Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind...... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=498581)

craigthemaster 12-28-2012 08:07 AM

Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind......

Im a little miffed to say the least. Firstly we were all happy with the old way getting drops data chips and what not the old way to get the MK XII MACO gear and we were told that this "new" way of a reputation would be for one, Quincker, Easyer and less of a grind. All I have done since they swaped it over is spray bugs STF's and fill up reputations with yet MORE currancies that have appeared in game. I have just reached Teir 5 and started filling some of the Romulan stuff and was suprised to see it only has a 2 minute cool down on he project but you don't get items from this you get accsess to a store where each item cost anything from 20.000 Dilithium upwards. What an absalut insult and joke to those of us that have played the game for so long and done nothing but constantly get punished with the constant grind of gear and time comnsuming up hill struggle to get the top level Gear. I really feel sorry for new players starting, who want to do PvP and get involved with the new Academy starting on the 29th of december. They can't get decent gear. Sheilds or anything and will have to constantly grind for about three months just to get to tear 5. Then constantly grind another few months just to get a half decent build. So by the time Star trek online is celibrating its 4th birthday next year you new starters should have atleast two decent forward guns and a turret or two. For the new MK XII Romulan sheilds you need 500 marks a bunch off dilithium 18.000 to be exact. (JOKE) So what more lies are in store for future releases. Are they ever going to do anything with the PvP areaner and culture. Probably not. It seems all the game is at the miniute is lock box hell and PAY TO PLAY OR WIN. What are your thoughts...

reyan01 12-28-2012 08:19 AM

All really depends if the ends justify the means.

I hit Omega T4 a few days ago, and am quite impressed with the Omega Plasma torpedo and the new Borg set. I would, therefore, argue that it was worth it overall.

Not convinced it would've been if the set was useless though.

craigthemaster 12-28-2012 09:22 AM

Im not saying that the stuff is useless and bad. All im saying is that to get there is more of grind then that of the old way. I do admit that some of the stuff I have tested on tribble server is great. (its all free if you wanted to go over test it the guy is on DS9 near to where we use to requisition the STF gear). Its got all the drops from the projects. Just think we have once again gotten the rotten end of the stick with gear grinding.

pennyprimrose 12-28-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigthemaster (Post 7266271)
Im not saying that the stuff is useless and bad. All im saying is that to get there is more of grind then that of the old way. I do admit that some of the stuff I have tested on tribble server is great. (its all free if you wanted to go over test it the guy is on DS9 near to where we use to requisition the STF gear). Its got all the drops from the projects. Just think we have once again gotten the rotten end of the stick with gear grinding.

I think a 100% certain reward of MK XII sets after 35-40 days of minimal grinding (1-2 STFs a day), is pretty good for new players. I played STFs for about 3 months and never completed a full MK XII set. You can bank up extra Omega Marks, because you will not be spending all of them for reputation every day. And you don't have to spend any of your BNP until you hit Tier V. So being able to level to 50, and then starting reputation, completing it and unlocking MK XII end game gear in about a total of a 2 month period is awesome.

cdiederichs 12-28-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigthemaster (Post 7265501)
Firstly we were all happy with the old way getting drops data chips and what not the old way to get the MK XII MACO gear

Are you on crack?? :confused:

NOBODY was happy with the old system, or were you simply not aware of the HUNDREDS of threads where we all denounced how unfair random tech drops were when thousands of Elite STF runs will still not yield a full set while at the same time a lucky first timer would max out.

In the new system, you know what you're getting and how long it will take. Simple as that.

craigthemaster 12-28-2012 10:46 AM

No I'm not on crack, What a horrible thing to say. And yes you know exactly what your getting thats the illusion. You can see the reward at the end of the rainbow. A very long rainbow of constant Grind. 1000 Omaga marks 36000 dilithium. You add all those STF's togeter at 940 dilithium. 60 Omaga marks you do this for all 6 bits of ground and space. And then the alts of those sets I guarantee its far better the old way. But yes you are going to get it the new way. But at so much cost. I just think they need to rethink the amount of Dilithium an stf you get or the amount it takes to contribute to the projects. Far to much.

themarie 12-28-2012 10:50 AM

No one was happy with the previous STF system. Months of grinding three or four elite STFs a day and managed two tokens for MK XII gear, and not even on the same character.

The solution should have been put the XII gear in the store for a very large amount of chips (100+ chips each piece). Or perhaps some sort of crafting element to it. (50 chips, X samples, Y samples, Z unrep material).

The rep system is ok, but the policy of having to re-grind from scratch, with little to no acknowledgment of previous effort has turned me off to the game. I haven't STF'd in four days, I'm just burnt out totally on running the same eight raids over and over and over and over some more.

Even if I come back and finish Tier Five, all I've done is unlock store where I have to grind hours across days to earn things... it's just not worth playing anymore.

The 8,000 a day cap sucks. The utter lack of "easy" sources of dilth sucks.

My suggestions to "fix" the system:

1) Eliminate the refine-cap. If I get lucky and end up with 10,000 dilth a day I should be able to process all of it.

2) Reduce the cost of everything globally in the unlock stores. We already toiled to get permission to buy these items, I should NOT have to grind another 54,000 dilth just to get the gun I want. At most AT MOST items should cost 3 days of max-refine. 24,000 should be the HIGH END price.

3) More sources for dilth. How about a vender that turns unwanted items into 100 dilth? A dilth auction-house where people can post XI and XII items for dilth. A box of 1024 dilth should be mission reward option for each and every mission, every day. There is no incentive to go back and play FEs and other plot missions once you have all the gear across all your toons.

mustafatennick 12-28-2012 10:51 AM

Agreed

I agree with you on your first point it takes forever with this new system but then again the old system could technically have took longer

The Romulus weapons are a joke really makes me lol when someone fires a volley of gimmick green torpedoes at my plasma resistant adaptive shield array which just about everyone runs these days for stf purposes

As for this "you can easily get mk12 stuff with two stfs a day" your having a laugh aren't you isn't it about 600 marks just for one item plus however many thousand dilithium

But can't complain too much as nothin will change for the better they'll just add more new content and forget about the severely bugged in places content that already exists or they could go one better In the new year and buff the jemhadar pay2win machine even more just for a right ol' laugh

ddesjardins 12-28-2012 11:01 AM

I understand your frustration. In the case of my TAC toon, I lucked out and got full MK XII sets in less than 20 STF's. I actually got the MACO XII shield from my very first STF, and to say I was stunned would be an understatement. I converted more weapons to dil than I can shake a stick at.

My Sci toon need more than 200 STF's to achieve only one set of Shields, Deflector and Engines. I ended up buying fleet weapons as I could not seem to get anything better than rare. Don't get me started on the ground sets.

The old system was at best random and inconsistent. From a players standpoint, it was the quintessential grind.

Fast forward to today, and I am nearly complete Reputation T5 for both Romulan and OMEGA. The process has not been a grind beyond the troubles and cost resets of the first few weeks. My only complaint is that 2 of my toons actually lack the experience necessary to complete 2 assignments per day. My other two toons have more than 5 million unused expertise.

Some of the early new consumables and and consoles are 'not bad'. Many of the T4 elements are 'very good to excellent'. The passive bonuses are 'alot of fun', and I'm looking forward to building a Romulan 'all plasma' vessel at some point. Given the damage I have seen a few deal in PvE, I am certainly intrigued.

The new reputation system is fun, offers opportunities to see new micro factions implemented AND add consistency to the development of characters. What more could you want?

kamiyama317 12-28-2012 11:31 AM

I hated the old system, to be honest. Most of the time we would complete and STF and it wouldn't drop a prototype borg tech. In the few times it did, someone else would get the roll on it.

I imagine I did over 100 STF's and never got a complete set of Omega. I never even tried to get MACO.

I hate the new system because it is still a grind. There are too many grinds in this game. You grind for your starbase, your grind for your embassy, your grind for reputation... They are all trash compactor mechanics where you log in, feed the compactor some valuable items, log out, and then rinse and repeat 100 times.

All I want is some set items. You shouldn't have to punish yourself this hard to get them!

Next "feature" to be released by Cryptic: Mail order blood donations! Send us your blood, get free items!