Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Bringing his idea back into light! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=499631)

jumpingjs 12-29-2012 11:16 AM

Bringing his idea back into light!
 
I cannot articulate how much fun more Trek-ish full 360 motion with roll would be. Now before you say, You would throw up if you flew a defiant! Well true, you probably are right BUT CONSIDER THIS ; a kind of "B" mode for space which chnages the way you control your space flight. Thanks for reading!

daveyny 12-29-2012 11:41 AM

This has been asked for oh-so-many-times, I've lost count.

It has been unequivocally said by the Dev's, this will not happen.

The game was designed precisely in this manner and They have no plans to change it.

The only thing DStahl has said different, is that the upper limit of the angle of attack on the Z-axis MIGHT be increased a bit more.

That was quite a while ago though.

centersolace 12-29-2012 12:27 PM

This isn't going to happen, and honestly, I can see why. Flightsims require a very specific set of spacial awareness and planning that not everyone possess. We live on a planet with very clear definitions of up and down. It is so hard for people to get rid of that feeling, that there are even very clear definitions of up and down in fiction, even when it makes no logical sense.

TL;DR Play Decent. You will learn what I mean very quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyny (Post 7278981)
The only thing DStahl has said different, is that the upper limit of the angle of attack on the Z-axis MIGHT be increased a bit more.

This however, would be welcome.

thratch1 12-29-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centersolace (Post 7279501)
This isn't going to happen, and honestly, I can see why. Flightsims require a very specific set of spacial awareness and planning that not everyone possess. We live on a planet with very clear definitions of up and down. It is so hard for people to get rid of that feeling, that there are even very clear definitions of up and down in fiction, even when it makes no logical sense.

TL;DR Play Decent. You will learn what I mean very quickly.

This doesn't make any sense. What people are asking for is the ability to move completely vertically on the Z axis -- the camera would remain quite the same as it does now.

WoW's flying mounts allow freedom of Z-axis movements. You can point your mount up, or just hit the space bar/x to move up and down, and nobody's vomited all over their monitor from it.

People aren't complete morons, they can get a handle on Z-axis movement.

maddog0000doom 12-29-2012 12:41 PM

i too wish for a 360o envioment in space. would be much more fun. hell i would prob dust off my escorts

centersolace 12-29-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thratch1 (Post 7279691)
This doesn't make any sense. What people are asking for is the ability to move completely vertically on the Z axis -- the camera would remain quite the same as it does now.

WoW's flying mounts allow freedom of Z-axis movements. You can point your mount up, or just hit the space bar/x to move up and down, and nobody's vomited all over their monitor from it.

People aren't complete morons, they can get a handle on Z-axis movement.

It's not that people are morons, it's that we think laterally due to living in a gravity filled environment. What jumpingjs is asking for is flightsim controls, and yes, 360 degree movement games like Desent, have made people throw up. I've seen it happen. :P


It's not a horrible idea, but it's just not practical.

idrona 12-29-2012 01:03 PM

- "Ensign! Make a hard 360 and set full impulse to .. eh North!"

As an old EVE Online player I first found STO space battle to be very limited, but now I've got used to it and it's not all that bad I think.

Of course the ultimate would be if we could fly on any axis and have huge fleetbattles etc, but that is up to mr. Stahl and co. I guess.

nixboox 12-29-2012 01:27 PM

Star Trek has rarely ever shown 3D motion. In Wrath of Khan the motion was UP, not 360 degree. So, if we had a button that would move the thrusters upward, that would be great, but we don't. And the Star Trek universe has never had any particular adherence to the 360 movement axis.

It would be great if we had captains powers that would let us do a 90 degree roll, or pivot at warp 2 or any other thing that the shows have shown - but we don't.

born2bwild1 12-29-2012 02:07 PM

The main problem in all sci-fi is applying up/down that we (except some few fighter pilots) experience everyday of our entire life.

In space there is no up/down - but it is almost always portrayed that was in movies/shows as it would be too confusing to most people.

I bet that most people don't know that the space shuttle spent most of its orbit with the "top" side pointed toward the earth - ie upside down - and only rolls over completely when making re-entry.

phyrexianhero 12-29-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyny (Post 7278981)
The only thing DStahl has said different, is that the upper limit of the angle of attack on the Z-axis MIGHT be increased a bit more.

That was quite a while ago though.

Actually the devs have never brought forth that fix they claimed in the patch notes from Season 3 a full two years ago. They said they were increasing it from 45 to 60 degrees, but I proved this was not the case over a year ago. I think asking them to deliver what's already in the patch notes is a good start.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 PM.