Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Nerfing Fun - The way of doing Business (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=483641)

bugshu 12-13-2012 11:06 AM

Nerfing Fun - The way of doing Business

When this game started, Craig Z promised that the #1 goal would be to establish a fun game. He said that if they had a fun game that people would want to play it and that they could make money $15 per player per month and that for .50 cents a day Cryptic would provide solid entertainment value.

Then we went free to play and it seems that Cryptic only cares about enhancing revenues and not so much about providing a fun game that people want to play.

Lets discuss the many ways Cryptic is purposefully bending over backwards to nerf fun.

One of my biggest pet peeves is nerfs and respecs. In the early days of the game science was the best class and my fleet had some of the best science players in the game. Sci got nerfed from being the best class to being a Novelty class that many if not most universally ignored in pvp. I lost many fleetmates over this and they were the kind of players you wanted in the game. If something is unbalanced then you raise the abilities of the other classes to meet it rather than nerfing or destroying the hard work people put into their class or ship. Cryptic should have improved the merits of Eng and Tact rather than destroying Sci. They nerfed the fun of people who put hard work and effort into Sci. And they lost players over it. Good players. Players who played daily and spent money on the game. When Cryptic nerfs skills they nerf players fun.

Being stingy with respecs is a way to nerf fun. Respecs cost $5 and everytime you turn around Cryptic is changing with either new products or nerfs. I knew people who had tight fitting ships built around reverse shield polarity 3. Cryptic nerfed rsp3 and they just left the game. You could tell them all day that it only cost $5 to respec but they made the point that if they paid $5 and next week Cryptic did another nerf that it would cost $5 more. And that they would be rewarding Cryptic for ruining their characters. Everyone should be able to play their characters as much as they want and how they want. People cannot respec as fast as Cryptic nerfs or changes skills without spending tons of money. When Cryptic destroys players builds and then denies them the ability to respec for free they nerf players fun.

Cryptic has nerfed pvp. Player pvp matches are down and keep falling and its obvious that its only enjoyed by a small minority. I enjoy pvp and I like it. But PvP is pay to win now. I get nearly daily invites to pvp and some with good fleets like Spanish Inquisition or Fista Sistas. I just dont want to do it. I have not done pvp in over a year and do not see myself returning anytime soon. Even if I had all the top gear such as Jem Hadar ships and the best weapons and consoles; I just dont think it would be a challenge or fun to beat people that couldnt kit up like I could. I dont want to lose to someone because they have superior gear and I dont want to beat someone because they have inferior gear. In chess you sit down and both sides have the same number of pieces and ability to compete and fight. In STO, you better have spent $1000 on your ride because that person you are fighting probably did. 98% of the people dont pvp anymore and those that do are usually the "whales" that had big wallets. STO can hold pvp academies from not until forever trying to "rebuild" pvp but skilled players with "good" ships are going to lose to skilled players with great pay to win ships. Destroying pvp by catering to the pay to win crowd nerfs players fun.

Stealing from players nerfs players fun. Make no mistake Cryptic steals from its players. For instance, I bought a Tellarite. I know they are free now but I paid money for the right to play mine. It had a nice skill pig headed rage and lucky had a +5 bonus to crits. Cryptic nerfed pig headed range and reduced Lucky to +3 and took a toon that I invested real world money, time and effort in and made it less fun. People quit buying Tellarites so they made them free for anybody that wanted one. My Tellarite was "special" and Cryptic nerfed it. They stole it from me. Sure I still have it and play it but its less "special". Everyone probably could share a story of their own. I spent a good deal on prototype consoles. They were nerfed and I feel Cryptic "stole" them from me. I spent 5 million ec on a reverse shield polarity 3 bridge officer and watched it get nerfed. Ive lost untold amounts of marks, emblems, requisitions, salvage, etc.. when Cryptic decided to simplify things for us and "change" currency. I had Devs tell me that the only way to ever fly a Connie was to go to Gamestop and spend $50 and buy another copy of the game. I went to gamestop paid my $50. Now anyone can buy it in the zen store for less. Put simply, they lied. I could have saved $30 by waiting for it to go to the zen store and then buying it. I could write 100 paragraphs over the many ways Cryptic "steals from its players but theres more to address. When Cryptic lies to and steals from its customers they nerf players fun.

bugshu 12-13-2012 11:07 AM

Cryptic refuses to build new content. They take our money from STO and invest it into Neverwinter Nights. They do not care if we enjoy the game we are paying to play. They want us to enjoy NWN where they own the licensing fee. We now have more ships, skins, and costumes for the ships to look at than we have missions in the game. Weve added more ships to buy than we have missions to play. New content is almost always about a new ship to buy or lockbox to open. When Cryptic cares far more about selling us new ships than giving us new missions where we could use them and enjoy them the content gets stale. Refusing to build new content nerfs players fun.

There are now more missions bugged and unplayable than new missions to play. Half the trophy missions are problematic with Crystalline Entity being problematic, fluidic space fleet action removed, deep space 9 fleet action removed, starbase 24 ground removed, and problems with others. With diplomacy moving from 1300 points to 100,000 the diplomacy missions have not been updated to allow for the near 100 fold increase in need for points. Aid the planet pays 10 points and does not drop friendship rewards anymore. You have a 1 in 10 chance of getting an ATP mission so it would take you 100,000 missions to make ambassador with aid missions nowadays. Explo missions pay 10 diplomacy. Its stupid that they worked hard adding non violent content thats quite good but the rewards are so low its an utter waste of time to play any of it. I feel that every single mission should have a reason to play it at every level. The missions the game has are to level up and then ignore forever. If Cryptic would add rewards to the missions then people would play them. Instead they nerf the Efficient Impulse Engine so people dont have a reason to play them. There are 83 story missions in this game and 20 of them are featured episodes. Of the 63 story missions, I doubt 5 of them gives gear or rewards usable at hero endgame level 50. There is a batleth on the KDF side and Doomsday device gives a Torpedo Launcher but most of the 61 story missions are worthless except for levelling up. Patrol missions are now hard to find. Explore missions have had their rewards nerfed. Deep space encounters do not pay anything at all except for experience and accolade titles. The Undine STF has been broken forever. Cryptic could add 150 missions back into the game by fixing bugs and updating proper rewards. This game has lots to do but little of it is rewarding. Letting your missions break, lack rewards, and stagnate nerfs players fun.

When Cryptic is stingy with rewards and payouts it makes the game less fun. I understand that they feel that if they give players less that they can sell more in their store. But I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. Many hardcore players have given up playing their "alts". Obviously Cryptic is gating peoples time and "forcing" them to grind and work harder for gear for their toons. However, when people dont play their alts and quit caring about them then they really dont need to buy a ship for their alt toons or a new costume set. When someone says that they are only playing one toon now then Im pretty sure that I can guess how much they are buying and spending for the other 9 they dont play. Every fleet in the game has seen a sharp slowdown in fleet project advancement. 99% of fleets have no hope of ever seeing tier 5 and they know it. Many fleets are closing and most are frustrated. Many fleet leaders are kicking out inactive players and recruiting hard from the shrinking base of new players just to get active players contributing marks and dilithium. Players are frustrated at the grind for reputation and gear and new f2p players do not like the high cost of ships. I guarantee you that I can show you 10 dead players and inactive players in a fleet for every fan boy player that comes to this board talking about how easy and fun this game is. Making the game too hard to enjoy nerfs players fun.

We could go on for ages but nobody really thinks more grind equals more fun. Or that fleet projects you cant move forward and and tiers that you can never reach are fun. Nobody thinks that being limited to one alt that has time to reach Cryptics time gates is fun. Nobody likes stale content, broken, removed, and unrewarding missions; those are not fun. Nobody likes having to spend $1000 to be on a level playing field at pvp .. thats not fun. Nobody likes having their toons or skills nerfed and Cryptic thumbing their noses at us and saying pay $5 to adapt and respec after we ruined your toon; Thats not fun. Nobody likes Cryptic lying and stealing and ever changing currencies and economies which usually means you wake up one morning with less than you had the night before; its certainly not fun being the victim of theft.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Cryptic feels nerfing fun makes this a better game and more people will play it and spend more money on it. There needs to be a filter on every decision, "Will this change make the game more fun for players?". Cryptic is selling a product and its entertaiment and fun. Removing both from their game might someday become problematic for their revenue base and future....

I hope we do not see this game fail but I can show you fleets full of dead players that dont think this game is worth their time and this suggests it might.

Happy Gaming All,

Bugshu

yggdrayuril 12-13-2012 11:15 AM

Man thats a giant wall of text that could've been summed up as:

That's how MMOs work. There is no obligation by the company to not do changes as they deem fit, and they don't need to hand out free respecs to people just because they change some skills around. Just because the Connie USED to be in a special copy of the game doesn't mean it MUST stay like that.

Actually, why do I even bother trying to counter all your points? You clearly just hate Cryptic, and nothing is going to change your mind over your perceived injustices at the hands of a corrupt company that does what every other company in the world does: it needs to make money. I don't know why people lie to themselves and think anything else matters.

Money is the first priority, always. You can make the world's most awesome and fun game, but unless it's making a lot of money, no one is going to bother publishing or hosting the thing.

curs0r 12-13-2012 11:16 AM

I don't disagree with the points you've raised here. I have taken up the approach of just not grinding or going out of my way for anything at this point. It's a pretty safe bet that something will change and what's expensive now will be free or dirt cheap in a week, or a month, or whatever. That's ok by me, I just wish I had something to do besides assisting new fleetmates on the same old stuff.

yggdrayuril 12-13-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curs0r (Post 7072551)
I don't disagree with the points you've raised here. I have taken up the approach of just not grinding or going out of my way for anything at this point. It's a pretty safe bet that something will change and what's expensive now will be free or dirt cheap in a week, or a month, or whatever. That's ok by me, I just wish I had something to do besides assisting new fleetmates on the same old stuff.

By that logic, you shouldn't actually play any MMO at all. Whatever you do now, will be easier/obsolete in a month/year anyway. Better just wait until they stop changing anything or the game closes, right?

MMOs pretty much revolve around grinding, and undergo constant changes because players will always find ways to make something overpowered/broken that the devs never thought of.

darimund 12-13-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yggdrayuril (Post 7072621)
By that logic, you shouldn't actually play any MMO at all. Whatever you do now, will be easier/obsolete in a month/year anyway. Better just wait until they stop changing anything or the game closes, right?

MMOs pretty much revolve around grinding, and undergo constant changes because players will always find ways to make something overpowered/broken that the devs never thought of.

so now cryptic just cuts the middle man out and releases content broken from the get go. I get it now!

yggdrayuril 12-13-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darimund (Post 7072691)
so now cryptic just cuts the middle man out and releases content broken from the get go. I get it now!

Broken content is pretty much par for course for any MMO. You can never test how anything will work when you release to thousands of people at once, if not ten's. And in that grouping are people who will specifically find ways to break and exploit everything you've done.

curs0r 12-13-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yggdrayuril (Post 7072621)

That's one way of looking at it. Another way brings to mind a parable involving a bull, his son, and a herd of cows. But you go grind at it with all your might like it matters. I'll get all the same stuff without effort.

bugshu 12-13-2012 11:50 AM

I do not hate cryptic. I hate that Cryptic made a fun game and then started focusing on ways to remove fun.

American car companies were great and they were the pride of the world. They got fat and lazy and started releasing cars that cost too much and broke too often and got bad gas mileage. In the 70s you couldnt even see a Toyota on the road. Today Toyota is the largest car company in the world and they dominate everywhere. Most cars on the road in Africa are Toyotas.

For much of my life, I swore Id never own a foreign car. Today I own a Camry and it has 165,000 miles on it and a mechanic told me last week it easily could go another 100K with low maintenence such as changing the oil. As an aside, it was made in America.

Meanwhile, American companies have gone through bailouts, sales to foreign companies, closures of product lines like Saturn and Pontiac and more.

American car companies took their customers for granted and sold low quality products.

Its not ok to expect broken missions from an MMO as just another day in the game. Its not ok to assume that the customer that walked through your door yesterday will be back tomorrow.

I want Cryptic to succeed but they aint doing it. In fact moving this to a forum thread where people dont visit just shows how little respect they give customers or criticism.

These people are full of themselves and not paying attention to what their customers are telling them.

Cryptics attitude right now is that if we give them money then they will tell us how we should use our time and they will gate it for us.

Thats piss poor customer service and they darn well know it.

vestereng 12-13-2012 12:03 PM

You don't add to a game by removing stuff.

It's also a feeling that a lot of smaller changes in the right places could go a long way, a lot of things that wouldn't require much of them outside common sense.
I am sure that list would be longer than the OP's text...

My time here they released more content than I expected, especially for a f2p game, so I can't fault them there, though I don't personal like what they come up with, at least they are doing something.

To me it looks like they are in a rebuilding phase and it means expect things to get better and don't hold them hostage over the past.
It's new people doing boot camp at the buttom of the mountain.

I think the reputation system changes that were made goes to show that they do listen and they are trying.