Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Intertwining ground and space PvE? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=499681)

archofwinter 12-29-2012 10:49 AM

Intertwining ground and space PvE?

Is it possible with in the games engine to intertwine ground and space PvE in real time coop?

I got the idea from Dust [some numbers] and EVE.

Can we have a coop PvE mission where a team of 5 or 20 players away team is on the ground battling massive amount of enemy while a fleet of 5 or 20 ships orbiting the planet must fend off reinforcement or giving orbital bombardment support.

Say if the space team(s) let an enemy ship get too close to the planet, the ground players will get heavier resistance beamed down.
The same can go both ways. The ground team(s) will have to shut off ground based anti-orbital cannons or disrupt a command center for orbital defense platforms that are in the space map. This in turn will allow player ships in the space map to bombard the planet from orbit or make their life easier.

mrkollins 12-29-2012 11:13 AM

Now imagine this between fleets, EPIC!

majortiraomega 12-29-2012 11:35 AM

Oh yes, this would certainly be very fun. The difficulty for the devs would be making communication possible between the ground teams and the space teams. The other challenge would be syncing a space and ground map so that actions in one place are represented in the other.

adamkafei 01-01-2013 04:07 PM

Yeah, it would give e something to do :)

truewarper 01-01-2013 05:55 PM

Possible, but not with this current game engine.

xantris 01-02-2013 06:15 AM

So how do you pick who gets stuck doing ground? Short straw?

archofwinter 01-02-2013 09:36 PM

It can go like the Salt Monster PvE where all the players get assigned to different zone randomly or give the players to choose first come first serve.

onehyak 01-04-2013 12:06 AM

This would be a quick way for me to never play STF's. I love this new system. I never have to suffer a Ground STF again. This system would force me to do them if it's random zone choice. To be completely honest, I'd just leave the match. Pretty much any option that takes the choice away from a player will never be supported by me.

questerius 01-04-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xantris (Post 7320991)
So how do you pick who gets stuck doing ground? Short straw?

Why "gets stuck".. personally i enjoy both ground and space war.

Considering how few actually play terradome at the moment i can't see it happening.

I'd love to see it happen, but i doubt it'll happen.

xantris 01-05-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by questerius (Post 7354291)
Why "gets stuck".. personally i enjoy both ground and space war.

Considering how few actually play terradome at the moment i can't see it happening.

I'd love to see it happen, but i doubt it'll happen.

See how long it takes you to get into a ground eSTF and you'll have your answer. Ground combat sucks.