Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Patience, Daniel-san!! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=454381)

darramouss1 11-18-2012 07:19 PM

Patience, Daniel-san!!

So many upset people because if dilithium in season 7. People saying that the game is now a grind, that starbases have stopped and that STO has become a second job.

My question is what's the rush?!

It seems that people are in a mad rush to do everything NOW! My question is why? Why not take time to look around, see the galaxy, explore somewhere you haven't before?

Do people have a set date past which they can't play, necessitating the need to unlock everything at breakneck speeds? Are people rushing to get things before other players? Must immediate gratification be the ultimate goal?

Firstly, if you set date past which you can't play past (terminal disease, moving to the South Pole, leaving Earth) then I can understand your rush and sympathise.

Secondly, if you're trying to beat other players then surely you must understand that they're in the same boat as you're in. In that case you're never going to beat someone who can spend more time or more money on the game. Same as before season 7.

When I was growing up I had to earn things by working and saving for what I wanted. If there were delays, such as me having other expenses or the price of what I wanted going up, I took it on the chin. My parents were proud of that mentality as they told me it displayed maturity.

Out of all the games I've ever seen where you needed to earn and unlock stuff, I've found STO to be the most generous. Regardless of whether the game was PC, Xbox or playstation, STO seemed to give stuff up faster. Now it seems that STO is following suit from all the other games I've seen.

How about instead of being angry at this change we show maturity and be thankful that we had it so good for so long? Remember, the new players coming after us won't ever have the chance to accumulate like we've had.

diogene0 11-18-2012 07:39 PM

That's adding fuel on the fire. Don't. The forums don't need that. People are frustrated because Cryptic want them to be frustrated so that they keep playing the game for some time: see why they complain, they want to achieve specific goals badly, and the more they say that's unfair the more they'll keep playing STO.

I'm glad you're not a blind hater but don't be a blind supporter either. Frustration is a part of their MMO buisness and some may not understand that they are psychologically manipulated by game designers and have very aggressive reactions. Season 7 doesn't reward hardcore players, it rewards patience and not efforts, no matter what, even if you do many efforts.

That's frustrating for some people because they're used to hear that if they work hard enough to get stuff they'll get it. No doubt it's just bad ethics, because it prompts you to slave over crappy stuff for more stupid, useless and ridiculous stuff, even and especially IRL, but that's what people are used to, and that's not how season 7 works.

momaw 11-18-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darramouss1 (Post 6670581)
My question is what's the rush?!

It seems that people are in a mad rush to do everything NOW!

Personally I don't want to have everything now; but I do want to be making progress now. I want to play and have that time count toward these uber-goals which promise all kinds of great things. But we don't get that. Our progress is metered through a time gate that says we can only do this much and then we're done. I have hundreds of surplus marks which are quite literally useless, because everything I might do with them is grinding along at a glacial pace.

Basically the frustration with the time aspect is that everybody is being artificially limited to a snail's pace for no good reason. I have resources, let me use them!

Quote:

Are people rushing to get things before other players?
And if they are? Who cares? If I have more disposable time than Joe Smith who only plays half an hour each Monday after dinner, what possible basis is there for slowing me down to his pace?

Quote:

When I was growing up I had to earn things by working and saving for what I wanted. If there were delays, such as me having other expenses or the price of what I wanted going up, I took it on the chin. My parents were proud of that mentality as they told me it displayed maturity.
Except the parallel here is that you're trying to save for something and you're only allowed to put in 1$ per week no matter how much work you actually did and how much money you actually earned. Shouldn't the kid mowing everybody's lawns for 30$ a week get to his goal faster than the kid who can only contribute loose change that he picked up off the sidewalk???

Quote:

Remember, the new players coming after us won't ever have the chance to accumulate like we've had.
Which is a disincentive to start new characters. Why would I want to start over with nothing, when I know that I am being deliberately and arbitrarily held back.

quickdraw74 11-18-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momaw (Post 6671041)

Which is a disincentive to start new characters. Why would I want to start over with nothing, when I know that I am being deliberately and arbitrarily held back.

My point exactly! The new players will have no very rare X or XI gear like we had. We did a few normal STFs and picked up a few rare salvages and even common borg Tech. Now with the way STFs are and the rep system it will take awhile. Unless the new players join a good fleet or grind EC to pay for VR X or XI gear off the exchange they will have no options other than wait their time.

And the way normal stfs are now they will need Very Rare X or XI to do them. I watched players die over and over the last few days, which before season 7 happened rarely.

jkstocbr 11-18-2012 08:25 PM

I don't think players generally want to rush, but be able to progress at a reasonable speed that reflects the amount of time and effort they put in. Timed content like Starbases and Reputation doesn't allow that. Players want to progress through the content to have it out of the way when the next Season comes out with more content.

bareel 11-18-2012 08:33 PM

Effort to get things does not bother me.

Artificial time-gates that have the potential to prevent me from doing what I want when I want do bother me.

What's next, they up the level cap to 60 but you must run a 'training' project at each level that takes a week so we don't hit the cap to fast? That is just flat out stupid.

On the other hand, if they wanted to help out casual players or dissuade players from grinding something out as fast as the can their are better ways. Like daily/weekly wrapper missions that provide a higher reward per time than the general method does.

jellico1 11-18-2012 08:36 PM

I am mk12 with optionals space
I am mk12 with optionals ground

Now I have to be gated thru the process
Again
And PAY for the pain

Why should I not be angry or feel resentment

darramouss1 11-18-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogene0 (Post 6670791)
That's adding fuel on the fire.

That's not my intent. If people perceive it that way then I apologise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momaw (Post 6671041)
And if they are? Who cares? If I have more disposable time than Joe Smith who only plays half an hour each Monday after dinner, what possible basis is there for slowing me down to his pace?

But Joe Smith has been slowed down as well. The only way he can achieve your pace is by playing the same or more hours than you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellico1 (Post 6671291)
I am mk12 with optionals space
I am mk12 with optionals ground

Now I have to be gated thru the process
Again
And PAY for the pain

Why should I not be angry or feel resentment

Why? Because until now you've had it better than any other game I can think of. STO has been far more generous than other games by giving you more goodies faster than you probably should have been given them.

Why can't you appreciate that fact and be happy that you had such a good run? Why maintain a sense of entitlement? Why should you have more than other MMO players?

For argument's sake, let's assume that season 7 actually benefits the game and leads to a stronger STO future. Would you still prefer season 7 to be dialled back just so you can gather more dilithium?

xantris 11-18-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickdraw74 (Post 6671171)
My point exactly! The new players will have no very rare X or XI gear like we had. We did a few normal STFs and picked up a few rare salvages and even common borg Tech. Now with the way STFs are and the rep system it will take awhile. Unless the new players join a good fleet or grind EC to pay for VR X or XI gear off the exchange they will have no options other than wait their time.

And the way normal stfs are now they will need Very Rare X or XI to do them. I watched players die over and over the last few days, which before season 7 happened rarely.

You can pick up purple XI weapons on the exchange for fairly cheap. Just buy a less used weapon energy type. You can also do missions for blue Mk XI weapons for no cost, and they're about 97% as effective. This is what the OP is talking about with the sense of entitlement. You don't need a full set of Mk XII antiproton weapons within 2 days of hitting 50, the difference isn't even that significant,

Normal STFs are still a complete joke that can be easily completed in green Mk X gear. I have no idea where this ridiculous exaggeration started.

piwright42 11-18-2012 11:42 PM

You know why I am frustrated? I have 14 toons and only time to play two since season 6 started. I am seriously considering deleting the vast majority of them. That makes me frustrated.

Not a whole lot has been added, in my opinion, but it is all gated so well that I do not foresee a time when any one of my toons is actually capped out.

I'm still playing catch up from season 6 and Season 8 will compound this.