Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Is playing on Elite worthless? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=439661)

geoff484 11-08-2012 08:53 PM

Is playing on Elite worthless?

I just started my first toon in over a year and decided to play the entire game on Elite. I'm not doing too bad, but aren't you supposed to get better gear playing on Elite? I'm know it's random and maybe it's because my toon is only Lt. Comm and I haven't got that far into the game, but about 90% of the drops I've been getting is food and lock boxes.

I'm not expecting purple gear, but it seems like I'm not getting really anything. The drop rate itself doesn't even seem to be any higher.

jcsww 11-08-2012 09:33 PM

It's been like this for quite some time. Basically the only reward you get for playing on elite is a slight challenge. The rewards are utter crap! When the death penalty first was brought into this game, the rewards for higher levels were better but they were nerfed quite a while back also.

lordfuzun 11-08-2012 10:00 PM

The drop rate does not increase on Elite. The changes of better gear drops are increased.

crypticarmsman 11-08-2012 10:05 PM

If you're just playing for the 'better' gear, yes, it's worthless as the drop rates aren't that much better.

However, if you're playing it (like me) on Elite because the lower setting are so ROFLSTOMP easy, you could progress in game by watching your pet walk across your keyboard, kill stuff, and never get you or your ship killed - in could be worth it.

I play on Elite just because I wan't some small level of challenge (and even on Elite it's not much.)

But, in the end, people should do what's the most enjoyable for themselves, as this is, in the end, a game you're hopefully playing for relaxation and enjoyment.

geoff484 11-08-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crypticarmsman (Post 6472701)
If you're just playing for the 'better' gear, yes, it's worthless as the drop rates aren't that much better.

However, if you're playing it (like me) on Elite because the lower setting are so ROFLSTOMP easy, you could progress in game by watching your pet walk across your keyboard, kill stuff, and never get you or your ship killed - in could be worth it.

I play on Elite just because I wan't some small level of challenge (and even on Elite it's not much.)

But, in the end, people should do what's the most enjoyable for themselves, as this is, in the end, a game you're hopefully playing for relaxation and enjoyment.

Good point, I honestly don't plan on changing from elite to normal, I was just expecting something better. I remember the last toon I rolled up about a year ago I was getting some really good drops, I just kind of expected the same thing with this one.

I'm actually mostly playing this new toon because I finally got around to watching DS9 and Voyager, so I figured after watching those it might make the story in game seem more interesting to me.

wraithshadow13 11-08-2012 10:36 PM

Yeah, i've been playing elites only on the STFs, because all the gear i got was the exact same as yours, which is sad seeing how it's not even the better quality food items either.

futurepastnow 11-09-2012 11:30 AM

The drops are "better," in the sense that their quality level is increased, but one only needs so many blue/purple deflectors, engines, and shields, and weapons of types one doesn't use.

I've found that the difficulty settings don't make things appreciably more difficult, they just make everything take longer. About the only value to playing on Elite is to get used to enemies that require a lot of damage to kill.