Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   STO's Story is Overrated. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=495111)

centersolace 12-23-2012 08:44 PM

STO's Story is Overrated.
 
I know STO's story has always been referred to as one of it's strengths, but I believe in reality it's one of STO's weaknesses. Let me ask you one question:

"Out of all the myriad story based missions, be they the base story, FE's, or side missions like the New Romulus ones, how many of them do you actually remember in great detail?"

Who were the characters involved? What were their motivations? What did you have to do? Were there choices? What choices did you make? What was your motivation?

Personally, I remember three. Coliseum, What Lies Beneath, and Alpha are the only missions I can remember in great enough detail to answer all of those questions. There are about 81 story missions in STO. I can remember details about Voyager episodes I haven't seen since they aired. This is not a good sign.

I mean, sure, I can remember specific details, like the Klingon that helps you fight the Doomsday Device, or the super fun times had in the Cage of Fire or Night of the Comet. Though, to be honest the latter two are due to unintentional reasons. (You who joined after Season Six were spared. SPARED! THAT **** FENCE!!!)

Oddly enough, it's the Grindy, not story based content that's where the memorable things happen. Whether it's the time I was still learning how STF's worked and I was stuck in a really bad KAGE PUG and the group severely underestimated my DPS and I destroyed a Gate by myself wiping out the entire group and killing the whole match in the process. Or the first time I ever did Gorn Minefield (the 20 man variant)and wound up with a hilarious looking several kilometer long reptile train.

You could argue that since we're forced to do them over and over again, of course theres a lot more room for memorable stuff to happen, but my counter to that, is since story missions are so ridged and instanced, theres very little room for the unexpected. But in the Fleet Actions and others like it, there's so many variables that something unexpected is guaranteed to happen. Even when you lose, theres still room for hilarity.

TL;DR The story isn't horrible. But I would much rather have one repeatable mission with randomized variables that throws me a bizarre curveball once and a while rather than 5 "meh" story missions with fixed objectives.

hypl 12-23-2012 09:03 PM

The story is one of its strengths? Where in the ho ho heck did you hear that from? :confused:

curs0r 12-23-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypl (Post 7216371)
The story is one of its strengths? Where in the ho ho heck did you hear that from? :confused:

I agree with this. Who ever said that about STO?

centersolace 12-23-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curs0r (Post 7216401)
I agree with this. Who ever said that about STO?

Quite a few. All the "Moar Story Missions RAWR" threads were getting to me.

thratch1 12-23-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypl (Post 7216371)
The story is one of its strengths? Where in the ho ho heck did you hear that from? :confused:

This...

STO's story has been pretty weak, with a lot of forgotten loose ends. On top of that, apparently the end to the Undine conflict (a healthy chunk of the 1-50 experience) was published as a short story in a Star Trek magazine.

The missions do some cool things sometimes, but it doesn't make us appreciate the characters very much, if at all, nor does it really lend any weight to events that happen.

STO's strengths lie more in its design. The space combat is pretty fun, and the character and environment art is also really nice at times (Facility 4028 and the Odyssey bridge are really nice set pieces, for example).

Starship design is up for debate. The older designs that are full of plated features and sharp angles are incredibly ugly to me, and I'm glad they've gone back to the smoother, more rounded design aesthetic for the newest ships.

Let's be honest here -- all of the frontline content for STO these days is usually a new environment to run around in, and new ships on the C-Store. They try for story, but they really need to refine how they approach the story's presentation, and scrutinize their writing a bit more before pushing it out there.

centersolace 12-23-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thratch1 (Post 7216431)
This...

STO's story has been pretty weak, with a lot of forgotten loose ends. On top of that, apparently the end to the Undine conflict (a healthy chunk of the 1-50 experience) was published as a short story in a Star Trek magazine.

The missions do some cool things sometimes, but it doesn't make us appreciate the characters very much, if at all, nor does it really lend any weight to events that happen.

STO's strengths lie more in its design. The space combat is pretty fun, and the character and environment art is also really nice at times (Facility 4028 and the Odyssey bridge are really nice set pieces, for example).

Starship design is up for debate. The older designs that are full of plated features and sharp angles are incredibly ugly to me, and I'm glad they've gone back to the smoother, more rounded design aesthetic for the newest ships.

Let's be honest here -- all of the frontline content for STO these days is usually a new environment to run around in, and new ships on the C-Store. They try for story, but they really need to refine how they approach the story's presentation, and scrutinize their writing a bit more before pushing it out there.

Good. I'm glad to see that more people agree with me than I thought. That hardly ever happens. :D

coldicephoenix 12-23-2012 09:22 PM

Well in cryptics defence, it is a little harder to tell a story in an MMO as opposed to a single player. You could say if you are PvEing all the way to level 50 it is a single player. And for that it does have a decent enough story to keep you interested. Even Blizzard the current MMO-King relies on short stories, comics and novels for story progression.

It's only when you are leveling alts that things get a bit boring.

Oh and best part of this story arc is the fact the Klingons were actually right about the shapeshifters as opposed to how the Feds were during the Dominion war. (Gowron being led to belive that Cardassia was inflitrated by changelings).

If anything, the story needs to expanded onto further w.r.t the Iconians (the big bads in STO). In my opinion though, their hand was revealed a little too early in-game and should have been a later surprise.

psycoticvulcan 12-23-2012 09:22 PM

The individual stories themselves are decent, but nothing special. It's the overarching story -- the Iconians, the chaos in the quadrant, etc -- that gives STO strength, at least in my eyes.

bitemepwe 12-23-2012 09:28 PM

Ive said the Path to 2409 is a good back story for STO .
One yjey have never filly used or developed on what areas they have used for the game.

I like the story of PT2409.

centersolace 12-23-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan (Post 7216541)
The individual stories themselves are decent, but nothing special. It's the overarching story -- the Iconians, the chaos in the quadrant, etc -- that gives STO strength, at least in my eyes.

I dunno. I think the fact that they've relied on these big huge baddies in big nasty epic encounters has actually weakened the story. As it stands, the game feels like DS9 with it's big, long overarching stories. While that's all well and good, that doesn't really work in a game genera that's more about bouncing around from point A to point B.

I think that if the game were more like TOS and TNG and was far more episodic with lots of self-contained stories, I think that would do a lot for the game.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 AM.