Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   New Omega Adapted Set, the [DMG] Modifier & [DMG] Mod in general. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=436171)

ussultimatum 11-05-2012 04:28 AM

New Omega Adapted Set Weapons w/ [DMG] Mods & the [DMG] Mod in general.
 
This question is for any dev willing to answer.


The new Omega Adapted Set cutting beam & torpedo both have multiple [DMG] modifiers on them (x3 and x2 respectively)

The Fleet weapons all have [DMG]x3.

Many dilithium store & crafted items have [DMG] modifier or [DMG]x2.

The Vesta Aux DHC also has [DMG]x2 modifiers.



It is also largely considered the worst possible modifier.

I'm not sure if that's 100% accurate for PvE content (it's certainly not as good as multiple CrtH or CrtD modifiers), but it's true for PvP certainly.

It's also, as modifiers go, pretty boring.



Why do we continue to see [DMG] modifier, and in many cases [DMG] x2 or x3 added to all kinds of new weapons?


Is it intended for these weapons to be mediocre by design, as a stepping stone towards getting weapons off the exchange or lucky drops?

Or do the devs have some other reason they consider [DMG] to be more valuable than the playerbase does?

fulleatherjacket 11-05-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ussultimatum (Post 6411971)
Is it intended for these weapons to be mediocre by design, as a stepping stone towards getting weapons off the exchange or lucky drops?

You pretty much answered your own question here. These weapons have to be purple quality but Cryptic can't let them be stupid overpowered with multiple Acc or Crit modifiers, so they go with the easy underpowered Dmg option so players who can't afford a Vesta or fleet weapons or quad cannons won't cry too much about it.

ussultimatum 11-05-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket (Post 6412051)
...so players who can't afford a Vesta or fleet weapons or quad cannons won't cry too much about it.

Except it's being, or has previously been, added to nearly every endgame weapon available.

* Omega Adapted set weapons
* Fleet weapons
* Dilithium store weapons
* Crafted weapons
* Ship specific weapons such as Spiral Wave Disruptors & Aux DHCs


If you're unable to attain any of those, you are also probably unable to attain anything top end from the exchange as well.


That also does not answer my question because it's purely speculation on your part and mine. Without a direct developer comment, neither of us will ever really know the design intent.

seekerkorhil 11-05-2012 04:42 AM

In reality I think it is so that you get an apparent power increase without them having to raise the "MK" or the level cap.

Its fuel for the power creep thats all. And thats a bad thing.

topset 11-05-2012 05:38 AM

I'm not even sure I believe that [dmg] is the worst modifier available, and I think everyone just jumps on that bandwagon and believes it when it seems to go against my experience.

Everyone seems to think that [acc] are the best because when you're maxed out in accuracy, they give you more critical procs, which will increase your DPS more than a sustained [dmg] modifier - but when I've been testing out new weapons setups and examing my battle log afterwards, [dmg]x3[crtD] fleet weapons have outperformed [dmg]x3[acc] weapons when specced for crits.

[dmg]x3 also outperforms [acc]x2 [dmg] weapons when you're specced for energy crits, it had a higher DPS over a 10-minute run.

Not to mention that fleet weapons easily outperform borg weapons!

Basically, I want to see some numbers and hard evidence that shows me that dmg is a poor modifier - because as of right now I simply don't believe it and I'm content to think it's just an urban legend of the forums.

ussultimatum 11-05-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topset (Post 6412621)
.
Everyone seems to think that [acc] are the best because when you're maxed out in accuracy, they give you more critical procs, which will increase your DPS more than a sustained [dmg] modifier

ACC and ACC overflow are generally poorly understood by most players.

However, ACC is very important in PvP as you can often deal with high defense targets.



For PvE however, CrtH (higher sustained improvement) and CrtD (higher burst) are both generally better than both DMG and ACC.

carl103 11-05-2012 07:14 AM

The problem with the dmg modiifer is that as i understand it, it's a straight up +5. That mans for many weapons, and especially cannons it adds onlya couple of % at the best.

ussultimatum 11-05-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl103 (Post 6413491)
The problem with the dmg modiifer is that as i understand it, it's a straight up +5. That mans for many weapons, and especially cannons it adds onlya couple of % at the best.

Yes, it doesn't scale at all which is one of the main issues with it.

borticuscryptic 11-05-2012 05:56 PM

We've been discussing weapon modifiers internally for a while now, based on feedback we've been getting over the past few months. It's likely that this will result in making some sweeping changes to modifier values and their associated effectiveness.

But such changes will not arrive in time for Season 7 launch.

ussultimatum 11-05-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borticuscryptic (Post 6421071)
We've been discussing weapon modifiers internally for a while now, based on feedback we've been getting over the past few months. It's likely that this will result in making some sweeping changes to modifier values and their associated effectiveness.

But such changes will not arrive in time for Season 7 launch.

Interesting, thanks for the info Bort.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM.