Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Do Explosion FX do damage? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=492881)

chicochavez 12-21-2012 10:27 PM

Do Explosion FX do damage?

As the title states, was wondering if the explosion fx do any actual damage. Can't get on the foundry at the moment and an idea popped into my head just now.

rogueeenterprise 12-21-2012 10:53 PM

Nope I don't think that they do.

nagorak 12-21-2012 11:59 PM

No. No effects currently cause damage in the Foundry.

drkfrontiers 12-22-2012 02:11 AM

Personally I think that sux.

I think that the devs don't want to give authors the capability to inflict damage because they think that we would abuse it.

Sometimes a bit of damage or consequence is needed in a story.

For me one of my pet hates about the foundry is the fact that nothing bad happens.

Click here, do this... but, wait. Nothing happens even if you get it wrong.

The only thing that you are able to do is spawn a group of NPC's to DO the damage.

But not all situations call for that.

I would love to be able to create a engineering catastrophe on a ship.

Antimatter plasma fire, explosions, etc. Allow players so depth to their story.

ajstoner 12-22-2012 06:39 AM

Yet another in the long list of things we could really use. The only way to make use of dangerous enviornmental effects right now is with invisible walls used to hinder progress until something is (de)activated to allow you to pass.

Of course Cryptic complicates this further by having maps with things like fires and plasma jets as un-removable parts of the base maps in many cases.

psycoticvulcan 12-22-2012 09:48 AM

"Damage effects" like fire, plasma/gas, etc would be great.

connectamabob 12-22-2012 10:47 AM

I'd love this too. The ability to create actual failure conditions would mean a lot. Not to mention the dramatic tension having an actual danger in a hazardous environment.

After playing Kirkfat's "Trojan Horse", I though of how nifty it would be to set up a series of explosions triggered by reach markers, so that each explosion would go off right behind the player as they crossed that explosions reach marker. Fine tune the distance between explosions and reach marker edges, and you could create a rolling explosion that would chase the player like the Millennium Falcon out of the Death Star, and if they did damage, then you could further make it so the player would have to maintain a minimum given speed in order to avoid death. Add an obstacle course element, and Bob's your uncle.

Or you could kill the player with an explosion, and have the same thing that triggered the explosion also trigger a map transition at the respawn point, so the player could "die", then wake up in sickbay being told that they were knocked unconscious but were pulled out of the fire by a heroic boff or something.

Yeah, some folks might abuse it, but they'd get immediately lynched in the reviews and reports, so I don't see how that's a real issue.

ajstoner 12-22-2012 04:15 PM

There really isn't a way to abuse this that would hurt anyone but the foundry author who made it.