Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   dialog prompt reached (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=496331)

kamiyama317 12-25-2012 02:26 PM

dialog prompt reached

I have an NPC Contact standing in a room, I have added a dialog tree to the map for him, and under his "States" tab under where it says "State: Visible" I set it to Dialog Prompt Reached and then chose the dialog tree that I made earlier.

Upon play testing the map, I run up to the NPC and there isn't any option to talk to him. What am I doing wrong?

zorbane 12-25-2012 02:41 PM

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

kamiyama317 12-25-2012 02:52 PM

I want to be able to walk up to the NPC, and see an option to talk to the NPC that starts the dialog tree I made for him.

Shouldn't attaching the NPC to the dialog tree using the "Dialog Prompt Reached" option in his States tab, let me do that?

One of Kirkfat's tutorials showed him using wine glasses or something beneath the floor to create interactive buttons, do I need to do that to talk to the NPC? That seems really odd to me, but I might try that. You would think that you can just attach an NPC to a dialog and be done with it...

ajstoner 12-25-2012 02:54 PM

You need to interact with something to trigger the dialogue, be it an object, contact, or reach marker. Also, when setting the "Dialogue Prompt" as a trigger, keep in mind that you must set a single dialogue box as the trigger so if there are multiple "Success" lines the others won't trigger it. Have a single, final box that the character is always lead to as use that as your prompt.

If you need fails built into the dialogue (i.e. for a puzzle) then use the arrows uder the fail results to bring the player automatically back to an earlier part of the conversation to try again.

kamiyama317 12-25-2012 03:18 PM

Alright I put a bottle in the floor beneath the NPC and selected the bottle, went to the "States" tab, and picked "Dialog Prompt Reached" and selected the dialog I wanted.

I play tested the map, went over the the NPC, and there still isn't any option to start the dialog.

I am missing something here, and I don't know what it is. I watched a bunch of tutorials about added dialog to maps and I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

zorbane 12-25-2012 03:24 PM

What is the trigger to make the dialogue pop up visible?

kamiyama317 12-25-2012 03:55 PM

DERP! Okay I needed to select the dialog bubble on the map and link that to the object I needed to interact with.

I was changing options under the item I would be interacting with, I never thought I needed to change options on the dialog bubble, for some reason.

Ummm... While the dialog works now, it only works once and then disappears after you complete the dialog. That would be great in some situations, but I would like the player to be able to come back and talk to this NPC again if they wanted to. Talking to this guy isn't part of any objective, he is just supposed to give helpful information. Is there any way to make the dialog to reset itself after you successfully complete it?

zorbane 12-25-2012 04:02 PM

There's somehting called "Default Prompt" that you can attach to every NPC Contact and detail object. This dialogue is always accessible. That's probably what you want to use instead.

You can access it when clicking on the NPC and looking at the general info at the bottom. Click the checkbox "Has default prompt"

kirksplat 12-25-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamiyama317 (Post 7233611)

Ummm... While the dialog works now, it only works once and then disappears after you complete the dialog. That would be great in some situations, but I would like the player to be able to come back and talk to this NPC again if they wanted to. Talking to this guy isn't part of any objective, he is just supposed to give helpful information. Is there any way to make the dialog to reset itself after you successfully complete it?

Can you use a default dialogue for the npc? It lets him talk outside of anything in the storyboard. On the npc, there is a box to check: "has default dialogue."

edit: Zorbane beat me to it.

ajstoner 12-25-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamiyama317 (Post 7233301)
Alright I put a bottle in the floor beneath the NPC and selected the bottle, went to the "States" tab, and picked "Dialog Prompt Reached" and selected the dialog I wanted.

I see your problem right here. The bottle is the trigger for the dialogue and it (the bottle itself) is triggered by the dialogue if I'm understanding you correctly.

To trigger the dialogue, just put your trigger device (the bottle) there under the floor and don't wory about messing with its states--its fine where it is. Just have the dialogue triggered by interaction with the bottle.