Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Rep system: Maybe it should start EARLIER?? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=456441)

patrickngo 11-20-2012 12:01 PM

Rep system: Maybe it should start EARLIER??

Season 6, my science officer hits L45 about midway through it, by her 3rd STF she was rocking low-tier (mkX) borg-proc weapons in "Normal" STF play after one weekend. This fed a race of sorts to try and gather MORE borg-proc weapons as the Mk x and XI were more available from the Omega store, than anywhere else (at lower cost!)

Season 7, my new Engineer (first purchased character type-a Joined trill, and at the time there was an intent to eventually buy Ferasan) and I'm reluctant to take her into ANY STF's-she's gimped compared to her peers who made L45 before the changeover, and access to better tech is almost nonexistent in spite of qualifying for MkXI.

this is a problem-it's a disincentive to touch the more difficult/challenging material for new alts, even a disincentive to creating and SPENDING MONEY ON new alts, additional character slots, z-store races, you know, those things Cryptic sells us to make money and add variation.

The Rep system is GOING to stay-no amount of fan raging or icy condemnation is going to change this...but.

BUT...

maybe it should not be something gated for access at Level 50? Maybe the passives, at least, should be available-to-be-earned at, say, Level 30 or 40, so that when your new alt gets to where they're allowed to play at the big-people-table, they're not gimped for the first three months after they hit that magic place where they are allowed to use MkX gear and run STF missions?

the F2P model is based on getting new players in, getting them interested enough to buy things, (like character models, costumes, ships, lockbox keys, and Dilithium) and...KEEPING THEM INTERESTED ENOUGH TO BUY SUBSCRIPTIONS.

Gating to only L50 with a system that's clearly NOT pleased your top-end base is probably not the best move for a major change like this.

Just a thought...

weylandjuarez 11-20-2012 12:23 PM

Well, by the time you hit VA/LG you're looking for Mk XII, not Mk X - previously I was happy to re-run missions to get a functional set of Mk XI (including perhaps the Aegis set or the Borg set) but all that was required was time.

Now, you can still do that (minus the Borg set) but if your ultimate goal is a full Mk XII setup (something even I don't have since I won't do the absurd missions for Mk XII consoles nor pay the inflated Exchange prices) then why would you sink Dilithium into Mk X gear which is redundant even before you reach VA?

When I was levelling my KDF alts, I got one of them the Mk X Omega ground set purely for the remod and also because it didn't require a lot of Elite space STFs to acquire - I'll be damned if I'm paying the extortionate rep store prices for any (unlikely) future alts though.

The rep system should kick in around level 45 and allow you to put in a little extra effort or spend some of your accumulated resources in order to help you into the STFs and other end-game content. For existing VAs that haven't unlocked the Mk XII gear, all the Mk XI should be unlocked for them should they wish to buy it. For those that have full Mk XII sets, the rep system (for Omega at least) should just be a storefront.

patrickngo 11-20-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weylandjuarez (Post 6698551)
Well, by the time you hit VA/LG you're looking for Mk XII, not Mk X - previously I was happy to re-run missions to get a functional set of Mk XI (including perhaps the Aegis set or the Borg set) but all that was required was time.

Now, you can still do that (minus the Borg set) but if your ultimate goal is a full Mk XII setup (something even I don't have since I won't do the absurd missions for Mk XII consoles nor pay the inflated Exchange prices) then why would you sink Dilithium into Mk X gear which is redundant even before you reach VA?

When I was levelling my KDF alts, I got one of them the Mk X Omega ground set purely for the remod and also because it didn't require a lot of Elite space STFs to acquire - I'll be damned if I'm paying the extortionate rep store prices for any (unlikely) future alts though.

The rep system should kick in around level 45 and allow you to put in a little extra effort or spend some of your accumulated resources in order to help you into the STFs and other end-game content. For existing VAs that haven't unlocked the Mk XII gear, all the Mk XI should be unlocked for them should they wish to buy it. For those that have full Mk XII sets, the rep system (for Omega at least) should just be a storefront.

My original thought was that it should start around level 30 for the reasons you just outlined-MkX is first available at Level 40, and by 45 it's already outdone by XI, and utterly obselete by 50 (unless you're arming your Bridge officers).

otoh, unlocking the passives earlier gives players a chance to learn and understand their function and limitations, and unlocking the MkX borg gear and sets at 40 instead of 50 puts level-appropriate gear presumably in level-appropriate hands, and would thus make the time-gating iinherent to the system, much, much, more sensible.

As to Dilithium costs? well...that's the model they're going to insist on using. It WOULD be nice if, since the Omega and Romulan stores are so heavily gated, the gear itself was priced more in line with the standard Dilithium store, instead of running over ten grand a pop.

bandit2338 11-20-2012 01:43 PM

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=454701

!!!!!! perfect way