Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Torpedo Spread and Transphasics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=499151)

xenovi 12-29-2012 01:22 AM

Torpedo Spread and Transphasics
 
I noticed today while playing around on my Chimera Transphasic build that Torpedo Spread 3 only applies a 20% Shield Penetration buff to Transphasics, or so its tool tip says, however the default torpedo has 40% Penetration. Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or working as intended?

pottsey5g 12-29-2012 03:19 AM

As far as I remember it does apply the full 40% but the damage modifier for Transphasic is thr real problem. Transphasic do 55.5% of normal damage per torp, (total 222% of normal. While Quantum and Photon both get over 74% per torpedo over 295% total damage.

I never understood why different torpedoes get different damage boosts. It?s not fair.

iskandus 02-24-2013 10:17 PM

The way I read it, when you fire your Transphasic using Torp spread or HY, instead of causing a mere 10% bleedthrough, the bleedthrough is 20%. Note the wording they used specifically is "bleedthrough", not "shield penetration". The additional 40% shield penetration applies after the bleedthrough has been factored in. That is, of the 80% left, 40% will be penetrated for an effect of 0.4 X 80% = 36% Adding the 20% bleedthrough with 36% effective shield penetration, the total shield penetration that impacts the hull is 56%.

I used to use Quantum Torpedos, Mk XI, very rare (aka. purple) on the same ship, same aft bays, same number of torp and exact same crew. Yet, I was so disappointed that Quantum torp are close to useless so long as the enemy has a tiny amount of shield left that I switched to Transphasic. And yes, I am using Torp Spread 3. I have not been disappointed by the switch, in fact, my torps are actually doing some decent damages now - directly to the hull. Quite often, NPC blew up with their shields still blue, close to intact. Mind you, I am now using Mk XII Transphasic, very rare (purple). It was a beau risque that paid off very well since I did spend a fortune on the Mk XII, very rare torps.

dontdrunkimshoot 02-24-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottsey5g (Post 7274991)
As far as I remember it does apply the full 40% but the damage modifier for Transphasic is thr real problem. Transphasic do 55.5% of normal damage per torp, (total 222% of normal. While Quantum and Photon both get over 74% per torpedo over 295% total damage.

I never understood why different torpedoes get different damage boosts. It?s not fair.

this should totally be posted in that space concerns thread. all the torps should get the same buff from HY, and transphasics should not have their penetration nerfed by using abilities with them.

mimey2 02-25-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot (Post 8294901)
this should totally be posted in that space concerns thread. all the torps should get the same buff from HY, and transphasics should not have their penetration nerfed by using abilities with them.

Well, that post was made at the end of December, and this is a necro-ed thread, so maybe you should perhaps get it posted in there to be sure it is given a proper look-at?

cidstorm 02-25-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot (Post 8294901)
this should totally be posted in that space concerns thread. all the torps should get the same buff from HY, and transphasics should not have their penetration nerfed by using abilities with them.

But the different bonus rates help normal torpedoes be genuinely useful. (Not saying they are, but it helps).

borticuscryptic 02-25-2013 01:09 PM

I just took a look and verified the data.

Transphasic Torpedo Spreads are indeed doing 40% Bleedthrough. Their tooltips, however, have not been updated to reflect the proper internal data.

This will be fixed shortly. It's only a description/text change.

dontdrunkimshoot 02-25-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borticuscryptic (Post 8304541)
I just took a look and verified the data.

Transphasic Torpedo Spreads are indeed doing 40% Bleedthrough. Their tooltips, however, have not been updated to reflect the proper internal data.

This will be fixed shortly. It's only a description/text change.

good to hear. what about the damage modifiers granted by torp skills, why are they so in favor of quantums?

ocp001 02-25-2013 07:15 PM

You know, this might seem crazy simple, but why not increase torpedo damage to do damage to shields at a reduced rate (say 40%) plus bleed through and full damage to bare hull.

Or allow us to adjust the warhead yield through a slider between shield damage, kinetic damage and bleed through. Different variant torpedoes having bonuses to those catagories.

mandoknight89 02-25-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot (Post 8311111)
what about the damage modifiers granted by torp skills, why are they so in favor of quantums?

Multipliers in general favor high values to multiply. Since Quantum torpedoes have modest cooldown combined with high base damage, they are superior weapons when combined with skills.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM.