Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   fleet gear or omega gear? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=449011)

foolssin 11-15-2012 08:16 AM

fleet gear or omega gear?

I'm curious about whether fleet gear is better than omega gear... can anyone tell me which is better?

f2pdrakron 11-15-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foolssin (Post 6605331)
I'm curious about whether fleet gear is better than omega gear... can anyone tell me which is better?

At this point you can only get Fleet weapons since the [Borg] weapons were removed since they did not even fully worked and they taken 2 mods anyways (glorified blues), STFs Sets are still the best.

mandoknight89 11-15-2012 08:27 AM

It depends on what you're looking at. The Omega gear has item sets, which are in general more powerful than non-set items. However, its selection is rather limited to mostly Borg-derived and anti-Borg equipment. Except for the item sets, if you're not fighting Borg day in and day out, you're better off with Fleet gear.

As far as I know, though, the MACO shield is still the best in the game.

jcsww 11-15-2012 08:32 AM

Stick with the fleet gear! It's better and cheaper! :cool:

f2pdrakron 11-15-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcsww (Post 6606051)
Stick with the fleet gear! It's better and cheaper! :cool:

No, its not.

Weapons, yes but that is because STFs weapons were removed but sets? no way in hell. And you be paying its weight in Dilithium anyway so why waste it in Ship equipment when it not going to beat the sets.

Ground is even more lopsided since sets give powers, like MACO that comes with a buildin shield recharger so if you are not playing a Eng you get a Shield recharging ability for free, not even mentioning the passive abilities that Fleet Ground gear will lack.

Outside Ship weapons, you go with the Omega Store if you can.

partizan81 11-15-2012 09:17 AM

I love my fleet weapons tbh <3

seekerkorhil 11-15-2012 09:22 AM

Unbalanced set bonuses and gear are a crutch.

Stick with fleet gear. Besides, the loss of space set bonuses are no big deal unless you favor the full borg set in which case see the above statement.

hevach 11-15-2012 09:36 AM

Some of the elite fleet pieces have fake set bonuses built in - the shields have an adaptation proc that's almost identical to the Aegis 3 piece set. Any kind of split setup with an off-set shield would do well with an elite fleet shield. The standard fleet shields not so much, they just have random collections of resistances and no adaptive resistance.

trygvar13 11-15-2012 09:57 AM

I only use my BORG gear when I run STF's. Otherwise I use my Fleet gear which is way better than Borg gear in my opinion.

lordfuzun 11-15-2012 11:12 AM

Fleet gear is arguably as good as (perhaps better) and Set gear piece per piece.
Set gear does have an advantage over. They provide 2 and 3 piece set abilities. Those extra abilities don't take up a gear ot device slots. It's nice to have an extra Shield heal, health heal, or defense boost when devices are on cool down.