Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Subspace Snare & Enhanced Tactical Systems (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=461621)

canis36 11-24-2012 01:00 AM

Subspace Snare & Enhanced Tactical Systems

I already have the Bortasqu' War Cruiser and before the end of the sale Sunday I'm probably going to pick up the Bortasqu' Tactical Cruiser, but before I make my final decision on what ships to buy and what not to buy I'd like to know something about the Subspace Snare on the Bortasqu Command Cruiser.

Is it fun? And, as an extension of that, what can it be used on? If I want to use it to drop the Tactical Cube from the end of Infected Space right in front of me, can I? Or can I not?

Secondly, if I should decide to feed the machine and get both versions would Enhanced Tactical Systems be worth using? Would it enhance the fun of using the Bortasqu's special abilities?

Also, it is important to note that I am asking from and for a PvE perspective.

trek21 11-24-2012 08:14 AM

For STF's, I know little about this impact on it, but I think others will.

The Subspace Snare... It has a range of 7.5 KM, so you already need to be in battle with your intended target for it to work. Then activate and wait two secs, then boom = Borg Sphere with disabled engines 4KM in front of you (Subspace Decomplier increases that duration a bit) ;)

As for the Enhanced Tactical Systems, you have +12 to Projectile damage, your Accuracy stat and your energy weapon critical hit chance + severity. This translates to an extra 3 red bars to those skills... in addition to a +0.5 turn rate, which will help; and a 25% reduction on the cooldowns of the Bortasqu' consoles (translates to 4 mins from 5 for the Snare and BOP, and 2 mins 24 secs from 3 mins for the Autocannon, at least last time I looked at the stats).

Is it worth using? I personally think so, as I'm using the Bortasqu' set myself and loving it (though I prefer the Command cruiser; thank you sale). Getting all three would allow you to use those abilities more often, which definitely sounds like fun :D But it's up to you

mimey2 11-24-2012 10:41 AM

Actually, I own the set, and the Subspace Snare does not work on all enemies. Mostly the biggest ones: Cubes, tac Cubes, Unimatrix ships, and possibly the Borg Queen. It'll work on anything else I know of though.

Treat the Subspace Snare like Saucer Seperation in a way, use it to counter the Bortas' slow turn rate by bringing an enemy right in front of you to fire at.

Snare does have a global cooldown with Subspace Jump, so beware. That said, Jump can also be extremely useful for the same reason.

The bonus I consider better than the Odyssey set bonus, because the defensive bonuses on the Ody don't make a huge amount of difference, but the Acc and crit bonuses can be much more useful in the long run IMO.

The Hoh'Sus isn't bad, it'll used Subspace Jump as well (though this usually means it'll be attacking an enemy with a shield facing up), along with CRP, THY, etc. Squishy, but it has it's nice bit of DPS.

The Autocannon is the real gem of the set though. That thing HURTS. In PvE, against large, slow or stationary targets.

trek21 11-24-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimey2 (Post 6770201)
The Autocannon is the real gem of the set though. That thing HURTS. In PvE, against large, slow or stationary targets.

And unlike the Disruptor Lotus, fires more times, and doesn't drain your weapon power :D

Shame the Snare doesn't work on the biggest enemies though... but has that been proven?

mimey2 11-24-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trek21 (Post 6770231)
And unlike the Disruptor Lotus, fires more times, and doesn't drain your weapon power :D

Shame the Snare doesn't work on the biggest enemies though... but has that been proven?

Yup, not to mention up to 5 potential Disruptor consoles backing it.

Yes though, I have personally tested it, and it doesn't work...

In a matter of speaking.

It works in that it will teleport a cube, tac cube, or unimatrix ship, they'll vanish, then reappear, but they don't actually move.

I don't know about the Borg Queen yet, with private queues out still, I haven't had much of a chance to try it out.

It does work on other larger ships though, like Donatra. I don't bother using it on the Borgified Vo'quv in Cure space though.

Most of the time, I use Snare to...'borrow a cup of Borg Sphere'. Can be useful to prevent a sphere or probe from getting to their goal.

trek21 11-24-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimey2 (Post 6770431)
Yup, not to mention up to 5 potential Disruptor consoles backing it.

Yes though, I have personally tested it, and it doesn't work...

In a matter of speaking.

It works in that it will teleport a cube, tac cube, or unimatrix ship, they'll vanish, then reappear, but they don't actually move.

I don't know about the Borg Queen yet, with private queues out still, I haven't had much of a chance to try it out.

It does work on other larger ships though, like Donatra. I don't bother using it on the Borgified Vo'quv in Cure space though.

Most of the time, I use Snare to...'borrow a cup of Borg Sphere'. Can be useful to prevent a sphere or probe from getting to their goal.

Hmm... that's either a bug, or it might be intentional (the possible line of thinking being that ships that big would take too much energy to Snare).

Will need to do some research on that aspect.

baelogventure 11-24-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trek21 (Post 6770231)

I own the Bortas pack, and you cannot snare Cubes/Structures/Huge Ships at all. The console will activate but fail, like trying to use the Tholian Web on a Cube. Basically anything you can't push with Repulsors you cannot Snare

That being said the snare is rather fun as it can be used 360 degrees around your ship to pull targets into your forward battery and kept there with a tractor beam should you see fit.

mustafatennick 11-24-2012 03:54 PM

man

this ship sound so fun and powerful with the toys, i play more towards fun than maximum dps

Is it worth it especially with the pack 1000z off?

I used the oddy but it sucks tbh is the bortasqu better? im used to flying vo'quv and karfi so turn rate isnt an issue i dont think any opinions before the sale ends?

benj2293 11-25-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis36 (Post 6766411)

Is it fun? And, as an extension of that, what can it be used on? If I want to use it to drop the Tactical Cube from the end of Infected Space right in front of me, can I? Or can I not?

Secondly, if I should decide to feed the machine and get both versions would Enhanced Tactical Systems be worth using? Would it enhance the fun of using the Bortasqu's special abilities?

Also, it is important to note that I am asking from and for a PvE perspective.

I have been using the Bortasqu' tactical Cruiser on my Tactical for about 4 weeks now, with the full set, and to answer your first question: Yes, it is fun, once you get used to the turn rate, it can put out immense dps if you set it up right. My PvE and PvP builds for it are identical and use the ever-feared Dual Heavy Cannons (seems ridiculous, 5.5 degree base turn rate and DHCs but it works). If you can imagine stacking all buffs, appearing 5 km behind an enemy (Computer generated or player) begin firing a barrage of cannons while they're held in a tractor beam and then following it up with a disruptor autocannon barrage if it's not dead, then it's one hell of a tank. I average 8k in dps without buffs, and in an average alpha strike can deal 50-60k in damage. Though i wouldn't recommend it for a Sci, but an Eng does ok in it, not very tanky though.
Hope this helps

baelogventure 11-25-2012 09:53 AM

When I (Tactical Captain) flew my Bortasqu' in PvE and STFs, I also used it with DHCs although I did not have the Subspace Jump, I used it much like a siege weapon, focusing on slow moving/stationary targets and hammering them into dust while doing what I could to maximize damage, then movement when it came time to swap targets.

Now I use a Fleet Tor'Kaht, amazing ship, but I often swap back to the Bortasqu' for fun.