Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Appearance Request: Accolades (Ribbons) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=442001)

crashoveride2 11-11-2012 11:55 AM

Appearance Request: Accolades (Ribbons)

I think this would be a pretty neat request. The option to display your accolades on your character just as military personnel do on their formal wear.

so instead of having a nickname to display on your character, you can also show off what else you have earned in combat.

What do you guys think?

bubblygumsworth 11-11-2012 12:07 PM

I'd like to see cosmetic items like accolades, ribbons and medals that I can pin to a toon's chest in game.

cmdrscarlet 11-11-2012 12:49 PM

It would be neat but not really canon UNLESS on a dress uniform ... if there is such a thing in game?

crashoveride2 11-11-2012 11:06 PM

I think it wouldn't matter. in my fleet we have a uniform code that even makes the sashes seem like an high tier officer rank so i think the ribbons would be a boost to some

sumghai 11-12-2012 01:52 PM

As cool as the idea may sound, accolade ribbons on uniforms are more suited to contemporary armed forces rather than Starfleet or KDF - the only example of award ribbons on uniforms in Trek is on Fleet Admiral Bill's TWoK uniform, but even then most actors felt the TWoK uniforms were too militaristic for Starfleet.

I'd much much rather have a medal case in my ship's ready room.

crusty8mac 11-12-2012 10:02 PM

If I pinned every accolade I had on my uniform, you wouldn't see the uniform. I like the idea of wall hangings.

jkstocbr 11-12-2012 10:54 PM

I could make myself an oversized poncho with all the accolades I have.

dareau 11-13-2012 07:53 AM

Diplomacy prize uniform, ToS Dress Uni, TNG Dress uni. 3 "Dress" uniforms right off the top of my head, though one's an unlock and the other two are C-store, and I vaguely think the S1 TNG dress uni is in the C-store too...

Though, of all these uniforms, only the ToS one has any kind of "medals", and even then, "canon" sets of medals (Kirk's, Spock's, McCoy's) are provided as "badges"...

Then there's the case of ribbons on the TWoK unis...

Personally, I'd like to see ribbons and/or an "awards case", but I'd go about it a little differently...

Accolade wise, you'd only get ribbons for certain achievements - Maxing out a commendation tier (11 ribbons), getting 80%+ of the accolades from a story-arc (allows one or two misses of "harder" accolades, and only count player-class, so you don't need to run, say, "Of Bajor" with a trinity team just for the ribbon) - so 6 more ribbons here, and a small handful of medals from "end game" content, so say a "star" from the STFs (choice of, say, the #-many STFs ran, MACO/KHG set completion, Omega set completion), siege/incursion breaker, one related to the new Rommie content, and a PvP medal. At most, this is 18 ribbons and 4 "medals", which wouldn't clutter a uniform but can show massive amounts of dedication to the game...

angeloscuroo 11-14-2012 05:49 AM

Possible Solution

I think the best way to work this issue is to have an Armory page similar to games like WoW, so people can check out other players and their achivements.

Also you can restrict the ribbons and medals to only dress uniforms and put restriction on X amount of ribbons, medals displayed.

tigersan24 11-14-2012 04:04 PM

Playing around with uniforms and emblems for our new fleet, i'm all for having the possibility to pin some accolades' ribbons or medals on it, maybe just 3 from the many you have won, below the combadge or on the other side of the chest.

That would definitively be cool... along with an emblem creator allowing us to upload our own design.

Being able to customize our ship's interiors and exteriors more, like the hideouts in Champions, would also be extremely exciting.

Crossing my fingers for this to happen soonish ;)