Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Borg Season - Ground Combat (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=466581)

v1ctor1st 11-29-2012 12:54 AM

Borg Season - Ground Combat
 
Anyone got any hints on taking out the borg during combat missions? I just finished the Cardassian season run and got dropped into the Borg season.

I can take out their ships easilly but when i try ground missions it's become too much of a slog, i'm getting fed up having to respawn over and over again during the same mission.

thexq 11-29-2012 02:33 AM

1. Make sure you and everyone in your ground crew has remodulators equipped (you can get one from your replicator). When you see green "adapted" text hovering above the borg you must remodulate. Otherwise you won't do any real damage against them.

2. Give your crew pulsewave rifles. As far as I know the borg adapt per hit basis so it takes them a bit longer to adapt single shot weapons than burst weapons.

3. To make ground combat in general more enjoyable train all your ground science officers with the following skills: medical tricorder I, medical tricorder II, vascular regenerator, nanite health monitor. This way your sci officer(s) will keep you alive in most situations. You can train bridge officers on earth space dock, the trainer is next to the officer you got your levelling reward bridge officers. Remember also to put skill points to the bridge officer's skills.

4. Not that critical, but try also train your tactical bridge officers in supressing fire I & supressing fire II (both) and give them full auto rifles for non-borg missions. This skill will nerf the enemy's damage and speed when your boffs use it.

At least for me, this made ground missions much more enjoyable :)

danielpenfold 11-29-2012 03:28 AM

But you can play it the way, you want as well :D

tlamstrike 11-29-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thexq (Post 6839651)
2. Give your crew pulsewave rifles. As far as I know the borg adapt per hit basis so it takes them a bit longer to adapt single shot weapons than burst weapons.

They adapt on an amount of damage dealt basis. PW weapons deal lots of damage and will have to be remodulated after every secondary shot or a few shots from the primary but most of that damage will be dealt to your immediate target and will likely kill them making it very useful. The spraying weapons (mini-gun and full auto rifle secondary fires) spread out the damage on everything damaging a lot of Borg a little before they adapt.

v1ctor1st 11-29-2012 09:44 AM

Thanks for the replys folks!

Already using pulsewave just for the knockback effect...i think all of my team have various pulsewave rifles, one plasma, one disruptor etc. I have a polaron minigun equiped as well.

I aint trained my science officers though, infact ive never trained them on ground missions, just let them do what they came with, i'll retrain them for the borg stuff though, make life a bit easier.

dalolorn 11-29-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlamstrike (Post 6842341)
They adapt on an amount of damage dealt basis. PW weapons deal lots of damage and will have to be remodulated after every secondary shot or a few shots from the primary but most of that damage will be dealt to your immediate target and will likely kill them making it very useful. The spraying weapons (mini-gun and full auto rifle secondary fires) spread out the damage on everything damaging a lot of Borg a little before they adapt.

Wrong. Dual pulsewaves are the best weapon layout when fighting Borg in most situations. Some situations, however, require a sniper rifle as well.

sollvax 11-29-2012 10:36 AM

Swords
Basically Borg are gun resistant but not blade in the face resistant.

Also Shouting "Assimilate this" may help with your missions

mandoknight89 11-29-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalolorn (Post 6845161)
Some situations, however, require a sniper rifle as well.

Sniper Rifles deal decent damage even without the snipe shot (though that's where it really helps, particularly if you have ways to Expose the target), and don't have the issue where they need to be close to the enemy to work properly. Pulsewaves also get adapted to faster in a group: each enemy in the blast has a chance to set off the adaptation triggers rather than just the one you're aiming at. However, usually it's only the difference of a shot or two.

From experience they still adapt on a per-hit basis.

Note that there are a few other tricks that help with fighting Borg: anything explosive bypasses shields partially, and usually deals damage types that don't trigger Adaptation (or fire slowly enough that they never do so). Orbital Strike (if you're an Engineer) doesn't seem to work off of your personal adaptation, so feel free to use it if they adapt to a Phaser (or Disruptor, for KDF) weapon. Equipment Diagnostics (an Engineer kit/Boff power, also occasionally used by Support Drones) also cleanses adaptation and doesn't have the 4 second warmup, so it's better in a firefight than the remodulator items. It does have a cooldown, though, so you still should carry a remodulator.

majortiraomega 11-29-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1ctor1st (Post 6838911)
Anyone got any hints on taking out the borg during combat missions? I just finished the Cardassian season run and got dropped into the Borg season.

I can take out their ships easilly but when i try ground missions it's become too much of a slog, i'm getting fed up having to respawn over and over again during the same mission.

I made a detailed post about gear layout in this post in another thread. Now, I am betting you haven't played any special task force missions to get marks for Omega Reputation system advancement. (And thus you don't have the MACO Anti-borg set) A good alternative to the MACO set is the Jem'Hadar 2pc set (Shield/Armor) you obtained from the cardassian missions. Or, given that the borg use plasma weapons, pick up a shield with a [Pla] modifier to reduce plasma damage by 20% and energy dampening armor/polyalloy armor with a [Pla] modifier. For bridge officers I would suggest having two tactical officers, one science officer, and one engineering officer. Equip one Tactical officer with Battle Strategies I, Suppression Fire I, Photon Grenade III, and Target Optics III. For the other Tactical officer equip Battle Strategies I, Photon Grenade II, Target Optics II, and Overwatch II. Your Science officer should be running Medical Tricorder I, Medical Tricorder II, Vascular Regenerator II, and Nanite Health Honitor I. Your engineer should be running Mine Barrier I, Shield Recharge II, Weapons Malfunction III, and Reroute Power to Shields III. The setup focuses on keeping your team alive for the longest amount of time. The Science/Engineer will focus on healing the away team while the tacticals will primarily deal the damage. I would suggest equipping two boffs with pulsewaves, one with a sniper rifle, and one with a split beam rifle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalolorn (Post 6845161)
Wrong. Dual pulsewaves are the best weapon layout when fighting Borg in most situations. Some situations, however, require a sniper rifle as well.

Having one pulsewave is nice, but two forces you to get within point blank range of a drone. It really isn't wise to do that to borg mobs when you have bridge officers...the borg love to use sweeping bolt strike when there are two or more enemies right in front of them. And if you happen to have a 3 piece STF anti-borg set, the 3pc instant remodulator far outweighs carrying a second pulsewave weapon.

dalolorn 11-29-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortiraomega (Post 6846781)
I made a detailed post about gear layout in this post in another thread. Now, I am betting you haven't played any special task force missions to get marks for Omega Reputation system advancement. (And thus you don't have the MACO Anti-borg set) A good alternative to the MACO set is the Jem'Hadar 2pc set (Shield/Armor) you obtained from the cardassian missions. Or, given that the borg use plasma weapons, pick up a shield with a [Pla] modifier to reduce plasma damage by 20% and energy dampening armor/polyalloy armor with a [Pla] modifier. For bridge officers I would suggest having two tactical officers, one science officer, and one engineering officer. Equip one Tactical officer with Battle Strategies I, Suppression Fire I, Photon Grenade III, and Target Optics III. For the other Tactical officer equip Battle Strategies I, Photon Grenade II, Target Optics II, and Overwatch II. Your Science officer should be running Medical Tricorder I, Medical Tricorder II, Vascular Regenerator II, and Nanite Health Honitor I. Your engineer should be running Mine Barrier I, Shield Recharge II, Weapons Malfunction III, and Reroute Power to Shields III. The setup focuses on keeping your team alive for the longest amount of time. The Science/Engineer will focus on healing the away team while the tacticals will primarily deal the damage. I would suggest equipping two boffs with pulsewaves, one with a sniper rifle, and one with a split beam rifle.



Having one pulsewave is nice, but two forces you to get within point blank range of a drone. It really isn't wise to do that to borg mobs when you have bridge officers...the borg love to use sweeping bolt strike when there are two or more enemies right in front of them. And if you happen to have a 3 piece STF anti-borg set, the 3pc instant remodulator far outweighs carrying a second pulsewave weapon.

1. In endgame, the only place where a good player can't afford to go close to Borg drones is Infected. Everywhere else, however...

2. There are endgame sets that let you have the 3pc remodulator AND two pulsewaves. :P


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 PM.