Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Federation Shuttle Hangar needs a buff (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=475401)

suaveks 12-06-2012 05:50 AM

Federation Shuttle Hangar needs a buff

The Type-10 shuttle description states that "shuttles are a bit tougher than fighters".

Type 10 shuttle ~2600 HP
Advanced Peregrine Fighter ~2770 HP

Uhh... not really, no...

The idea of a beam shuttle with less DPS than a fighter but more HP would be really great, but in their current state the shuttles blow up ridiculously fast and Polarize Hull is practically pointless with such low base HP.

While at it, the description states that the shuttles are equipped with "Phaser Arrays" - implying multiple beams, instead of just one - yet I've never seen more than one beam being fired from them.

In comparison, KDFs Advanced Slavers have around 4600 HP, fly twice as fast, have an additional quantum mine launcher and can steal crew and commodities...

So yeah, about that buff?

macrican 12-06-2012 07:40 AM

I love my type 10 shuttle. i kitted her out in Omega Force gear (just have one more piece of mk 12 gear to get) along with quantums and i think the 360 shuttle phaser thing. if not that then it's the phased tetryon cannon. she lasts way longer than my runabout in a fight and totally outspeeds my delta flyer. though it's a toss up still if she is better than my aeon timeship fighter. hmmm

suaveks 12-06-2012 07:43 AM

I'm not talking about the playable shuttle, but a hangar...

elandarksky 12-06-2012 07:45 AM

I really dont mean to sound rude, but dont bother with the hanger then ^^'

its bad dps
its bad hull
it has a bad ability

Dont waste time on it, and get the fighter/danube instead :p

suaveks 12-06-2012 07:58 AM

<facepalm>

baudl 12-06-2012 08:15 AM

but srsly...you compare a bad federation shuttle with an awesome KDF fighter...

as said before, get a federation shuttle thats actually worth something, and compare them with what the klingons got.

suaveks 12-06-2012 08:47 AM

o_O

Of course I compare these ships because the whole point of this thread is to show how underpowered the fed shuttle are when compared to other hangars. Slavers ARE shuttles with beam arrays that are way more versatile and powerful than what feds got for the same price.

The craft concept was good, but the actual performance is unbalanced. There's little to no incentive to use the shuttle hangar, while it COULD have been a nice, more sturdy alternative to generic fighters and less maneuverable runabouts or delta flyers. The whole point was to show that even the description is wrong, as the shuttles are in fact not tougher than fighters and polarize hull is practically useless due to this.

So please stop with that "it's bad so you shouldn't use it" BS. It's bad so it should be tweaked, not ignored.

reconalpha1 12-06-2012 09:33 AM

I must agree with the OP, the only Hanger Pet that was worth getting was hit big time with the nerf bat and now all hanger pets don?t come close to the KDF hanger pets.

I question the logic of why they added such useless abilities to some of the Hanger Pets

Like Tachyon Beam an ability that at its maxed out potential had very little effect on a players shields.

Polarize Hull another ability that requires timing in order to get full use of its ability and they went ahead and put it on a non-thinking hanger pet.

And the latest is the nerfed tractor beam where only 1 runabout out of the 4 can use it.

I sometimes wonder if any of them even play this game.

I am curious of how they came up with Polarize Hull for an ability on a Hanger Pet, what was the intention for its use, did they just pick it out of a hat or was there a reason for its use, the logic escapes me.

gypsyblade 12-06-2012 10:26 AM

You compared just a few of fighters

Advanced Peregrine vs Advanced Orion Slaver vs Type 10

Mind you, Orion fighters are faster then all fighters in the game. The Interceptors being the fastest, keep in mind the name of that fighter "Orion Interceptor".

DPS
  • AP > AOS > T10
Durability
  • T10 > AOS > AP

You can't have it both ways, and to be honest the AOS isn't that much more durable than the AP.

I'll also point out a few facts about the AOS:

1. It randomly drops mines (which doesn't help honestly)

2. It kidnaps maybe 1-3 crew members (rarely and doesn't even affect PvE/PvP all that much)

3. Stealing items (Doesn't steal from players, and rarely even steals from mobs)

Not really sure how much better they are.....

tlamstrike 12-08-2012 04:13 PM

I think that the Federation shuttle pets should at least get some mines. It in canon that the normal shuttle can be used to lay mines, the Enterprise had a shuttle do it in "Chain of Command Part II".

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antimatter_mine