Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   NO credit card and penalized for it... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=454141)

baneswraith77 11-18-2012 01:33 PM

NO credit card and penalized for it...

I recently asked about game cards being used to purchase memberships and I was told this goes against security. This in my eyes is a prime example of being condemned for not being well off enough to have a bank account or a credit card. I do not understand the big deal here other games allow game cards to be used on the whole spectrum of services, and personally I am inclined to boycott all purchases till this changes to be more friendly to all of the people that play online games.

phantomeight 11-18-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baneswraith77 (Post 6666841)
I recently asked about game cards being used to purchase memberships and I was told this goes against security. This in my eyes is a prime example of being condemned for not being well off enough to have a bank account or a credit card. I do not understand the big deal here other games allow game cards to be used on the whole spectrum of services, and personally I am inclined to boycott all purchases till this changes to be more friendly to all of the people that play online games.

Which game cards are you talking about, the zen cards or the game time cards? Most of the desirable features of a gold account can be obtained while remaining a silver account and buying the appropriate unlock with the zen card.

dalolorn 11-18-2012 01:54 PM

:confused:

:confused:

baneswraith77 11-18-2012 02:01 PM

Support said all game cards are not useable, I was intending on buying lifetime but looks like that's out the window.

nalo 11-18-2012 03:47 PM

Get a prepaid credit card problem solved

baneswraith77 11-18-2012 04:03 PM

ty I'll get to work on that asap

dwhornet 11-18-2012 05:01 PM

I tried using a prepaid credit card to buy Zen at one point didn't work. Basically when it checked it threw it back in my face.

Here is what worked.

Pay Pal green dot cards (but they want your Social security number)

Steam cards

If I was to buy anything more in this game it would go through steam. Why? Prepaid cards VISA/AMEX/Mastercards all have like a 5-6% charge associated with buying them. So a $200 card becomes $212 at check out. Furthermore the card I purchased didn't exactly like to work with their web system. Just save yourself the hassle goto a Game stop and buy a Steam card. Not sure if that works to get a LTS but under most circumstances the steam card is probably your best option.

dwhornet 11-18-2012 05:11 PM

I believe people had some success using the prepaid cards at walmart. At least that's what Mav said on Stoked.

rezking 11-18-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwhornet (Post 6669741)
I tried using a prepaid credit card to buy Zen at one point didn't work. Basically when it checked it threw it back in my face.

Here is what worked.

Pay Pal green dot cards (but they want your Social security number)

Steam cards

If I was to buy anything more in this game it would go through steam. Why? Prepaid cards VISA/AMEX/Mastercards all have like a 5-6% charge associated with buying them. So a $200 card becomes $212 at check out. Furthermore the card I purchased didn't exactly like to work with their web system. Just save yourself the hassle goto a Game stop and buy a Steam card. Not sure if that works to get a LTS but under most circumstances the steam card is probably your best option.

First I've heard of the problem.
I use nothing but pre-paid credit cards for games (security precaution).
I see the Perfect World game cards at the 7-11 but after your cash goes into one of those ALL your options for recovery are gone.

To each their own, I guess.

kbflordkrueg 11-18-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwhornet (Post 6669821)
I believe people had some success using the prepaid cards at walmart. At least that's what Mav said on Stoked.

this...
I use one of the Wal-mart money cards for all my online game stuff...I have for years.
No problems, no issues ever.
They do charge a fee to put money on it, but it's only 3 bucks.