Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Tholian Annoyances (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=451621)

reginamala78 11-16-2012 03:36 PM

Tholian Annoyances

So now that the Romulan Rep stuff means pugging the same two space missions over and over again, got my first taste of the Tholians. They die adequately enough, but tend to be obnoxious along the way using abilities not listed in the wiki. Its like they're trying to annoy me into giving up. Curious if anyone who's gone through their logs could fill me in on a couple?

First is my weapons going offline all the time. Sometimes I get a big flashing OFFLINE indicator, other times no indicator but my weapons stop firing anyways. Yeah I know sci ships can do that (doesn't work nearly as well for me as for them though) and ET clears it, but that means screwing with my -Team cycling. So who do I need to kill first to make this annoyance go away, and what do I need to spec into to make this stop affecting me at all?

Second, sometimes my shields just get something-like-halved, all four facings all at once. Its not the Web, and its way too big to be a tetryon proc, so what is it, who's doing it, and what are the counters?

PS
Cryptic idea, ya know how nice it would be to be able to seperate out my log of 'what I do to them' and 'what they do to me' instead of bunching it all together as 'Combat (Self)'? Or being able to tell it to stop auto-scrolling during a mission so I can scroll back and see 'what the heck just hit me?'

hereticknight085 11-16-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginamala78 (Post 6638351)
So now that the Romulan Rep stuff means pugging the same two space missions over and over again, got my first taste of the Tholians. They die adequately enough, but tend to be obnoxious along the way using abilities not listed in the wiki. Its like they're trying to annoy me into giving up. Curious if anyone who's gone through their logs could fill me in on a couple?

First is my weapons going offline all the time. Sometimes I get a big flashing OFFLINE indicator, other times no indicator but my weapons stop firing anyways. Yeah I know sci ships can do that (doesn't work nearly as well for me as for them though) and ET clears it, but that means screwing with my -Team cycling. So who do I need to kill first to make this annoyance go away, and what do I need to spec into to make this stop affecting me at all?

All Tholian ships have subsystem targeting. All of them. And all of them use beam arrays. So if you have 8 or 9 ships using subsystem targeting, and all of them targeting different subsystems (upgraded AI), naturally your systems are going to be going offline like nuts. Also the second half of my answer comes in the next portion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginamala78 (Post 6638351)
Second, sometimes my shields just get something-like-halved, all four facings all at once. Its not the Web, and its way too big to be a tetryon proc, so what is it, who's doing it, and what are the counters?

It's a Tetryon proc. But it's so damn strong because you have so many ships hitting you with it. All Tholian ships are armed with Phased Tetryon Beam Arrays and most also have disruption torpedoes. They also use Thermionic Torpedoes. So naturally it's infuriating to battle them. The Phased Tetryon weapons also have the Phaser proc, which is another reason why your subsystems keep on going offline. And before you comment on why your stuff is never that effective, think about it this way: Imagine if you had a full team of 5 Oddy Sci cruisers running full Phased Tetryon beam arrays. Cuz that's only a tiny portion of what you're going up against. All those procs, and all that subsystem targeting, that's what you're fighting.

reginamala78 11-16-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hereticknight085 (Post 6638871)
It's a Tetryon proc. But it's so damn strong because you have so many ships hitting you with it. All Tholian ships are armed with Phased Tetryon Beam Arrays and most also have disruption torpedoes. They also use Thermionic Torpedoes. So naturally it's infuriating to battle them. The Phased Tetryon weapons also have the Phaser proc, which is another reason why your subsystems keep on going offline. And before you comment on why your stuff is never that effective, think about it this way: Imagine if you had a full team of 5 Oddy Sci cruisers running full Phased Tetryon beam arrays. Cuz that's only a tiny portion of what you're going up against. All those procs, and all that subsystem targeting, that's what you're fighting.

A 5,000-point x4 Tet proc? Cause its not a drain over a few seconds, its just 'bam, no shields for you' like a single big weapon hit. All I know is that I want one. Do Power Insulators help against this? (Only 3 in it currently, need to respec in the near future anyways)

And as to the weapon thing, I thought they were only packing regular tetryon BAs, not phased?

hereticknight085 11-16-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginamala78 (Post 6639011)
A 5,000-point x4 Tet proc? Cause its not a drain over a few seconds, its just 'bam, no shields for you' like a single big weapon hit. All I know is that I want one. Do Power Insulators help against this? (Only 3 in it currently, need to respec in the near future anyways)

And as to the weapon thing, I thought they were only packing regular tetryon BAs, not phased?

It's phased tetryon. It's well known that Tholians use that, hence why it was in the tholian lock box. As for your shields getting demolished, you were probably getting hit by the Tarantulas. Those things have very very strong weapons. And I think power insulators will help a little, but not to the extent you need to survive. It's better to have a cruiser buddy watching your back.

jellico1 11-16-2012 08:39 PM

With a buddy

Fly I'n to range 10 hit evasive right at them
Turn on tractor repulsers push them away from
The captured ship

Pop a gravity well on them or warp plasma

All power to shields just survive while your buddy is
Deactivating the tractor beams.he must have autofire turned off
And low weapon power setting.

When he's done the tholians leave

They use beam overload too...... It hurts. :)

hereticknight085 11-17-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellico1 (Post 6641941)
With a buddy

Fly I'n to range 10 hit evasive right at them
Turn on tractor repulsers push them away from
The captured ship

Pop a gravity well on them or warp plasma

All power to shields just survive while your buddy is
Deactivating the tractor beams.he must have autofire turned off
And low weapon power setting.

When he's done the tholians leave

They use beam overload too...... It hurts. :)

This is Tholian Red Alert, not that joke of a fleet action.

reginamala78 11-17-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hereticknight085 (Post 6644111)
This is Tholian Red Alert, not that joke of a fleet action.

Actually I was referring to the 'joke of a fleet action' in the Azure Nebula. Never said they were difficult, just obnoxious and in my way.

hereticknight085 11-17-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginamala78 (Post 6644441)
Actually I was referring to the 'joke of a fleet action' in the Azure Nebula. Never said they were difficult, just obnoxious and in my way.

OOOOoooh... ok now I feel stupid... Yeeeah sorry, can't agree, those jokes of Tholian ships in that fleet action are pitiful. The Tholian Red Alert ships however...

terransoldier238 11-17-2012 07:11 AM

Ok this is good info, but how can we hurt THEM?!

carl103 11-17-2012 07:35 AM

Actually whats probably knocking your weapons ofline is the thermonic torpedoes, they spam you with them, (i've never seen them use subsystem targeting btw), they each have a chance to drain 25 power from weapons and engines. The Detructible ones are a garunteed -75.

As for tet procs. the base is somwhere around 400 for us. Most NPC's get significant modifiers to weapons damage. 5K sounds like somthing a bit more, but still it would explain a lot.