Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Season 7 REP - Does it work or is it a game killer. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=456001)

tequilla56 11-20-2012 01:23 AM

Season 7 REP - Does it work or is it a game killer.

Ok so I have made my views on this clear elsewhere.

I think its a good idea, just too unbalanced.

But now.. to find what I hope is a glitch or a bug or whatever striking the system that I am curious as to if anyone else has encountered.

With all the pages and pages of talk about the rewards, prices time needed etc. Its hard to find anything on this matter.

In basics.. FINALLY get home today from work, happy that my 1 char that I actually can afford to devote time to building up in this area will FINALLY be at Tier 1... and so I can see the rewards for myself and start grinding and waiting to hit Tier 2...

Instead.. I find nothing. No store options, No unlock options, No rewards available (passive or otherwise) and most importantly NO new projects to start or even the same ones to re-invest in and re-start the 40 hour timer. There is purely nothing at all. except the chance to earn 5 more rep points by dropping in three more nural processors.

So hey gotta be a bug right... so I check my other char, and looksie... there are the projects still listed fine... and the ability to stack em up ready, but hey where did the option to stack the little guy in slot three go.

Nope. Nothing.

So allright, new content will always have bugs and issues and problems. Who knows, perhaps (in my dream world) they have actually LISTENED to the cries from the masses and are fixing it up as we speak... RFLMAO@THAT THOUGHT!!!!!!!

Nope instead, I am left with the simple reality. I have just blown 80 hours for NOTHING... not to mention all the EC spent on purchasing the Commod's to fill the tasks, or the hours spent grinding STF's to earn the marks...

What about the months and months and months of STF grinding to accumulate some nice gear, to amass mucho EDC's and Proto Salvage's to stockpile to one day cash in for Dilith should I ever need it, or to outfit alternate ships or whatever.

Nope.. all just a complete and utter waste of time...

Cryptic + STO was not too bad.. yes probs and bugs.. but I could live with it..

PWE + STO -- well the place has gone to total $h!T since the day they got involved, and what was once a mere nuisance knowing they just didnt care, has now switched to the penultimate #$*$ U to the masses... aka we screwed u good and u total idiots STILL give us your money in droves....

I like the game.. But I wont pay a single cent in future... PERIOD! Hopefully most others will be the same and then PWE MIGHT wake up and smell the bull$h!t burning on their front door.

daan2006 11-20-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tequilla56 (Post 6690271)
Cryptic + STO was not too bad.. yes probs and bugs.. but I could live with it..

PWE + STO -- well the place has gone to total $h!T since the day they got involved, and what was once a mere nuisance knowing they just didnt care, has now switched to the penultimate #$*$ U to the masses... aka we screwed u good and u total idiots STILL give us your money in droves....

I like the game.. But I wont pay a single cent in future... PERIOD! Hopefully most others will be the same and then PWE MIGHT wake up and smell the bull$h!t burning on their front door.

this 100% agree !!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lucianazeta 11-20-2012 02:13 AM

Replying solely to your topic title since the message just looks like a complaint to me rather then a question.

''Does it work or is it a game killer.''

I think repu system works and is a good idea, I play TERA as well and it works perfectly fine there, though differently.

The only major issue to me is project times, it completely kills any need to be on much, to new people it won't matter as everything is still new to them in STO, lots of shiny things to discover and keep them busy.

But for someone like me who has been playing since January, or god forbid someone who has been playing since release or betas, there are no more shiny things, once we fill our projects, we have nothing left to do and in my case, log off.

atomictiki 11-20-2012 04:59 AM

It doesn't work, for all the same reasons I HATE Zynga Facebook games (because all the rep system is, is a badly implemented Farmville).

The system "works" for starbases as you can pretend things are actually being "built," but for personal reputation the artificiality of the design is extremely obvious -- to the point that you feel as though the developers hate your guts and want to drive you from the game.

stark2k 11-20-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucianazeta (Post 6690651)

The only major issue to me is project times, it completely kills any need to be on much, to new people it won't matter as everything is still new to them in STO, lots of shiny things to discover and keep them busy.

But for someone like me who has been playing since January, or god forbid someone who has been playing since release or betas, there are no more shiny things, once we fill our projects, we have nothing left to do and in my case, log off.

Old long in the tooth here, I've been around since Beta and I can attest to what you just stated. There is nothing new under the sun, Vanity of Vanities, there is nothing new under the sun.

Rep system seems cool, but the delivery is godawful. This is very difficult for folks like me that have been around since STO inception, the changes are too severe for the liking.

For new players this is toy land for them, enjoy - but the novelty wears off after awhile.

A Pointer:

One thing that helps kill the monotony is a strong Fleet presence and their Chat antics - it is even better if the Fleet has vent ot Team Speak - The social aspect of this game is awesome, unfortunately; thats not part of the game but part of the population.

th3xr34p3r 11-20-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stark2k (Post 6692201)
Old long in the tooth here, I've been around since Beta and I can attest to what you just stated. There is nothing new under the sun, Vanity of Vanities, there is nothing new under the sun.

Rep system seems cool, but the delivery is godawful. This is very difficult for folks like me that have been around since STO inception, the changes are too severe for the liking.

For new players this is toy land for them, enjoy - but the novelty wears off after awhile.

A Pointer:

One thing that helps kill the monotony is a strong Fleet presence and their Chat antics - it is even better if the Fleet has vent ot Team Speak - The social aspect of this game is awesome, unfortunately; thats not part of the game but part of the population.

This is why I joined up with SSR when I did (not just to increase the selection of the JB at the time ;)) but to help everyone who tunes in to my shows get their mind off the grind aspect and have fun relaxing to the tunes whilst running their missions and getting what they need to get done with less frustration; esp doin 12 hours per week soon to be 18 for the holidays. :P

On the subject of the Rep system, the idea is fine, my only gripe for vets is the dilith cost and the time per major project. 1 day 15 hours is too long, it needs to be 20 hours max ala the daily mission timers since its a per toon and per account system and not a fleet wide system (unless said fleet is just your alts :rolleyes:).

thisisoverlord 11-20-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisoverlord (Post 6692151)
This is what people aren't getting when they say "the system is fine" or "we just need to reduce the time".

It's pretty much destroyed the community aspects of STFs and replaced it with isolation and asian style grind. I'm waiting to be allocated my own virtual office cubicle :(... did you get that memo about STF reports peter?

From one of the other threads.

markhawkman 11-20-2012 05:28 AM

Um.... "community" in STFs? Most STFs I was in prior to S7, the team never even TALKED! Sooo.... business as usual. I like that this gives people a new incentive to play Defera. Defera isn't bad but it was kinda boring before since the rewards were weak.

Oh, and Mine Trap rocks! Want quick rep for the romulan side? one run through of Min trap will usually net between 30 and 45 rep.

thisisoverlord 11-20-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhawkman (Post 6692451)
Um.... "community" in STFs? Most STFs I was in prior to S7, the team never even TALKED! Sooo.... business as usual. I like that this gives people a new incentive to play Defera. Defera isn't bad but it was kinda boring before since the rewards were weak.

Oh, and Mine Trap rocks! Want quick rep for the romulan side? one run through of Min trap will usually net between 30 and 45 rep.

Then you were already playing in isolation no doubt in pugs so your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Many of us played through the STF channels and found the content was fun because we had friends playing, had great conversations and helped one another. That has been destroyed.

So we've gone from mindless STF pugging with no interaction and a community of STF channels with a fun and enjoyable aspect to... all boring isolated grind content.

Please... all you ever do is come on here and spout the same old line about how great the game is for you. Well I'm not you and it seems there are more people in the chat channels and on the forum that are unhappy with the ramifications of these changes.

markhawkman 11-20-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisoverlord (Post 6692541)
Then you were already playing in isolation no doubt in pugs so your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Many of us played through the STF channels and found the content was fun because we had friends playing, had great conversations and helped one another. That has been destroyed.

So we've gone from mindless STF pugging with no interaction and a community of STF channels with a fun and enjoyable aspect to... all boring isolated grind content.

Please... all you ever do is come on here and spout the same old line about how great the game is for you. Well I'm not you and it seems there are more people in the chat channels and on the forum that are unhappy with the ramifications of these changes.

Dude... you're unhappy, I'm happy. Deal with it.

And yeah, I usually pugged. I suppose that changed things somewhat, but I often played with fleet mates too. They were usually kinda hurrying and only talked when they needed to. Fleet chat was always more social than anything in STFs. People in my fleet still get together to play STFs when they want to. Maybe not as often, but it's not like we simply stopped playing STFs...