Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Is stfs even with dilithium added worth doing without loot drops anymore? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=449141)

cptskeeteruk 11-15-2012 09:08 AM

Is stfs even with dilithium added worth doing without loot drops anymore?

I always did stfs with my fleet for the drops and the dilithium to save for zen incase theres somit i need like a respec or ship. As well as the random chance of a purple mk xii console or weapon or whatever was nice.

Adding dilithium back has made me think i might want to do elite stfs again but without drops of loot which i need if i ever wana buy stuff on exchange which costs like millions i duno if i can be bothered now as that was my sole way of getting ec.

kbflordkrueg 11-15-2012 09:18 AM

Only if you ever want to access the Gear you get from the STF vendors.
If you've got it already or think it's not needed, then you're set.
They're the same missions, even the new ones are too bad.
Guess it's your decision.

sensorghost 11-15-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptskeeteruk (Post 6607851)
I always did stfs with my fleet for the drops and the dilithium to save for zen incase theres somit i need like a respec or ship. As well as the random chance of a purple mk xii console or weapon or whatever was nice.

Adding dilithium back has made me think i might want to do elite stfs again but without drops of loot which i need if i ever wana buy stuff on exchange which costs like millions i duno if i can be bothered now as that was my sole way of getting ec.

No it's not worth it. The entire loot system is broken and they want it that way to force more Zen purchases.. Enjoy the new reality.

obsidiusrex 11-15-2012 09:28 AM

Meh, most of the non-Borg-turn-in loot I got from STFs was vendor trash anyhow, compared to the Borg store gear and Dilithium Store gear. Just my 2 ECs.

danqueller 11-15-2012 09:49 AM

I guess alot would depend on if you are a player who plays the game in order to grind and look at all the rewards you've gotten, or if you play for the enjoyment of playing the game.

For myself, I've played STFs for the enjoyment of challenge and engaging in the actions within the STFs. I'd do them even if I didn't get any rewards (though it's nice to make succeeding have rewards), just to challenge myself and fly my ship/engage my character against the toughest parts of the game.

However, I know I am probably unusual in that regard, and many other players only see their STO gameplay as a gain-loss equation. As I am not of that mentality, I couldn't say if STFs would be worth it for them, as it would depend on what they were trying to collect, and what they consider worthwhile.

badname834854 11-15-2012 10:00 AM

The Deflectors and engines were nice to sell for extra EC. It's the mk xii weapons that I will miss. I'm sure this is intentional....

daan2006 11-15-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensorghost (Post 6608501)
No it's not worth it. The entire loot system is broken and they want it that way to force more Zen purchases.. Enjoy the new reality.

this 1000 times ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

franc275 11-15-2012 10:15 AM

STFs and the future

Personally I think they are trying to prepare everyone for removal of the STFs (at least the 3 originals). And a slow progression toward a different set, a wider ranging set also, of missions.

STFs were heavy on the DIL - do a night of Elites and you would easily hit your 8K daily refine limit. BUT since they were heavy on the DIL - I think it increased the PUGs and AFKers in them just looking for a quick dil drop.

Change is well change, not many people embrase change well, in any setting, game or real life. This change requires you to change the way you play the game. Does it suck? sure, until you learn to adapt. And if you're willing to put in the effort to make that adaptation, which is really the essence of Star Trek, you will be rewarded.

I was/am mostly a solo player. I have a fleet, and I do team up with them, but often I don't know how long I will be able to be actively in game, so not to drag anyone down I don't often team. So prior to S7 I was finding it increasingly difficult to aquire 8K DIL in 4 hours of off and on play.

Coming into S7 - I was concerned it would be even more difficult. However, when analyzing the situation and looking at all of my options, I was handsomely pleased to find out how much DIL I would aquire in short game play. Much like the great amounts of fleet marks you can aquire in short quick missions like Colony Invasion and Starbase Incursion.

I played off and on last night for about 3-4 hours and I netted ~15K DIL. I didn't play 1 STF, and I also played a Colony Invasion, Starbase Incursion, and the new Space Romulan Marks one - can't remember the name, but you save ships from Tholians. So in 3-4 Hours, I have enough Dil for 8K refinement cap, I contributed Fleet Marks, and I have Romulan Marks, only thing missing were Omega Marks, of which I could have easily spent a few minutes getting quickly and given up some of the over 8K dil runs I did.

I'm not saying it's going to be EASY to accomplish everything in game - but I think that's the point, it shouldn't be EASY to have everything. There has to be sacrifice for rewards - the better you are at mitigating the sacrifice and easier the reward. Give S7 a chance, more than 1-2 days, before you say it's good or bad. I'm still on the fence on a few issues, but I'm not sure the DIL changes are as BAD as everyone is making them out to be.

contact me in game if you'd be interested in any DIL aquiring techniques for the new S7, or would like to team up for any missions @franc275

portgazd 11-15-2012 10:44 AM

TBH it actually gives the old fleet actions a purpose now since you get purple drops for coming in 1st place. So in my perspective it's either do i want a omega marks or purple gea (i.e. Fleet Actions or STFs).

hartzilla 11-15-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portgazd (Post 6610641)
TBH it actually gives the old fleet actions a purpose now since you get purple drops for coming in 1st place.

First and second place actually.