Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   The Elder Scrolls Online...Wow killer or the next big disappointment? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=465651)

hawkwing43 11-28-2012 04:49 AM

The Elder Scrolls Online...Wow killer or the next big disappointment?

I play Sryrim when I am not in STO zooming around the galaxy. This new version of the Elder Scrolls is due out next year I think. But do you guys think it has the power to be a WoW killer? So many have come so close, but is this finally the one?

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/media/videos/411

rachelj88 11-28-2012 06:33 AM

I'm a long time Elder Scrolls fan. for me The Elder Scrolls Online "by the looks of things" is going to most definately be a superb MMO, without a doubt.

BUT! I do have my doubts unfortunately... I was really enthusiastic about STO, equally to how I'm currently enthusiastic about TESO, I wouldn't say STO let me down, I just expected more, I love the character customisation, totaly engrossed in the tailor.

Anyway The Elder Scrolls Online will hopefully be something new and will hopefully be the MMO I've been waiting for since SWG closing. STO has been a good little adventure but mearly a stepping stone.

As for The Elder Scrolls Online, I have alot of faith that it will be "EPIC" Bethesda don't do games by half but I'm not sure about Zenimax, Bethesda are working closely with them soo I can only hope that Bethesda are happy with the direction Zenimax are taking. if Bethesda are happy with Zenimax... I'm happy with Zenimax.

truely looking forward to The Elder Scrolls Online.

RachelJ88

captainrevo1 11-28-2012 06:41 AM

wow was a one off phenomenon that came around at the right time and made its mark. no game is going to do what wow did now as the market is too flooded and nothing stands out. it would take something totally different to match what it did.

elder scrolls, if made right and does not plain suck, will be a hit and im sure will have lots of fans, and lots of haters and everywhere in-between. it wont topple wow, or reach the same heights and its success or failure should not be measured against wow.

rachelj88 11-28-2012 07:00 AM

Captainrevo1 I can agree that it shouldn't be measured against WoW, WoW was definately a right moment release. although I do feel that The Elder Scrolls will most definately be something unique.

I watched this video a while back I hope you all enjoy :)
The Elder Scrolls Online

RachelJ88

hevach 11-28-2012 07:00 AM

Personally, I think it'll prove a disappointment. It's not being made by Bethesda, their writers aren't directly involved, and all the combat and advancement systems are entirely new, and being compared to a hybrid **** and WoW. Which could go either way, Elderscrolls fans have been as historically famous for resisting change to these systems as they are for changing it themselves once its released.

As for the people behind it, most of them are from studios Zenimax cannibalized after their mostly terrible run with the Star Trek license, except for one guy who worked as a producer on **** as is probably best remembered for saying the game only really did one thing right... and everyone else in the business seemed to think that was the one thing that held it back (i.e. it's ties to the bad old days of MOO/MUD style MMOs).

All the player reaction is pointing to people expecting Skyrim Online, but all the developer information is pointing to generic fantasy MMO in an ostensibly Elderscrolls setting with possibly unreasonable grind and penalty if the guy in charge hasn't learned better yet. Any time players are expecting something the developer has gone out of its way to say they're not selling, disappointment is pretty sure to follow.

Edit: Ok, apparently the abbreviation of Dark Age of Camelot is censored, turning my post into a hilarious mess of unintended profanity.

hortwort 11-28-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevach (Post 6825571)
Edit: Ok, apparently the abbreviation of Dark Age of Camelot is censored, turning my post into a hilarious mess of unintended profanity.

I like bleeping out random words in speeches, too. It makes everything more interesting. :D

darkjeff 11-28-2012 07:39 AM

Bethesda is all about giant sandboxes of content, not particularly brilliant game mechanics. Also for being horribly buggy.

If Zenimax Online Studios can provide good coding and mechanics in a world with Bethesda-level details, it could be good.

stoleviathan99 11-28-2012 08:28 AM

I personally think it looks too much like Neverwinter and those games will be in a deathmatch.

Elder Scrolls - Points for intelligent instance matching and what appear to be very large zones without loadscreens. Has a Mac port.

Neverwinter - Equal to ESO in every regard that's been leaked, aside from instance matching and zone size. Has the Foundry. Doesn't appear to have a Mac port.

WoW isn't going anywhere either way (aside from F2P, which I expect will get announced at the next BlizzCon).

I think the biggest tipping point for ESO is the Mac port. Yes, that's 10% of the gaming market but if I have 10 friends and 1 doesn't use Bootcamp and owns a Mac, I'm going where we can all play together.

darimund 11-28-2012 08:30 AM

oh psh, wow killer... wow doesn't need a killer, blizz can just keep releasing retarded expansions and it'll do a good enough job of that on its own. Whats next, fluffy bunny land from outer space invades?

centersolace 11-28-2012 08:41 AM

I look forward to getting killed by ricocheting skulls. :D