Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   S7, Omega Rep and new toons (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=450911)

dareau 11-16-2012 06:23 AM

S7, Omega Rep and new toons

Now this is, shall we say, interesting...

I have a KDF Sci that I've been slowly working on during my days off, and just levelled to 44 after the season 7 update...

Comparing her "entrance" into Omega Force in S7 to the toons I got into Omega Force back in seasons 5/6, things are a lot different...

I still got the popup for D'Vak telling me I now "qualify" for Omega Force, and to see him at my convenience. However, that mission now "auto resolves" and I have no distinct reason to visit him.

I visited him anyway. He told me everything he used to (the reasons for Omega Force, etc.), but he did not tell me anything about visiting Roxy or about getting my "complimentary" Mk X [Borg] weapon.

Roxy tells me nothing but that the store has moved into the reputation system. A system that I will not unlock till L 50...

S7 yanked my "free" Mk X weapon for getting to Omega Force...

Okay, that got me thinking. What else did I "lose" for not rushing her to STFs in Season 6?

Well, I lost access to the Retro Borg set - so no more "accelerated speed" till days after I hit 50, and even then, I have to complete 2 sets of "reputation" missions and the unlock/creation missions - where I could have had Retro Borg in 7.5-15 STFs in the old days...

I took a long look at the Omega Rep unlock scheme, I didn't see any of the space weapons, but lots of assault rifles, pistols, sets, etc.

Gone is my "easy" way to having a coordinated set of Mk X / XI "blue" space weapons (since [Borg] modifier is what converts it into purples and it doesn't work anywhere else but STFs / Borg space). Gone is my ability to move faster in sector space until I get Quantum Slipstream - as I unlock that at the same time I now unlock access to the assimilated Borg set. Gone is my assimilated console from visiting Undine space, now, it's a construction project. Yep, endgame doesn't phase in as of 44, it's hard-capped at 50. Only reason to run STFs before then, even normal ones, except to stockpile marks for when I finally hit 50.

Was this intentional? Or just an unpleasant side effect of the reputation system. I'll just keep her out of STFs until I've seen how the Reputation store works and I mirror her, on days off, to 50...

admiralq1732 11-16-2012 08:30 AM

I believe intentional from men who should not be in their positions

dimitranokai 11-20-2012 10:41 AM

Yeah, the same items now take more time and are more expensive to acquire. Any previous progress has been taken away and held hostage.

I know a lot of people are fanboys, and I too really want to like this game...but yeesh, it does not take very long to analyze the situation and see how much worse things have gotten.

xantris 11-20-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitranokai (Post 6696921)
Yeah, the same items now take more time and are more expensive to acquire. Any previous progress has been taken away and held hostage.

I know a lot of people are fanboys, and I too really want to like this game...but yeesh, it does not take very long to analyze the situation and see how much worse things have gotten.

Depends on your viewpoint. If you thought easy fast gear was a great system,and obviously a lot of people do, then it's worse. I can understand that, even if I don't agree.

If you value a progressive gear and power climb that doesn't devalue gear (especially anything Mk X or XI) and gives long term benefits (ie captain unlock skills via rep), then it's better.

I have my issues, I think the lower tier gear is far too expensive; I think Romulan and fleet mark missions should give a small amount of dilithium(250ish). I think optionals should be rewarded by purple loot bags in eSTFs. Gear projects shouldn't take up a project slot in the reputation system, but instead an upgrade slot. But ultimately I do like the direction away from easy instant gratification.

I do think cryptic threw a bunch of nonsense spin on their real reasons for making the changes, and that pissed a lot of people off. Either because they believe they are being lied to, or because it makes Cryptic look incompetent by stating goals that are contrary to implemented design.

dirlettia 11-20-2012 11:11 AM

The negativity comes because we currently have two groups, ie the Have's and the Have Nots!

The Haves all have their mk XII equipment and are able to pretty much dominate with impunity anybody who is a Have Not. The Have Nots on the other hand currently have zero chance of being able to get on a level footing as everything is now time and currency gated well beyond anything in existence before. Surely this disparity cannot be considered fair?

The alternative for the folks who think the rep system is fair would have been for all their stuff they own which is now rep gated to have been taken and locked in boxes until an appropriate rep level had been reached and they could get it back again.

momaw 11-20-2012 11:31 AM

I liked my KDF science character. So I wanted a Federation science character. I started one and advanced her a few levels.

Then season 7 arrived.

Now it's a full time job just keeping up with three characters, nevermind four. And now any new characters will go months without the same equipment that previous characters could grind out in a few days, having to spend oceans on dilithium on it. And she won't even be able to doff competently, because those now cost ludicrous amounts to upgrade.

The cons of playing that character greatly outweigh the benefits.

More relevant for Cryptic: I have no incentive whatsoever to buy a Vesta.