Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   "15 minute rule" is killing new Foundry missions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=490501)

mmotnahp 12-19-2012 03:50 PM

"15 minute rule" is killing new Foundry missions

Ever since the implementation of the "15 minute rule" new Foundry missions simply aren't being reviewed...because you get no reward for it.

A large part of STO being successful is user-created content.

What can be done to fix this?

sollvax 12-19-2012 03:53 PM

Ask your friends/fleetmates

or hey if desperate (and the mission does not include the borg ) message me at @sollvax and ill run through it when I get a chance (fair warning I am quite busy) but I will give you a fair review.

if its got borg in it I will quit the mission as soon as I see them because Borg annoy me

zorbane 12-19-2012 04:21 PM

What sollvax says is true, get friends to play. You should get them to in any case because they can help you test it. Also post your mission to the mission database forum

john98837 12-19-2012 06:21 PM

I have to agree this new qualification system for the officer reports mission is absurd and doing more harm than good. A friend of mine has put tons of work into a 5 map foundry mission, both ground and space, has about half a dozen reviews, even more play throughs, and it takes about 30 minutes to go through it, yet this does not qualify. On the other hand simple space missions that i can blow through in 10 minutes easy does qualify.

I get it they didn't like the clickies, fine, but surely there as to be a more straight forward and open way to make people play real missions and not just 1 clickers inorder to get the reward. This change has only made foundry authors spend there time trying to figure out how to qualify rather than improving there missions or designing new ones. It's long past time for cryptic to seriously rethink how this qualification mechanic works.

zorbane 12-19-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john98837 (Post 7162671)
I have to agree this new qualification system for the officer reports mission is absurd and doing more harm than good. A friend of mine has put tons of work into a 5 map foundry mission, both ground and space, has about half a dozen reviews, even more play throughs, and it takes about 30 minutes to go through it, yet this does not qualify. On the other hand simple space missions that i can blow through in 10 minutes easy does qualify.

I get it they didn't like the clickies, fine, but surely there as to be a more straight forward and open way to make people play real missions and not just 1 clickers inorder to get the reward. This change has only made foundry authors spend there time trying to figure out how to qualify rather than improving there missions or designing new ones. It's long past time for cryptic to seriously rethink how this qualification mechanic works.

I think it's just a problem with how it's calculating the average time. Once that gets figured out it will be fine.

My theory is that it is including author play time in the equation. So whenever the author tests it (by running through extremely quickly) they are actually sabotaging their own average time. This is even worse if for example they do a very early publish to test just the first map. If that takes 3 minutes only, then they're REALLY hurting themselves.

My solution would be to remove the author play time from the equation. If I get riled up enough I might have to start a thread or write a blog post about it on StarbaseUGC :mad:

drudgy 12-20-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorbane (Post 7162821)
I think it's just a problem with how it's calculating the average time. Once that gets figured out it will be fine.

My theory is that it is including author play time in the equation. So whenever the author tests it (by running through extremely quickly) they are actually sabotaging their own average time. This is even worse if for example they do a very early publish to test just the first map. If that takes 3 minutes only, then they're REALLY hurting themselves.

My solution would be to remove the author play time from the equation. If I get riled up enough I might have to start a thread or write a blog post about it on StarbaseUGC :mad:

I couldn't agree more here. I was one of the victims of this as well. There's really nothing about my latest foundry mission that would define it as a simple clicky mission. Hell the script I wrote for it is 15+ pages long and it's 5 maps with multiple objectives. I think where I got shot in the foot is like what zorbane said. I published it a few times to play it and get the paths and wander effects sorted out, which could have screwed me if it counted on the average play time.

Honestly it wouldn't be so bad if the Foundry captains would either be max level with some decent gear, or would scale based on the mission. I personally find it very hard to judge exactly how long the mission is going to play using the Foundry characters I have alone. I often will publish the mission, run though it a few times on a Tac, Eng, and Sci then go back to the drawing board to adjust it for difficulty or whatever. It would be nice if they had some way to exclude our tests much like we can't review our own missions etc.

lordmalak1 12-20-2012 08:15 AM

The constant bickering about "why aren't people playing my epic mission, instead they're playing quick space shooters instead, boo-hoo" killed my interest in the foundry. I even quit polishing my own, because I don't want to be the next target of rage from the 'epic' mission creators.

...Just sayin'

markhawkman 12-20-2012 09:12 AM

Rage? what rage?

jnohd 12-20-2012 09:13 AM

Most of those quick space shooters are being disqualified... several that take less than 10 min are getting red text within days of being "discovered."

hanover2 12-20-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohd (Post 7170101)
Most of those quick space shooters are being disqualified... several that take less than 10 min are getting red text within days of being "discovered."

They are urinating into the wind trying to combat free will with this bs about "qualified" missions.