Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   should not need to consult a wiki to find out where things are (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=489221)

wcanyon2012 12-18-2012 02:31 PM

should not need to consult a wiki to find out where things are

Two cases in point:

- Clusters, like Delta Volanis. The diplomatic mission doesn't say where Delta Volanis is. I can't search the map. So I have to go to the wiki and look up Delta Volanis.

- Quark's bar. Got a mission to talk to Barret in Quark's. Mission text does not tell me where Quarks is. Map in game does not either. On the map for DS9 there's a large black area in the middle -- that's Quarks. How would I have known that from the map? I wouldn't.

This is a useful map: http://www.stowiki.org/File:Deep_Space_9_Map.png, devs, you could learn a thing or two.

In short:

- add a search feature to the star map

- add landmarks to the station maps and make them searchable as well

lordmalak1 12-18-2012 03:18 PM

I'll add one too:
'The Vault' mission text,
Quote:

Speak to Lt. Cmdr. DeSoto in the Admiral's Office
The tooltip doesn't tell you that he's on starbase 39, Psi Velorum sector, nor that SB39 is Sierra system.

crusty8mac 12-18-2012 05:53 PM

It's all in the manual. Oh, wait................ :rolleyes:

wcanyon2012 12-18-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmalak1 (Post 7145431)
I'll add one too:
'The Vault' mission text,

The tooltip doesn't tell you that he's on starbase 39, Psi Velorum sector, nor that SB39 is Sierra system.

So much of this. Every mission should have a hyperlink that opens the map, centered on the system in question.

wcanyon2012 12-18-2012 10:57 PM

Oh, and one more thing: keep NPCs on the map regardless of draw distance. I shouldn't have to walk closer to that side of the map to see if the person I need to find is there -- it's not like they're moving around.

mbp101287 12-19-2012 10:15 PM

All the clusters are listed on the map though...

fraghul2000 12-20-2012 06:54 AM

good grief...

...gamers are really completely dependent these days. It's amazing, especially in an mmo like STO, which has one of the smallest environments out there. It takes about 15 seconds and a small tad of common sense to find both Delta Volanis and Quarks.

cmdrscarlet 12-20-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraghul2000 (Post 7167921)
good grief...

...gamers are really completely dependent these days. It's amazing, especially in an mmo like STO, which has one of the smallest environments out there. It takes about 15 seconds and a small tad of common sense to find both Delta Volanis and Quarks.

I want to agree with this.

Granted though, the three options in the map tab are one too many in my opinion. If I could scale it back it would be the list that goes the way of the Do Do. Maybe that's because I'm a visual kind of person. But I can see how an alphabetical list would make navigating to a system within a sector "faster".

mbp101287 12-20-2012 01:28 PM

I have to say for one, finding quarks was a bit confusing the first time. However I was still very new to the game and still didn't know what the heck I was doing most of the time. I consulted the wiki and was grateful for the information. I feel the wiki is an excellent source for compiling all the information, which is already present in the game, into a comprehensive, relatively concise format. It is an awesome resource.

f9thaceshigh 12-20-2012 02:39 PM

Quarks is in exactly the same place it was on the show, the only difference is that the big doors are closed, if you watched any DS9 you could find that. Not to mention that it says enter quarks when you walk up to said doors. Heck, all you have to do is take a lap around the Promenade and you'll find it eventually.

As for Delta Volanis, it is labeled on the map, big letters right next to Sirius SB, and if you do the Explore Strange New Worlds mission that introduces you to the Exploration clusters it tells you where to find it on the map. Not to mention that if you fly west from Sol you are bound to hit it eventually.

It's an MMO, part of the fun is finding out where things are by yourself. By the way, all locations on the sector space maps appear in the list view on the map screen.