Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Federation starship names (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=450481)

lincolninspace 11-15-2012 09:17 PM

Federation starship names

I noticed that the name generator does not use all caps yet as far as I have noticed Starfleet ships always have their name in ALL CAPS on their ship. There are also many people naming their ships with typos I did so once myself. I was wondering if Cryptic has put any thought into addressing these issues?

unangbangkay 11-15-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lincolninspace (Post 6623871)
I noticed that the name generator does not use all caps yet as far as I have noticed Starfleet ships always have their name in ALL CAPS on their ship. There are also many people naming their ships with typos I did so once myself. I was wondering if Cryptic has put any thought into addressing these issues?

Cryptic isn't policing typos in ship names, nor should they. Hell, for all we know those "typos" are intentional.

As for the all-caps thing, I don't see what the issue is. Ship names are always displayed in all-caps in menus (but not on the main screen), so it doesn't matter what you type in the field. And again, for all we know all-caps names are intentional on part of the players using them.

TL;DR if you want to fix these "issues" harass the players whose ship names you dislike.

connectamabob 11-17-2012 12:15 AM

Ship names as painted on the hull are always in all caps 'cause that's the way they are in the movies and shows. It's part of the canon Starfleet marking conventions. It's also the same with real world naval ship names markings, which is what the fictional sc-fi markings are based on/inspired by. Names will be proper noun capitalized in normal text situations, but hull markings, mission patches, banners, etc are all caps.

I'd guess it's probably the predominant convention even with civilian boats (commercial boats, at least for certain), whether it's legally required or not. It's a visibility thing: so other boats, or even aircraft if need be, can have an easier time reading your name at a distance.

...Not that would be terribly useful on a starship, outside of spacedock/drydock. It mostly just boils down to a visual design way of telling the audience "this is a military ship". Gotta retain some token vestige of a Starfleet style code somewhere, what with all the customizable "uniforms" and paint schemes.

voicesdark 11-17-2012 09:50 AM

If you look at enough ships in-game and in real life you'll also notice the name is in multiple places as well. Since ships in sci-fi have engines in the back the name place that is normally in the rear of real life ships is moved to the front either on top, underside or both. The name is also typically on the side of the vessel/ship as well as you'll notice several ships (usually the larger ones) have the name placed on the nacelles as well. Pretty much same reasoning as having the ship name in all capitals.

In sci-fi this all helps with identifying debris as well as we've seen countless times in ST over the years.

poopbang 11-19-2012 07:21 PM

Ship Name

U.S.S. Spirit of Fury
Because It sounded cool

supergaminggeek 11-20-2012 05:41 PM

Working as intended.

age03 11-20-2012 07:05 PM

The only thing I hate is seeing all the variations of the name Enterprise as wel as gods like Odin and Thor.

voporak 11-20-2012 08:07 PM

Another U.S.S. Enterprize, another U.S.S. Prometheus, there goes the neighborhood...

One of my favorite things to say in game. But Cryptic shouldn't be policing the names of ships (except for the bad names, which is already filtered) because as said above, it could be intentional.

doughboy2 11-21-2012 09:55 AM

Ship Names

Quote:

Originally Posted by lincolninspace (Post 6623871)

Naming your ship is part of picking the color, style (when offered). Is a way to make it your own for your own fun. Allowing CAPS and no CAPS is just an added way to be different. Example my Human borg toon ship is U.S.S.ASSIMULATEthis (combination of both).

adorkabledori 11-21-2012 05:59 PM

called my Oddy : Enter'Ur'Price :P