Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Are we ready to pay for mission pack DLC? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=451371)

errab 11-16-2012 11:36 AM

Are we ready to pay for mission pack DLC?

Greetings all,

I posed this question to the forums well over a year ago and it was pretty much panned at that time so I thought I?d bring it up again and see what the perception is on the idea this time.

Here?s a quick break down:

Let?s say that Cryptic offers a quality series of missions or a block of one off missions that scaled to the level of the player and could be run whenever we chose to run them and were tailored to both factions.

Let?s say that the DLC also included a new Bridge Officer (perhaps someone from the story contained in the missions) and new DLC exclusive equipment and Doffs and perhaps even Ships.

Let?s say that the asking price for these new DLC was setup like this:

$15.00 for F2P

$5.00 for Lifetime and Gold subscription holders

The above is just a very rough outline but I?m sure it presents the general idea that I?m trying to get across.

ATM STO offers very little incentive to hold a membership and the above idea would help out a bit in that area.

I know that most are already saying ?members should not have to pay extra for game content? but come on we all know that that ship has long since sailed.

I don?t think anything else will ever be added to STO unless it can be seen has profitable to PWE and I fear that it also includes regular non foundry created missions and story driven content.

I has a Lifer since open beta really do not mind the idea of paying for content has long has the content is enjoyable and worth the price I?m being asked to pay for it.

Thanks for your time!

pwebranflakes 11-16-2012 11:42 AM

There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

icegavel 11-16-2012 11:43 AM

This idea would work anywhere BUT here. Fact is, this game is screaming for content as it is. Making people pay for content would cause an absolutely MASSIVE uproar, especially on the Klingon side. Yes, we need content. But we don't need to PAY for content.

bitemepwe 11-16-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwebranflakes (Post 6635441)
There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

and I personaly love that about Cryptic.

bugshu 11-16-2012 11:47 AM

Paying for missions has been a major gripe in Champions and Lord of the Rings Online.

I think this is where you draw the line. If you are going to be f2p then you need to allow any player to play any mission. Of course buying boxes has worked for Lord of the Rings and Guildwars and is acceptable. I like the guildwars model where they force people to buy a box and then go f2p for the rest. Lord of the Rings Im iffy about. Champions is awful in pay for content. It will be really interesting to see how Star Wars does it as they allow you to play popular missions a few times a week but not unlimited times unless you are gold or pay by the month. Star Wars botched their subscription plan and ticked everybody off but otherwise they did a few things right.

Its hard for game companies to tell players hey come try us we are free to play and then find ways to raise money and pay for the game. Rationing content is not the best way to overcome these challenges in my opinion. Nor is pay to win. I really like how League of Legends does it and I guess many agree. Of course it makes it easier when you have 32 million registrations and 5-7 million people playing daily.

I bought more STO boxes than I care to admit and a lifetime also and the last straw would be if they decided to charge me to play new content. I wouldnt be overly happy at being told I couldnt play missions with people because they spent less than I did.

Many have pointed out many good things they could charge for and make money with but new content isnt one of them. Especially when they took the millions we invested in this game and spent it building new content for NWN.

errab 11-16-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwebranflakes (Post 6635441)
There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the response flakes!

I?ve heard that PWE position on game content is a no charge approach; however, I need to know if this also includes non-grinding content has well?

I?ve been begging for new story progress missions and new story arcs for STO for quite some time now and it?s getting harder and harder to wait for it.

Thanks again

pwebranflakes 11-16-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errab (Post 6635591)
Thanks for the response flakes!

I?ve heard that PWE position on game content is a no charge approach; however, I need to know if this also includes non-grinding content has well?

I?ve been begging for new story progress missions and new story arcs for STO for quite some time now and it?s getting harder and harder to wait for it.

Thanks again

PWE acquired Cryptic in 2011. Earlier this year, we released a 5-arc Feature Episode series, "The 2800". It was completely free to all players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugshu (Post 6635521)
Paying for missions has been a major gripe in Champions...

"Was", not "has been" :) Adventure and Comic Packs became free as part of the Cryptic/ PWE integration.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

captainrevo1 11-16-2012 11:54 AM

if im paying this much for ships and lockboxes i would happily pay for some content, but i do love that the content is free and the fluff is not. i think thats the right way to do it.

thomas12255 11-16-2012 12:05 PM

The fact that all content is playable for free in STO is one of the reasons I recommend it to other people, it is the best F2P MMO around in this regard.

lewstelamon01 11-16-2012 12:07 PM

A big "hell to the no" to paid content updates. It's one of the things that turned me off to DCUO. I so wanted to play with a Green Lantern type character....but I'll be thrice damned before I pay for the privilege of playing the type of character I wanna play....