Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Nerf Everything To Around 1/10th Current Effectiveness (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=451041)

stevehale 11-16-2012 07:10 AM

Nerf Everything To Around 1/10th Current Effectiveness

Oh I know, nerf is such a bad word. I suppose the alternative would be to boost the hell out of unbuffed base stats. So give ships ten times the hull and shields that they have now. It's the same basic idea of diminishing the all importance of stacking poorly balanced skills.

Want to reduce the likelihood of being instapopped or running into invincible zombies? Don't like "one shot kills" and yo-yo hull healing? Bring all abilities in the game back down to a reasonable level. Work out smarter mechanics for stacking items and skills. This would make the game more accessible for new players and add extra tactical dimensions for more skilled players.

There is a reason Commander and Captain level PvP were so much fun and it's largely related to the less twitchy game play. Call me crazy but we don't need this game to continue down this path of inaccessibility. The skill gap between players themselves is vast enough. Continuing to pile on more and more vastly over powered abilities is only going to further hurt the player base.

The game is too spammy. Abilities are too strong. There is a tremendous difference between a buffed ship and an unbuffed ship. Abilities should add dimensions to combat, not break it.

upyournacelles2 11-16-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehale (Post 6630591)
abilities Should Add Dimensions To Combat, Not Break It.

^^^^ This ^^^^

dontdrunkimshoot 11-16-2012 09:59 AM

90% of survivability is out healing damage, 90% of useful damage dealing is CRF + other buffs, the base line is nothing. ive said the same thing in the past.

thishorizon 11-16-2012 06:02 PM

Hale,

you speak in a foreign tongue.

all i hear is logic, i don't think the devs will be able to grasp the message you are sending.

me on the other hand, i hear ya loud and clear.

have fun kill bad guys

jellico1 11-16-2012 06:11 PM

The OP is correct

Starship combat should take minutes not
Seconds

thissler 11-16-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Oh I know, nerf is such a bad word. I suppose the alternative would be to boost the hell out of unbuffed base stats. So give ships ten times the hull and shields that they have now. It's the same basic idea of diminishing the all importance of stacking poorly balanced skills.

Want to reduce the likelihood of being instapopped or running into invincible zombies? Don't like "one shot kills" and yo-yo hull healing? Bring all abilities in the game back down to a reasonable level. Work out smarter mechanics for stacking items and skills. This would make the game more accessible for new players and add extra tactical dimensions for more skilled players.

There is a reason Commander and Captain level PvP were so much fun and it's largely related to the less twitchy game play. Call me crazy but we don't need this game to continue down this path of inaccessibility. The skill gap between players themselves is vast enough. Continuing to pile on more and more vastly over powered abilities is only going to further hurt the player base.

The game is too spammy. Abilities are too strong. There is a tremendous difference between a buffed ship and an unbuffed ship. Abilities should add dimensions to combat, not break it.

Well yah. Unbuffed ships die quick violent deaths. And I'm just fine with that. Even baseline abilities that everyone has access to should be sufficient to stop such a thing from happening to oneself. And really right now I'm not sure that that is true. From a purely tactical attack it is fairly simple to make yourself well defended. Staggeringly simple. As has been pointed out to me repeatedly. What isn't so easy is to make yourself strong against the broken flavors of abilities and doff combos.

Buffed and unbuffed, HUGE difference, easily changed. Mostly by....

No knowledge and some knowledge of pvp, HUGE difference. Easy to convert one to the other.

Borked abilities and items, just not getting around that.

So if they just did as you suggest, it may not change the outcome, it may just make it take longer. And maybe that's a good thing.

Now if you were suggesting the end of quirky doff stacking to gain neverending evasives or TT or blah blah blah. Or five tac consoles ships for the lucky few, or something that the 95% (yup im making that number up) of players will never reasonably have, I'm all for it.

virusdancer 11-17-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Abilities should add dimensions to combat, not break it.

I've never quite been happy with the way BOFF abilities are setup in STO. They feel off - handled in a manner I do not consider to be logical in the least. The connection between the BOFFs and the stations is far too simplified in my opinion. They need to be separated.

Say what?

Let's look at a BOFF and let's look at a Station. The BOFF should have a Rank. The Station should have a Tech Level.

Say we have a Commander Tac BOFF - I'll give him some random abilities for what I'm trying to say (they're not thought out, etc): APD3, DPB2, THY2, and TT1. This Tac BOFF's best ability is APD - it's what they've specialized in.

Now let's put that Tac BOFF in a ship. I'll drop him in a Steamrunner - and - I'll drop him in that Commander Tac BOFF slot.

That's fine, eh? That's what we've got now.

Okay, but what if I drop him in a Lt Tac Slot on a Dreadnought? Well, he can only use THY2 and TT1. Sure, he's specialized in APD and subspec'd DPB - but he can't use them.

Logically, if he knows APD3 - he knows APD2 and he knows APD1. If he knows DPB2 then he knows DPB1. But that's not the way it works in the game.

Now if the stations were based on a tech level rather than rank level - we'd have TL1, TL2, TL3, TL4. The BOFF Rank abilities would still be connected. You would need a TL4 Tac Station to run APD3. You could not run APD3 in a TL3, TL2, nor TL1 station.

What you could do though with that Tac BOFF is the following though:

TL4 Station: APD3, DPB2, THY2, TT1
TL3 Station: APD2, DPB2, THY2, TT1
TL2 Station: APD1, DPB1, THY2, TT1
TL1 Station: THY1, TT1

With both APD and DPB requiring a min TL2 station - they could not be used in a TL1 slot.

You could have a max of 3 abilities in a TL1 station with either a LCdr or Cmdr BOFF (the Commander's Cmdr rank ability - their best ability would only be available at TL2 or higher depending on what it is). Further - depending on how you build that BOFF, you might only have a single ability in that TL1 station.

Logically though, if the guy knows Ability X3 - they should know X2 and X1.

Just something I've expressed before in regard to how abilities should add dimensions to play in space...

stevehale 11-18-2012 01:09 PM

I'm certainly not naive enough to think that this is the perfect solution. Anything worth doing is going to take some serious thought and effort. But it would go a long way towards helping make PvP more accessible to the masses without dumbing it down for the more strategic or hardcore players.

phantomeight 11-18-2012 01:18 PM

OP, where are the invincible zombies that you speak of? Sounds neat.

marctraiderz 11-18-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

If you nerf EVERYthing from 10 to 1, there is zero change. lol