Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Romulan Flameflower (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=492221)

azurianstar 12-21-2012 02:28 PM

Romulan Flameflower

Romulan Flamethower: Fun to use, but the lag with that sucker is extremely nasty. Talking bad as the original Bio Thermal Grenade. (This includes the Kit Flamethrower Turret, the lag is there too).

Would like to see the particle effects need to be redone so it doesn't cause video lag.

archoncryptic 12-21-2012 02:37 PM

We're looking into the effects lag issue with the flamethrower. Thanks for the feedback.

azurianstar 12-21-2012 03:40 PM

Really happy to hear. Look forward to the changes.

BTW, curious. Could we see the CRM 200 function similarly with the primary function with a continuous flow?

And is there any possibility of a combo attack using fire and ice?

jbmaverick 12-22-2012 02:20 PM

Wait wait wait... there's a kit with a flamethrower turret? That's one of those kit variants from the embassy isn't it? I need to get my fleet working on that some more!

questerius 01-01-2013 04:18 PM

Speaking of the flamethrower, is there an estimate when it will be added to the T5 shop again?

kerain 01-30-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azurianstar (Post 7184431)
Really happy to hear. Look forward to the changes.

i second that.

also about your signature? did you win the no win scenario without cheating like I did? because I did it by giving the simulator so many outcomes it couldn't calculate a plausible one and crashed, which now that i consider it maybe that is cheating?

cmdrskyfaller 02-18-2013 11:33 AM

They should re-work on the Breen CRM2000 and flamethrower simultaneously.

CRM2000:

Make regular attack be not a bolt but an 'icy wind blast' similar to the flamethrower's flame..only cold. Single target, It should do low damage but reduce target's run speed AND expose them.

The high powered attack should be AOE fore cone 'freeze' blast that does health damage when the target breaks from the freeze (not as it freezes).

Essentially a crowd control weapon. Does not compete in damage at all with the flamethrower.

Flamethrower:

Regular attack: 'rolling fireball' - flamer fires a squirt that turns into a fireball like a hay-ball lit on fire and it 'rolls' to the target. Anything that it touches gets caught on fire. non-aoe, straight line type of damage (like high density rifles)

High powered attack: 25 degree cone aoe flamethrower squirt. Anything in the cone gets lit on fire.

ddesjardins 02-19-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archoncryptic (Post 7183341)
We're looking into the effects lag issue with the flamethrower. Thanks for the feedback.

We ran across a similar problem when modding Savage:Newerth.

In the game we had a weapon known as the Incinerator, essentially a low-level flame thrower designed to do fire damage at close range. During the development of our mod, we increased it's range and rate of fire. Without realizing it we had created a lag cannon. God forbid we had more than one operating at any time.

Our solution was to pare down the actual rendering of the flame. Instead of 8 discharges per second (really looked fluid) stretched to 3x it's normal length, we cut it down to two. Lag became less of an issue. The drawback was it looked less like a flamethrower, and more like the STO bug spray. We ultimately added flame effects to the ground where the strike impacted.

Not knowing the mechanics of STO, perhaps change the weapon send out a fireball, that uses the existing ground effects for fire?

akurie666 03-29-2013 01:44 AM

The problem with the graphic is that it is not an effect but hundreds of small images piled on top of each other.

azurianstar 03-29-2013 03:18 AM

Well the changes are better than they were when I originally made this thread.

Just BBQed some Romulans and worked fairly good. Though took forever to recharge. So you definitely have to switch to a secondary weapon when using this.