield drain) and a higher tachyon beam (II or even III)

All you need then is to drain the enemies shields then punch him with torpedos (High yield/spread I/II - equip two launchers (photon/quantum)). Combined with gravity well you can pin a group of enemies in one spot, then use the splash damage from the reactor breach / torp spread to damage/kill other ships around.

...and don't forget to skill 6 points into flow capacitors ;)