Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   PvP Boot Camp Update - 12/17/2012 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=487841)

pwebranflakes 12-17-2012 12:00 PM

PvP Boot Camp Update - 12/17/2012
 
Community Member Sargon checks in to provide an important update for PvP Boot Camp registrants, including the registration end date for session #1 and information on how you will be contacted by your coach.


Click here to read more.

chikahiro 12-17-2012 12:19 PM

Its pretty awesome this is being done! Sadly, I can't sign up as I've got work >_<

Best of luck to everyone! Learn! Have fun! :D

dontdrunkimshoot 12-17-2012 02:15 PM

im shocked at the number that have signed up, very encouraging! dont let the pvp part scare you, it really is fun as soon as you learn the few simple things you need to do to keep a decent defense intact.

its not just for pvp help too, i will make you better at everything there is to do in game. if all you have done is play pve and never pvp'ed, its likely your ship only operates at about 10% of its potential. but thats ok, theres no were to go from there but up!

robeasom 12-17-2012 11:36 PM

This game needs a lot of balancing before PVP, I played a few matches of PVP when I first started on the game and found in unbalanced and quite boring and I do play PVP on other games. So I think this bootcamp is them trying to breathe life into a dead fire and a waste of time.

havam 12-18-2012 01:18 AM

Balance in this game could be a lot better. That being said the whole point of boot camp is to show people the fun that PvP holds, when you no longer rely on gear and procs. Despite all the spam that is coming our way, PvP in this game is not very gear dependent. I don't know of anyone associated with this initiative who would like to change this. I have successfully PvPed with blue MK XI gear and a bunch of geen and white doffs. We want to help people achieve the same thing. Avoid a few skills, understand the baiscs of the skill tree, know you class, and understand teamwork.... your good to go.
I'll take a pvp vet in an RA ship with white gear only any day over the omegaeverythng noob with an ?berPvE build kirking in the queues.

dontdrunkimshoot 12-18-2012 02:41 AM

getting completely overwhelmed and stomped doesn't mean its unbalanced, it means you didn't know what you were doing when you dabbled in it, and got rocked. the core game play is very balanced, the P2W additions arent, a lot of them at least

seekerkorhil 12-18-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot (Post 7128871)
if all you have done is play pve and never pvp'ed, its likely your ship only operates at about 10% of its potential. but thats ok, theres no were to go from there but up!

Lol arrogant much? :rolleyes: I never pvp and my ship operates at about 95% of its potential with the other 5% sacrificed for pve specialisation.

This game is so simple there is no excuse for you to have your ship perform well in one area and poorly in the other unless you are deliberately penalising yourself by using plasma weapons (which I am, even then I often top damage done in pugs).

A properly fit PVE ship is damn similar to a properly built PVP ship the only difference between the 2 environments is that PVP REQUIRES teamwork.

mustrumridcully0 12-18-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerkorhil (Post 7135901)
Lol arrogant much? :rolleyes: I never pvp and my ship operates at about 95% of its potential with the other 5% sacrificed for pve specialisation.

This game is so simple there is no excuse for you to have your ship perform well in one area and poorly in the other unless you are deliberately penalising yourself by using plasma weapons (which I am, even then I often top damage done in pugs).

A properly fit PVE ship is damn similar to a properly built PVP ship the only difference between the 2 environments is that PVP REQUIRES teamwork.

It is not that simple. In my experience, PvE simply doesn't require a lot of crowd control abilities or debuffs. You're really best of with a high damage build, having your basic heals. The STFs and the No Win scenario seem to be the only modes where many science abilities even become relevant.

For example:
One of the most important powers in PvP has always been Subnucleonic Beam. SNB removes buffs, and a ship that is buffed with an EPtS, Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength, Auxillary Power to Structural Integrity Field, ATtack PAttern Apha and Omega, and Cannon Rapid FIre is basically neutralized with a single SNB. (A good pilot can survive it in many circumstances, and a team may carry him throught he worse cases). But NPCs? They use 2-3 buffs at best usually. You get much, much more out of an Attack Pattern Alpha.


Not all games have such extreme differences between PvE and PvP. But STO definitely has a big difference.

naevius 12-18-2012 11:45 AM

PvE...at the beginning of S7 I flew into one of the new Romulan space battle instances without realizing that S7 had removed most of my skills from my bar. All I could do was steer and shoot. But I still didn't die.

PvP isn't like that.

seekerkorhil 12-18-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustrumridcully0 (Post 7141611)
One of the most important powers in PvP has always been Subnucleonic Beam. SNB removes buffs, and a ship that is buffed with an EPtS, Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength, Auxillary Power to Structural Integrity Field, ATtack PAttern Apha and Omega, and Cannon Rapid FIre is basically neutralized with a single SNB. (A good pilot can survive it in many circumstances, and a team may carry him throught he worse cases). But NPCs? They use 2-3 buffs at best usually. You get much, much more out of an Attack Pattern Alpha.

He said PVEers only fly their ships at 10% effectiveness which is bull. Your post revolves around a skill that is a CAPTAIN ability and there fore has nothing to do with ships at all.

What were you responding to again?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.