Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   New chat channel: TheTradingChannel (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=479391)

uskodetra 12-09-2012 03:20 PM

New chat channel: TheTradingChannel
 
Tired of hunting for an item, but don't want to pay outragous prices on the exchange? Join the ingame channel, TheTradingChannel, to connect with like minded people to find and negotiate a price!

This channel was created to wheel and deal, negotiating prices, and finding bargains. want an item, but can't afford an EC pricetag via exchange? Check out TheTradingChannel to see if someone else will trade You what You want for something else.


A few basic rules:

1: Please try and stay on topic. Minor off-topic chat is normal.
2: No trolling. There is a 1 issued warning in effect against trolls, it is not tolerated.
3: No scamming. If someone states the wrong price, simply correct them, if it continues, this will be grounds of scamming.
4: No bashing.
5: No flaming.
6: Due the hazards and complexity of it, selling fleets is prohibited.
7: When selling doffs, please state which faction they are, as well as quality, traits, and abilities.
8: Please use WTB-Wanting to Buy WTS-Wanting to Sell WTT wanting to Trade
9: Please only link items if it's related to buying/selling/trading.
10: Please no trading Real World items, such as real money, and please abide by STO's EULA and TOS
11: Please do not advertise items for sale on exchange. People who view the exchange are already aware of the item.


The rules are subject to change, removal, or additions. If there are any questions or complaints, please send Me an ingame mail, and I will do My best address the issues.

Owner:
@Usko_Detra
Moderators:
@lake1771
@Jedinikon
@crosis2014
@raud1
@hevymtl4life


Our affiliate channels:
FairTrade - For higher priced items
FleetRecruit - For people looking to join a fleet, or for fleet members
GamersChoiceChannel - For general chit-chat

stark2k 12-09-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uskodetra (Post 7007031)
Tired of hunting for an item, but don't want to pay outragous prices on the exchange? Join the ingame channel, TheTradingChannel, to connect with like minded people to find and negotiate a price!

This channel was created to wheel and deal, negotiating prices, and finding bargains. want an item, but can't afford an EC pricetag via exchange? Check out TheTradingChannel to see if someone else will trade You what You want for something else.

It would sure help avoid the "WTT XXX product for XXX product" in zone chat - though notthat zone chat makes any sense anymore.

Zone chat are mainly used by trollers, griefers, and everything in between, hell it is now spilling over to local chat, lol.

I might give your channel a try.

olivia211 12-10-2012 12:14 AM

There is still legitimate use for places like ESD chat. Most new players end up there and most of them still get their questions answered. Anyone that belittles a new player there gets a stern talking to and if they continue to flame new people, they are usually reported and quieted rather quickly. We are learning who the usual trolls are and most of them have been blocked by most of us regulars and they know this so they are usually going elsewhere to troll or do something else. DS9 I can't really speak for. The few times I am there it's all political talk so perhaps that area is beyond saving.

A trade channel is helpful. I doubt I will ever use it, but I know of a few people who might like it.

logicalspock 12-10-2012 12:56 AM

Why would anyone sell something for cheaper on this channel than the exchange?

It seems to me that on the exchange, buyers and sellers name their own prices.

If you price something low, you will usually sell it quickly.

I have nothing against a trade channel, but I do not understand why it would be in any way BETTER than the exchange. Its only real use seems to be as an alternative for the exchange when it is buggy.

stark2k 12-10-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logicalspock (Post 7010721)
Why would anyone sell something for cheaper on this channel than the exchange?

It seems to me that on the exchange, buyers and sellers name their own prices.

If you price something low, you will usually sell it quickly.

I have nothing against a trade channel, but I do not understand why it would be in any way BETTER than the exchange. Its only real use seems to be as an alternative for the exchange when it is buggy.

Typically for pure trade.

Examples:

Trade my Weaver for your Wells sort of thing. Trades that may not involve Energy Credits (WTF are energy credits anyways? who invented that @ss of a concept?)

I can see its potential - Its a way for a quick transaction - while the exchange may take time to attract attention.

The channel can attract it rather quickly - one draw back though (People have to know about it and use it)

I'm assuming as smart players, folks will use the exchange to compare prices during a Trade chat.

grylak 12-10-2012 02:14 AM

I have a trader character, so I'll be signing up for this.


Exchange prices are often overpriced. There are those of us who just want to turn an honest profit, instead of gouging people like Ferengi. I trust this channel will be like that.

khamseenair 12-10-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stark2k (Post 7011041)
(WTF are energy credits anyways? who invented that @ss of a concept?)

Energy credits (commonly referred to simply as credits) were mentioned in a few episodes of the series and more frequently in books which dealt with life on Federation worlds such as Earth, Vulcan and Andoira. Though money went the way of the dinosaur, you still couldn't have a civilisation just take take take all the time, so EC limited what people could use per month, each person had an allocation (the same no matter what job they did or where they lived) and could use them for public replicators, transporters etc.

logicalspock 12-10-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grylak (Post 7011241)
I have a trader character, so I'll be signing up for this.


Exchange prices are often overpriced. There are those of us who just want to turn an honest profit, instead of gouging people like Ferengi. I trust this channel will be like that.

I am not an economist, but I do know that according to the laws of supply and demand, in a free market, a scarce product cannot be overpriced. It is the exact price the market determines it is worth.

Maybe the exchange prices on certain items are more than you want to pay.

uskodetra 12-10-2012 03:02 PM

As Stark2k has mentioned, the primary goal of this channel is for bartering, secondary goal would be negotating prices, or perhaps seeking a very specific item. I know there's a channel for it, but I will give an example... Say You're browsing through doff missions, and there's one You really want to crit, that is where this channel comes in. Just advertise You're looking for a doff with trait 1, trait 2, trait 3.

Another purpose of the channel is for price information. If people are in the mood, They can announce price raises and fallings on particular items, such as a Temporal ship, or Tuffly. This channel is in no way designed to replace the exchange, that would just be silly, but it is designed to be the next best thing, doing things the Exchange cannot do.

travelingmaster 12-10-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logicalspock (Post 7017941)
I am not an economist, but I do know that according to the laws of supply and demand, in a free market, a scarce product cannot be overpriced. It is the exact price the market determines it is worth.

Maybe the exchange prices on certain items are more than you want to pay.

That assumes nobody's working to game the system to artificially raise prices on specific items. This is possible for people with lots of EC, strong internet connection, and time to burn.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 AM.