Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Graphical and Sound Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Frames Drop When Opening Mail? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=487021)

colson15 12-16-2012 05:08 PM

Frames Drop When Opening Mail?
 
So I have noticed, I believe since the Season 7 update, that when I open many menus while in-game, especially the mail window, that my frames drop from usually around 54 to 27 while the window is open. This doesn't usually affect gameplay too much since I'm standing still usually, but I find it odd and irritating and just wondered if anyone else noticed this.

maddog0000doom 12-17-2012 07:54 AM

its always been doing this i got so mail in my inbox that the game slows so much i cant even move.

some other windows open also slow things down but bearly noticable. but cryptic have said before that having lots of windows open has no effect.


I WANT A DELETE all buttton and a option to STOP getting item sold messages

katanic123 02-24-2013 12:03 PM

my frame rate drops down to about 7 when I open my mail now, if i close my mail or go to compose it instantly returns to normal, tried to clear my mail box but the frame rate is so slow I'm just not getting anywhere

darkfader1988 02-24-2013 12:26 PM

Its not because of the incredible amount of mail you have, well actually it is, but new games handle these kinds of situations much better.

STO's UI system is basically drawn/calculated mostly by the CPU. On my i7 4.5Ghz my mailbox of 2 years not deleted mail my FPS drops to like 22~ versus 200+ without having it open.

Its not only a mailbox problem but a game wide problem, its also a problem in big fleet actions with 20+ man and dozens of NPC's your FPS simply plummets to 20/30 and when u disable the UI your fps skyrockets back to 60+

Thats the reason why they totally have to revamp the UI of the game, and I sincirely hope for them they actually make it fully GPU accelerated then. People have been complaining about FPS drop issues involving the UI since day 1 this game got released, unfortunately with all the new crap and spam added to the game it only gets worse.

I can imagine if they dont do anything about it, and people with tons of mail in their box it will only increase and increase, after a while people can simply not do anything anymore and the game will stall. They WILL have to revamp the UI system before this gets out of hand.

crypticcliff 02-26-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkfader1988 (Post 8287491)
Its not because of the incredible amount of mail you have, well actually it is, but new games handle these kinds of situations much better.

STO's UI system is basically drawn/calculated mostly by the CPU. On my i7 4.5Ghz my mailbox of 2 years not deleted mail my FPS drops to like 22~ versus 200+ without having it open.

Its not only a mailbox problem but a game wide problem, its also a problem in big fleet actions with 20+ man and dozens of NPC's your FPS simply plummets to 20/30 and when u disable the UI your fps skyrockets back to 60+

Thats the reason why they totally have to revamp the UI of the game, and I sincirely hope for them they actually make it fully GPU accelerated then. People have been complaining about FPS drop issues involving the UI since day 1 this game got released, unfortunately with all the new crap and spam added to the game it only gets worse.

I can imagine if they dont do anything about it, and people with tons of mail in their box it will only increase and increase, after a while people can simply not do anything anymore and the game will stall. They WILL have to revamp the UI system before this gets out of hand.

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. The UI is drawn with the GPU.

Scripts related to the UI are run on the CPU, and there are quite a lot of them running each frame. The UI performance bottleneck generally is there. This is not a graphical performance issue, and posting about it in the graphical issues subforum will get you virtually no traction because only the graphics people pay attention to this one.

eradicator84 02-26-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crypticcliff (Post 8332151)
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. The UI is drawn with the GPU.

Scripts related to the UI are run on the CPU, and there are quite a lot of them running each frame. The UI performance bottleneck generally is there. This is not a graphical performance issue, and posting about it in the graphical issues subforum will get you virtually no traction because only the graphics people pay attention to this one.

It manifests itself as a graphics problem, that's likely why it was posted in graphical issues subforum. If it's incorrect perhaps you can get this topic moved to the appropriate subforum instead? So it does get traction?


Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog0000doom (Post 7122691)
I WANT A DELETE all buttton and a option to STOP getting item sold messages

+1000

All the exchange item sold emails magnify the problem. Though I'd more want a DELETE ALL EXCHANGE EMAILS type button. I like getting notification of items sold whilst I've been away from the game but don't want to click through tens of emails each day clicking delete button on each and I also want to keep emails from other players.

kalani2 02-27-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crypticcliff (Post 8332151)
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. The UI is drawn with the GPU.

Scripts related to the UI are run on the CPU, and there are quite a lot of them running each frame. The UI performance bottleneck generally is there. This is not a graphical performance issue, and posting about it in the graphical issues subforum will get you virtually no traction because only the graphics people pay attention to this one.

This bottleneck caused by scripts wouldn't be so frustrating if I didn't have idle CPU cores while its happening.

zerobang 02-27-2013 12:45 AM

This is a general problem of the game engine, it exists in champions online and in STO, and i bet you it will be the same in Neverwinter.

Mail,
Foundry Mission list,
400 DOffs in one window.

even just having a full Inventory open or having all the HUD clutter options active (in PvP or Fleetactions) reduces FPS already by an ungodly amount.

i was even able to measure a reproducible frame drop of 2 or 3 frames (with my old system at least, which was still better than what the average casual STO player has today) when i only added ONE line of icons to the Powerbar (what is that 10 or 12 icons?).



I don't know how things work inside the engine, but there is obviously a bottleneck and it is whatever happens on the CPU, my quadcore runs at ~25% load = 1 core maxed out, only when this happens and the GPU load drops to rock bottom. (i can see that on my Logitech G15 LCD with Everest stats displayed)


Whatever happens on the CPU, it needs to be optimized, first for Quadcore CPU usage to properly distribute the load and maybe it is already enough if these scripts run just ONCE per rendered frame... or per 5 frames?



This UI hurts the Framerate of everybody more than any amount of Polygons JamzJamz can slap on a Ship. (but HE has a Triangle budget... oh the irony, are there no *Budgets* for the UI Devs?)

meurik 02-27-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crypticcliff (Post 8332151)
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. The UI is drawn with the GPU.

Scripts related to the UI are run on the CPU, and there are quite a lot of them running each frame. The UI performance bottleneck generally is there. This is not a graphical performance issue, and posting about it in the graphical issues subforum will get you virtually no traction because only the graphics people pay attention to this one.

Funny. If the CPU is the bottleneck, why do I often have around 90-95% GPU load, and a mere 15-20% CPU load?

kirksplat 02-27-2013 07:26 AM

My game acts like a very drunk turtle every time I click the mail icon. I don't know what the issue is, but it makes my FPS drop to like 3.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 AM.