Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   KDF Hanger Pets, BoP and Tachyon Drones (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=471741)

serevn 12-03-2012 02:41 AM

KDF Hanger Pets, BoP and Tachyon Drones

This is yet another plea for BoP and Tachyon drones to get a buff, I don't know about others but i hardly see anyone using carriers much on the kdf side. The BoP pets current "circle the enemy using only the turret" AI is a source of much raging and a major turn off from the Vo'Quv carrier, i know you have better AIs in the game, evidence in the Bortasqu's HoH'SuS BoP pet which is awesome.

I think I heard somewhere its a balance issue but in both pvp and pve they don't do nearly enough with their circling, evidence in the fact that no one hardly uses them except to mess around or don't know what their doing. The fact is that their simply unreliable especially in STFs where they just circle the slow moving targets doing next to nothing,might as well use fighters cause you can count on them to spam torps.

In pvp they are also useless, same circling story on slow moving targets, on fast moving targets they just plain miss everything in addition to obviously going to pains to maintain circling. (when they approach from 10k out in a direction to maintain circling it makes you want to tear your hair out)

Sure they could have alot of burst dps potential but you rarely ever see it and never when you want to. And Vo'Quvs are not like Kar'Fi Battle Carriers they lack the turn rate and slots to be effective on their own.

Now for the Tachyon Drones, they got nerfed to oblivion a while ago, after I had already payed to get them... with RL money. Now I have not seen anyone use these in pve or pvp in months This should be an OBVIOUS indicator that they are horrible. you have to fill your science slots with flow capacitors along with specing into it to make them even relatively useful against targets that have very low or no resists, against anything with resists or even normal tanking capacity they are useless against. Not to mention they attract aggro instantly like they did before they got nerfed and in pvp even the advanced version gets nuked instantly considering you can only have 4 max at a time with both hanger slots being used and one of the longer cooldowns for hanger pets.

I've been seeing less and less carriers in this game, even the feds who were kill happy about getting carriers (and eliminating one of the reasons to go KDF) have started to stop using them and they even have a tactical carrier.
All I'm asking is that the devs take a serious look into them, preferably giving the hanger BoPs the HuH'SuS AI and tachyon drones a buff. With the nerf to Siphon drones the KDF could use a buff for the obviously broken hanger pets.
Devs have probably not felt much pressure to look into these thing cause
#1 kdf are a minority
#2 The "if it suck they can use something else" excuse
#3 its nothing game breaking cause they could use something else

But suffice to say "good" players don't use carriers seriously, and for good reason.

harrymonkley 12-03-2012 03:15 AM

Maybe you need to revise your build/tactics?

I'm using the Vo'Quv with advanced BOPs, and I wouldn't describe it as a weak setup, quite the opposite in fact, but it did take me some time to master.

The carrier commands are key to using the BOPs IMHO, recall to force them to disengage and cloak and then setting them on an attack run works well, and lauching fresh ones every time the cooldown is finished means the fresh pets have torp high yield 2 ready to go.

dova25 12-03-2012 03:40 AM

I havent bought advanced Bops due to the tachyon drones nerfing (wich i bought them before nerfing )
I have the vo'quv in shipyard and sometimes i do take it for a spin just for fun but dont use tachyons any more.Before nerfing i used in STF and PVP and it was fun and efficient.
I am afraid to buy advanced Bops (or anything advanced pet for kdf side) because you never know when/if they will get nerfed too.

serevn 12-03-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrymonkley (Post 6904711)

I'm using the Vo'Quv with advanced BOPs, and I wouldn't describe it as a weak setup, quite the opposite in fact, but it did take me some time to master.

The carrier commands are key to using the BOPs IMHO, recall to force them to disengage and cloak and then setting them on an attack run works well, and lauching fresh ones every time the cooldown is finished means the fresh pets have torp high yield 2 ready to go.

Yes they have good burst dps potentail as I said, if you can prepare them, but even if you recall and send them on attack runs they still try to circle, and it shouldn't be that hard to do, they should automatically try to straff them with cannons and torps like the HuH'SuS AI. its also impossible to do in pvp unless their sitting still and oblivious to their surroundings.

BoP pets are "ok" in pve if you know how to set them up, they still don't do much in elite STFs though. In pvp they suck, anything can outmaneuver a Vo'Quv and you have to many other things to worry about like maneuvering so they can't nuke a single side of shielding and your tanking buffs. They can have their moment where the stars align and they let loose with their torpedoes all at once but against a decent pvp player even this wont have an effect, either shields are up or the torps miss.

mustafatennick 12-03-2012 05:37 AM

erm no

i have to strongly disagree with you

I have the karfi and the voquv and my voquv out damages my karfi

just like every ship in the game the more you master it the better it becomes with micro management of the brothls i can easily crit anything up to 30k a torp with HYT 2 but you must micro manage them or yes they will just use turrets i bet you any amount of real life money that a well timed strike on a tactical cube will be a one shot job using targetshields3 then release bops bang gone then recall them and do the same on the generators you can make easy work of any stf dont know about pvp never really played much

I also disagree about people not using carriers i played 9 stf's yesterday there was a carrier plus my carrier in every one and in one there was 4 carriers

you say that you shouldnt have to micro manage them thats like saying that boff abilitys should auto cast depending when needed...not going to happen

practice is the key dont knock it until youve tryed to master it

errab 12-03-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrymonkley (Post 6904711)

I have to agree with this post.

I have not used my VO'Quv in quite some time; however, when I was actively playing, my VO'Quv was quite the force to be reckoned with.

The Carriers Hanger craft have not been set it and forget it extra damage for quite some time now.

I made sure that my VO'Quv had the right attacks and consoles to help get the most Damage out of my Advanced Bird of Prey that I possibly could.

My Carrier uses skills like:

Target Subsystems Shields 3 (The skill weakens and strips away shield facings for my ABOP)

Attack Pattern Beta 1 (Lowers the targets resistance to my Birds and Carriers Energy Weapons)

Gravity Well 3 (Slows and holds and damages multiple targets and helps my Birds Attack Runs)

Tyken?s Rift 1 (Used Right after GW3, Drains power from clustered targets making them softer)

I use the Isometric Charge console to blast my clustered targets for extra damage.

Plasmonic Leech console for extra power drain

Subspace Jump console for quick escapes or to position for attacks and hanger deployment.

Ultimately you cannot look at your hanger craft has independent support and must see them has extensions of your carrier.

Using Doffs my Carrier can heal for over 10k every 15 seconds, deploy a wave of ABOP every 15 seconds.

I can't speak much for Tachyon Drones because I stopped using them after we got the ABOP.

Tachyon Drones were great back in the day for shutting down Elite Tactical Cubes but it became easier just to destroy them outright.

Carriers are not instant wins or easy outs, it takes a lot of effort to turn them into the beasts that they can be.