Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   complete list of pay to win consoles and why. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=474731)

maicake716 12-05-2012 04:06 PM

complete list of pay to win consoles and why.

oh guys, i want to get together a list of all the "pay to win consoles" and why people think they are or are not considered to be as such. this list will at first only conver the "universal" consoles and not consoles that are restricted to only one or 2 ships (ie fed cloak, vesta consoels, etc etc) itn will not also cover item set powers, such as the lobi store items or the reputation items.

oberth power console- gives power to subsystems, shares a cooldown with batteries
pro-
con-
op reason-

nx class grappler- very light tractor beam in effect, shares cooldown with tractor beams
pro-
con-
op reason-

automated defense turret- not to be confused with the point defense turret, this turret is the one that auto fires a single shot every few seconds at incoming torps/mines/anything in its small range.
pro-
con-
op reason-

red matter capacitor- gives a power bonus to all subsystems, is supposed to fix those subsystems as well. shares cooldowns with batteries
pro-
con-
op reason-

radiometric converter- gives +10 power to all subsytems for 12 seconds when shot. 5% chance. time stacks, power bonus does not.
pro-
con-
op reason-

antimatter spread- causes confuse and blinds targets. aoe.
pro-
con-
op reason-

vent theta radiation- drains shields, kills crew, aoe.
pro-
con-
op reason-

grav pulse- causes an aoe cone slowdown, if hit by it also has a chance to disable engines.
pro-
con-
op reason-

iso metric charge- is a "chain lightning" ability, hits up to 4 targets and causes more damage to each target it hits.
pro-
con-
op reason-

point defense turret- fires at everything within range of the user for a short time. does more damage to smaller classed targets.
pro-
con-
op reason-

ionized gas sensor- the "anti cloak" torpedo modifier.
pro-
con-
op reason-

universal transwarp computer- gives a bonus to power settings and a cooldown to transwarping.
pro-
con-
op reason-

photonic displacer- creates a replica of your ship and you "cloak" to escape.
pro-
con-
op reason-

tachyon detection field- gives a small bonus to starship sensors,then when activated gives an additonal small bonus to starship sensors.
pro-
con-
op reason-

shockwave torpedo- turns photon torpedos into photonic shockwaves.
pro-
con-
op reason-

impulse capacitance cell- makes you go very fast in a straight line.
pro-
con-
op reason-

subspace jump console- on use, puts you behind your target 3km or so away.
pro-
con-
op reason-

aceton assimilator console- drains power of nearby targets, also causes radiation damage. can only be destroyed via kentic weapons.
pro-
con-
op reason-

plasmionic leach- drains power of the target you shoot and gives you power.
pro-
con-
op reason-

magnetometric generator- does a push and disable to the target.
pro-
con-
op reason-

barrier field generator console- creats a giant barrier in space.
pro-
con-
op reason-

bio neural warhead- heavy explosive torp with shields and a small weapon that fires on its way to the target.
pro-
con-
op reason-

i think i have all the major consoles (non ship specific ones).

so now, what are their pros/cons/and reasons theyre considered to be "over powered"

keep in mind, ill update this when i can.

shookyang 12-05-2012 04:19 PM

Based on what I have used in PvE or PvP:

Vent Theta Radiation:
pros - holds enemies, destroys target-able weapons (ie mines and heavy torpedoes)
cons - can cause lag
op reason - can cause lag

Bio-Neural Warhead:
pros - has shields and Antiproton turret
cons - lacks the disable ability that a regular Tricobalt has
op reason - has shields and Antiproton turret?

Red Matter Capacitor:
pros - gives power to all subsystems, is not consumed-on-use, can restore disable systems
cons - only gives +25 to each subsystem
op reason - it is not consumed-on-use and only people who have gotten the Special Edition of the game could have it.

Anti-Matter Spread:
pros - causes placate and confuse to all enemies in a 5km radius
cons - placate is short and confuse is relatively short
op reason - can be chained after the immunity cooldown ends

Aceton Assimilator:
pros - drains, does constant radiation damage (which kills all target-able items like mines and heavy torpedoes), and can do a reactive radiation damage if hit with energy weapons, has a high HP
cons - drain is weak and can be resisted 100% with 6 points in Power Insulators
op reason - can only really be damaged with projectiles and hard to kill

Subspace Jumper:
pros - can stay on your target's aft if they try to out maneuver you
cons - auto-decloaks you, requiring you to buff before you attack, reducing your alpha strike time
op reason - when you finally get your target in your fore, they can instantly jump behind you again

Frankly, none of these consoles seem THAT horrible to me. I've been hit with all of the ones listed in this reply several times and I have used/still use them. None have made me want to rage quit a match.

devorasx 12-05-2012 04:43 PM

Gah, ive learned alot in the past days regarding anything which has to do with payed consoles, and have come to one easy conclusion. P2W is the same as ones morality.
Player A finds X console to be OP, while Player B finds X console to be oki, but not console Y. On the other hand Player A finds console Y to be perfectly legit, and thinks Player B is stupit for beliving Y console is OP. And hence the forum pvp starts.

So comes the questions: Who is more correct? Who has the last say?

In essence none. No one is more correct or wrong than the other. Its hard to say which console is OP and which is not. Certainly there are some obvious ones which can be deemed OP by the majority, but how will that stop the minority from using it? Nothing, since we cannot enforce said "ban" properly without fighting among ourselves. And that to say is counterproductive. Heck there are even non-purchasable consoles/mods which all can aquire when you start the game, which is FAR more OP then the ones you pay for (read; Tric mines combined with DPB2/3). How will one grade them by OPness?

I myself have always been a proponent for everyone to use whatever they please, no matter how cheesey cause it helps them win. Why on earth other players wants to enforce SUBJECTIVE rules and regulations is beyond me, since said rules are hampering growth, tinkering with new strategies and tactics as well as creating an athmosphere there the old vets are always the "correct" ones. Maybe it too can be because other players doesnt know how to overcome said problem and hence invent rules to deal with them, hell I dont know. Now how arrogant is that? Who are we to enforce rules on players? Sure ive made complaints on certain payed consoles, but I overcome and adapt. I too know perfectly well that players who use cheese stuff is only capable of doing that to win, so that just tells me how crappy they are. Once we overcome that cheese the victory is just SO much sweeter, cause said cheese player(s) will have a hard time developing something new.

But in light of my last mess I will still be diplomatic and try to work out some deal with the rest of the community, so everyones wishes and concerns are brought to the table. Which console can we in consensus agree upon is a tad OP, and which is not. After we can try to enforce them socially and as respectful human beings as good as we can.

Yes, my 2 cents on the issue.

afree100 12-05-2012 05:11 PM

The only console I would say is "OP" is Plasmonic Leech since it gives a huge bonus and is active 100% of the time. Any other console problems are because they are chained imo. The high cd makes them fine, also they may be a problem in 1v1 but it is much easier to work things out in that enviroment by sending a pm of all your universal consoles (excluding borg, zero point etc) over to the other person and always having a stock pile of "standard" consoles handy.